“Great Experience”

Northern Territory Indigenous Day Tours
Ranked #20 of 95 Tours in Darwin
More attraction details
Owner description: Learn the real story. Northern Territory Indigenous Tours’ owner, guide and former park ranger, Tess Atie, offers generations of knowledge about the Top End and outback on these unique indigenous tours. Aboriginal guided day trips to Territory Wildlife Park, Woolaning Spring and Litchfield National Park depart from your Darwin hotel every day. Tess invites you to experience inspiration, education and adventure in comfort and safety on her family's rugged and beautiful country.
Perth, Australia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Great Experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 10, 2013

I had visited Litchfield previously but this tour takes you on a whole different journey and is well worth the cost. Tess is such a delightful person and shares her immense knowledge of the area as well as her family history and customs. We experienced so much, from having our lunch cooked at Tess's place by the water to enjoying termite mounds. I would definitely recommend this as the tour of choice to the Litchfield area.

Visited October 2013
Tess A, Owner at Northern Territory Indigenous Day Tours, responded to this review, October 20, 2013
Thanks so much for your lovely words Kerry. I do aim to give my guests a great depth of understanding of the region, and to do that I draw on my and my family's very long experience in, and connections with, the area. I am so glad you took it all in!

Alexandra Headland
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Beyond Expectations”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 2, 2013

My Partner and I joined the Indigenous Tour to Litchfield National Park last weekend, with Tess who owns and runs the tour.
There are other tours running to Litchfield and although this one is not the cheapest we have to say well worth the money. She only takes small numbers in her tours. From the moment Tess shakes your hand and gives you a beautiful smile you know you're in good hands. She is full of local information and wonderful stories about her indigenous life. She cooked us a nice lunch on her property and made us feel like a great friend throughout the whole journey. We had lots of laughs as well, Tess is a character but this all added to a very educational fun day.
A must do, when in Darwin.

Visited September 2013
Tess A, Owner at Northern Territory Indigenous Day Tours, responded to this review, October 5, 2013
Thank you Pam for your lovely review. As you have noted we are not the cheapest as we don't have the economies of scale of the bigger companies, but we aim to provide the best value for money by offering so much more. Thank you again for coming on my tour.
Sydney, Australia
“Personal, inspiring and engaging!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 30, 2013

This was a fantastic tour and one I value for a few reasons! First, taking a tour with Tess is like having a conversation with a long-lost friend. She welcomes you into her world as you get an intimate and personal experience of her life, family, country and culture. Second, Tess is more than willing to engage and converse with you about anything...so be prepared to ask questions!! This is a privilege as you feel you are not restricted by a guided script...the tour is a two-way exchange and thus is also as great as what you make it! Third, it's flexible...so you can collaboratively discuss if you'd like to stay longer at one particular place or not. Finally, the lunch was amazing...freshly cooked and caught Barra and Kangaroo surrounded by beautiful country and filled with many stories!! Thank-you!

Visited September 2013
Wow, thank you so much for these words, Laura, you've expressed what our tours are about so well. Yes I am very keen that our tours are as interactive as possible and to my future guests: don't be afraid to ask anything, even uncomfortable questions. We will not be offended and will answer and discuss them as honestly as we can during our day together.
Alice Springs, Australia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Amazing”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 28, 2013

I learn so much with Tess,she is very proud of her heritage , and because she is a very good storyteller she pas on the knowledge of her people in a very easy way
The lunch was a delight

Visited November 2012
Thank you Evelyne for your lovely and succinct review. We try to ensure our guests learn the real story of the area.
Adelaide, South Australia
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“A littler disappointed”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 26, 2013

On the day we travelled with Tess she was not well but in the end she should have cancelled the trip that day as we did not receive half of the things advertised on the web site. We did not have a sit down lunch of fish, kangaroo,crocodile cheeses etc at a spring with tablecloths etc. We got fish served on alfoil as she forgot the plates and then forgot the knives and forks, no fruit or cheese.
We never went to Woolaning Spring and we were dropped off at a pub on the way home while Jess went to see her mother, this was not supposed to be in the package. I fully understand that she was not feeling well but we paid more for this trip than others available and it would have been better to cancel it on the day.

2 Thank Neil D
I am very sad that your expectations didn’t match reality. I am most saddened though that you have so missed the point of my tours. They are not about tablecloths, plates and cutlery. Most people want genuine experiences, and eating with fingers from whatever’s handy is actually how we Aboriginal people have eaten for millennia.
As the front page of our website says, our tours are not for everyone. For visitors wishing to be passively entertained, with a structured itinerary that ticks off the pretty places in the allotted time, there are many tours available. Our tours are not like that. They’re about Aboriginal stories and sacred places, bush resources and managing country. They operate on ‘Aboriginal time’. They depend on guests’ interests and input, and what’s around at the time.
I have to say too that I am sad that you have been less than fully honest in your review. In fact I did take you to my family’s private land at Woolaning Spring (although we didn’t have lunch there), and I did cook for you wildcaught barramundi, kangaroo and crocodile. I am saddened too that your review failed to acknowledge (as you did in a private email to me) that ‘the experience was rewarding learning about Aboriginal culture and life’.
On the day I explained to you that the guide I’d rostered on to take the tour was unable to do so at very short notice due to a sick young child, so I took the tour despite not feeling well myself. I do not believe cancelling the tour would have been an acceptable option, particularly as there were others on the tour to consider.
My guides and I will continue to express our genuine and heartfelt passion, lifelong experience and knowledge learnt from our ancestors about our beautiful country around Litchfield National Park, to provide high quality, unforgettable experiences for all of our guests.