“Nice pumpkin curry - but could do with more proper Indian dishes”
Review of Garam Masala - CLOSED

Garam Masala
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed November 17, 2012

Another Indian restaurant in Darwin that seems to have mix of Indian and other Asian food. Some interesting veggie dishes, as well as the rather boring saag paneer etc. Had a pumpkin curry - very tasty, although was very much a pumpkin dish, so would have benefitted from more non-pumpkin veg in it. Naan bread was to my liking, crispy, though my colleague prefers it doughy, so not a great sharing piece. Service was ok, though even with the restaurant only about half full, it seemed that they needed more than just the 2 waitresses.

There are newer reviews for Garam Masala

Reviewed November 16, 2012

My pal and I used to love this restaurant. In fact it was our absolute favourite in Darwin. It seems that the ownership has changed because the food, service and overall 'feel' of the restaurant has dived.

Initially the service appeared good, with waitresses hovering for your attention, but when you actually asked for something (glass of wine, clean a spill on the table, the bill) the service completely disappeared and the several waitresses appeared to develop collective deafness. It took 3 requests to get a glass of wine, 2 for the bill and a dollop of curry was left in the centre of the table when the waitresses cleared the table. She actually worked around this while getting the credit card slip signed (as though it was invisible).

And now the food. As stated, this was our favourite restaurant. The curries we were used to were hot, tasty and seemingly authentic. Now they are bland, insipid and frankly uninspiring. Even the presentation has fallen away. The curries used to be presented in copper pots, now they are simply slopped into white bowls and really don't look impressive at all. The raitha (raita) looked and tasted nothing like what we've had in the past (might have been store bought?) and the Naan was dry, badly burned around the edges and had hardly any garlic. When we complained about the naan, the owner tried to convince us that the naan was how it was supposed to be and the burnt bits weren't burnt. He replaced it, but to fix the 'dryness', he simply doused it with oil. Yum (not). The lamb dish (which we thought was supposed to be a tandoor curry) was 4 cubes of lamb on kebab skewars which were tough, dry and tasteless. As there are no knives supplied, we did our best to cut the tough meat with our spoons and forks but eventually I gave up entirely and my companion chewed on her pieces to break bits off.

We paid over $100 for a Thali banquet with a couple of glasses of wine for my companion and a single light beer for me. We felt completely ripped off and upset that our favourite restaurant had turned into such a failure. I think the restaurant will survive because of the tourist trade (being on the main drag) but repeat customers will be few and far between. We won't be back which is sad.

Reviewed November 5, 2012

Garam masala is one of my favorite places to eat. Beware some curries are really hot, but still tasty. If you are after something mild try the butter chicken.Their vindaloo beef is hot but so delicious. The staff are always friendly and fast. Try the business lunch for $12. I am never dissipointed when I go there. They cater for kids as well

Reviewed October 6, 2012

We chanced upon this restaurant, conveniently located in one of the main shopping streets in Darwin.
The staff were most obliging (we had not made a booking). The menu is comprehensive and cost was reasonable given it was a city restaurant.
Our food really was delicious and came very promptly.
Coeliacs are catered for.

Reviewed September 11, 2012

This indian rest was very nice, the food was a bit pricey but it tasted so good if you like indian give it a go. We did find it wasn't very spicy.