“It's lost its buzz”

Buzz Cafe
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed October 23, 2012

I've been a Northern Territory resident for 17 years and have been coming to Buzz for all sorts of occasions for all of that time. It used to be THE place to be. Our last few visits have been unsatisfactory and when we went there for a Father's Day lunch this year we found that it has lost a lot of its charm. Sure it's a great location but with the lack of service and the overpriced meals I'm afraid you have lost this local family as regular diners. Is it because you don't employ enough staff? Are you not paying them enough? They certainly don't seem like the happiest little bees in the hive. Sorry Buzz, but we're buzzing off elsewhere.

Reviewed October 12, 2012

Came here during a business trip to Darwin with a colleague. The meals were good bistro quality type food. There wasn't a lot of variety on the menu, but both my colleague and I were satisfied with what we had. It was presented well and was fresh and tasty.

The best thing about Buzz Cafe is the location. Most of the tables are on decking that stretches out to the marina front, and in Darwin's climate, it is very enjoyable to sit outside by the water and have a meal.

Despite the lack of variety on the menu, I would recommend this as a good place to eat.

Reviewed October 10, 2012 via mobile

I've been to buzz cafe a few times over the past 2 years living in Darwin and the place seems to have progressively gone down hill. It's set in a beautiful location however it appears that they use this as an excuse to serve not so good food from a basic menu with little choice. Prices are way over priced and the place is actually somewhat in need of a good clean and update. Service wasn't great but I put this down to it always being busy.....why it's busy I really don't have any idea. For the prices they charge maybe in the near future they could pay a bit of attention to the ladies toilets which are old and pretty vile. Overall not good in my opinion and the place has so my h potential. Also bring back the lamb shank pie.....this used to be great!!!!

Reviewed October 5, 2012

My husband was referred to the "All You Can Eat Seafood" place in Cullen Bay, but they were closed during lunchtime, so we went across the street to the Buzz Cafe. It was a late lunch @3pm, and the cafe was not really busy, so we were able to get a harbour view table inside. The waitress (European) was definitely annoyed to be working, and gave very little input, regarding lunch specials, or suggestions for items on the menu. We were determined to try the barramundi before we left Darwin, so we ordered 2 entrees and split the pan seared barramundi for our main. Unfortunately, she brought out both entrees and the main at the same time, so we had a ton of food all at once, which defeats the purpose of a nice progressive meal (for the prices they charge, service should be flawless). But, both entrees were delicious (soft shelled crab and calamari). Especially the calamari (best I have had in a couple of years), but it was obvious that both entree dishes sat around for awhile (luke warm). So where was our rude waitress? I assume she was too lazy or just didn't care to manage our meals, since the restaurant was practically empty. As for the barramundi....it was unbelievably good! We didn't get a chance to read the reviews before going to this place, but the majority of the TA reviews has a negative comment about the service. This is such a shame, since the food is very good, and the view is spectacular, but the decor is a little tired and service is dreadful. As for the men's bathroom, my husband showed me the urinal has a one way ceiling to floor mirror, so it gives you the illusion that you are peeing in front of the bar (it is quite funny).

Reviewed October 2, 2012

Had this place recommended by a friend some time back and made a special trip out there for lunch. We were the first people in the door and got a great table. Drinks and meal ordered ok and the place started to fill up with business types and a few people. Nice views and company. We noticed other people getting served who had ordered well after us. An hour later we were told there was mixup with our order (which was first by a mile) and meals would be straight out. Another European waitress then told us they would be straight out. Five minutes later they eventually arrived. The food was tasty and hot and correct at least but was it worth the wait and price - nope. The men's toilet is the only redeeming feature of the place but it's a bit out of place for somewhere trying to be a fine dining experience. Go somewhere else.

1  Thank Spoonbender01