“Hit and miss, but when it's a hit it's definitely worth the misses!!”
Review of il lido - CLOSED

il lido
Cuisines: Australian
Good for: Large groups, Special occasions, Romantic, Scenic view
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Located at the Darwin Waterfront, il lido offers sweeping views over the Darwin Convention Centre, wave pool, lagoon, Stokes Hill wharf and to the harbour beyond. There are numerous areas you can choose from, dependent on numbers and all offer something unique and memorable. From casual and informal through to elegant and prestigious our friendly team will look after your needs. Specialising in freshly-plated contemporary Australian cuisine, il lido's a la carte menu offers innovative meals crafted by a passionate team of chefs. Or relax in our modern tapas lounge offering great share plates, wine, cocktails and good times.We welcome you to try our new menu, open for lunch and dinner 7 days
Reviewed March 19, 2013

Wish there was a rating between average and very good- when this restaurant is on a roll it does an amazing job but unfortunately it seems to be very hit and miss. We are Darwin locals and have dined here many times, the first few were amazing (if slow service) while the next time we had to leave the service was so disgusting and wait time over two hours! We returned to try out the breakfast and depsite being the only couple there, still had to wait a while and even then the order wasn't correct- my partner finally got his toast (!) after having eaten the rest of his breakfast.

So we waited a fair while to try again when along came a February lovers promotion. The deal was too good to miss just because of prior experiences and opinions. Lucky we did. Apart from the epic fuss of booking (eventually getting it in after a ping pong of missed calls) which was written in wrong and almost ended up in our table being given away, the night was lovely. We had a beautiful table right by the water, there had been a lot of effort put into the sourrounds to make it appropriately 'lovey' and the service was fantastic. Again after a slow start (bit of a wait on our wine, eventually we opened and poured it ourself after it was just placed by our table) the meal was very nice. Chicken needed a little bit more sauce (a bit dry) but lovely crispy skin and the steak my partner had was amazing. Desserts were suitably chocolatey too.

Overall, for the prices this restaurant charges I think that service is not quite up to par, but perhaps it is difficult to maintain levels with a transient work population that makes up Darwin. I recommend this place for a slow paced easy going lunch, the flavours are generally up to scratch and as long as you are not expecting five star you should be satisified. If the prices were slightly less I think that TA would reflect a more satisfied clientele.

1  Thank Amy S

Reviewed March 19, 2013 via mobile

Il Lido was perfect for dinner on a quiet but hot Tursday night. It was wonderful to be outside with the breeze from the harbour gently caressing me as I sat on one of the lounges munching on a delicious pear, parmesan and walnut salad and a traditional wood fired prawn pizza. Spunky waiters with friendly smiles, chilled music, and the occasional lightening bolt all added to the experience...

Reviewed March 17, 2013

I think trip advisor is out of control as our experience wasn't too bad.... chicken was great and service was what is to be expected here in darwin....T.A is a joke and crushing businesses

1  Thank chrisg364
Reviewed March 12, 2013

Sun night. My 1st time, my guests 2nd visit. 3 adults and a toddler. We arrived to find our booking not recorded. We waited ages for our meals. The staff brought the wrong drinks to our table, and a waiter came over after about 20 mins to inform us 'the asparagus pizza was not available' but it wasn't our order! But the menu said 'Sunday menu', so they had a week to change it if it wasn't available! My pasta dish- supposedly 'mains' size, had 16 pieces of rigatoni- for $23.00! My friend had truffled bolognaise pasta- almost no taste of truffle, and was told the chef said 'its made with truffle oil, not truffles'- why not just say so? No parmesan or pepper grinder was offered. All 3 meals were lukewarm. Although the restaurant was less than half full, other people were also complaining about the poor service. The staff seemed to have no idea. I was a catering manager working in special events- golf/tennis tournaments, Grand Prix etc, and we produced 1st class food in the middle of a golf course, so this is unforgiveable. My worst restaurant experience in many years

5  Thank steven h
illidodarwin, Owner at il lido, responded to this reviewResponded March 24, 2013

Thank you for the summary of what sounded like quite a negative experience for you and your guests. Here at il lido we strive for only the best in food and service delivery. We are currently training a new team and have some very strong superstars amongst them. We have discussed these issues with the team on this night and encourage you to bring any feedback you have on the night to the supervisor’s attention as we like to resolve on the spot. Please feel free to contact me on hr@illidodarwin.com.au if you wish to speak further.

Regards,

Darren Lynch

Reviewed March 11, 2013

I went for dinner with friends where 3 people received meals that were cold in the middle and required reheating. I put that experience to the side and went again on a weekend for an afternoon coffee and snack with a couple. We went to walk into the outside resturant area and was told we could not sit there as they were preparing for dinner. We sat at the outdoor bar area where we took a seat to be told we could not sit there as it was set for another party who were due to arrive. We began to settle at the only other outdoor seating available to be told not to be "...surprised if we were asked to leave because it was saved for another group in 1 1/2 hours." With that, I chose to leave and not purchase anything at all.
The thing with this was that we were not planning on staying long, but the staff were not helpful and seemed OK that they had just lost business. I will NEVER go back.
If you are planning to eat here, I highly recommend you go somewhere else.

3  Thank Melissa B

Thank you for taking the time to review us. This evening was definitely the night for functions bookings; however you should not have felt in any way that you were not welcome. We have many areas that comprise our business and perhaps more communication amongst our team would have resulted in you staying for a while. I welcome you back to il lido to give us a red hot try, please contact me on hr@illidodarwin.com.au. We will not disappoint.

Regards,