“The most memorable, beautiful day, opens your mind and feeds the soul"”

Northern Territory Indigenous Day Tours
Ranked #20 of 94 Tours in Darwin
More attraction details
Owner description: Learn the real story. Northern Territory Indigenous Tours’ owner, guide and former park ranger, Tess Atie, offers generations of knowledge about the Top End and outback on these unique indigenous tours. Aboriginal guided day trips to Territory Wildlife Park, Woolaning Spring and Litchfield National Park depart from your Darwin hotel every day. Tess invites you to experience inspiration, education and adventure in comfort and safety on her family's rugged and beautiful country.
Perth, Australia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“The most memorable, beautiful day, opens your mind and feeds the soul"”
Reviewed August 30, 2011

Tess took myself and my two children on her tour last Saturday 27th August 2011 in Litchfield National Park near Darwin. Having travelled quite a bit and not being a fan of bus tours, I was sure this type of intimate small group tour would be something special. I was not disappointed. In fact the time we spent in Litchfield park and chatting with Tess and her daughter (who kept my daughter company) was life changing in a most subtle gentle way. Tess invites you in to her world with such passion and love for her people and her land. Every tour will be unique and personal and to a large degree what the traveller will get from the tour, I think will depend largely on what they put in. I feel richer as a person for the short time I spent with Tess and I am very glad that my young children were with me and we could share the experience together. I highly recommend this tour for anyone who thinks a little outside the square, I would rate this took as very special.

Visited August 2011
Tess A, Owner at Northern Territory Indigenous Day Tours, responded to this review, November 10, 2011
Thank you so much for your review of my tour. You and your kids were so delightful, and so much fun to take out to my country. You really hit the nail on the head with your comment about what you get out of something depending on what you put in. That is so true of life, not just my tours!

Thanks again for coming. I hope we meet again somewhere sometime.

Tess

Sydney, Australia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“The day I spent with Tess on her tour to Litchfield was fabulous.”
Reviewed August 28, 2011

She has the experience of indigenous customs and knowledge of her home country yet she as educated in melbourne. she took us to great spots, could tell us about the history, plants, how she managed combining traditional and western ways and how she was teaching her children both. she was extraordinarily openhearted and generous. You could ask and discuss anything with her. She cooked a great lunch in her gorgeous bush camp. I learnt lots and enjoyed just getting to know someone as extraordinary as this woman.

Visited August 2011
“If you are looking for a personalized and informative tour away from the traditional "get on , get off" the big bus then this is”
Reviewed August 23, 2011

This is a great opportunity to take a tour with someone who actually "lives" this area.
Tess grew up in this area, and is able to personalize the history, flora, fauna and wildlife.
A great opportunity.

Brisbane, Australia
“Tess was so informative and took you off the beaten track.”
Reviewed June 29, 2011

We would highly recommend Tess to get a real life experience on not just the Northern Territory, but to gain some insight into the Aboriginal people. We visited a wildlife park where we were instructed on some of the Territory's creatures as well as tasting and being shown some great bush food and natural remedies. Fabulous waterfalls, tasty lunch, soothing swimming hole, the sights and sounds of the bush together with Tess's personal family history and life made for such a well-blended day. Thank you Tess, I will also recommend friends to come and visit you and wish you well with your business.

Visited March 2011
Wellington
86 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 173 helpful votes
“The Real Deal”
Reviewed June 11, 2011

There are many ways to see Litchfield National Park as the swathe of coaches from Darwin each day proves. Many visitors will find it more comfortable to take the bigger standard tours and that's great. For visitors who want to understand Australia from a different point of view, Tess at Indigenous Tours is wonderful. Litchfield is her homeland and she shares it with you in unexpected ways, as well as ticking off the key sites. Tess's knowledge of the plants and bushlife of Australia is wonderful, and I came away realising that she sees her environment in a totally different way to mine. I see landscape and beauty and red dust, and she sees food sources and beauty products, water and resources. Tess's style is straightforward and she answers questions with honesty and sometimes unnerving frankness. If you want to see the sights and take the photos, maybe one of the bigger companies is going to suit you better. But if you want to see the world through very different eyes, the day you spend with Tess will stay with you for a long long time.

Visited May 2011