“Looks like a 5 star hotel in a 5 star location, but behaves like a 1 star hotel”

Adina Apartment Hotel Darwin Waterfront
Ranked #8 of 37 Hotels in Darwin
Canberra, Australia
Reviewed September 22, 2011

My colleague and I will never stay here again, and in true bad experinece fashion have already started warning our friends and colleagues not to stay here.

The poor experience started at check-in. Advertised check-in time is 2pm. We arrived at 2 pm and were simply told our rooms were not ready. Apparently no other rooms were available. So we wandered off to find some lunch, after being told that reception would call one of our mobiles when the rooms were ready. They never called. We came back at 3pm and did then check in.

There is no concierge or door staff, our help with parking and luggage was restricted to the reception pointing to the entrance to the carpark next door.

Our stay went downhill considerably overnight. My colleagues air conditioning stopped working around 4am. Night staff could not fix it, and said that there were no other rooms available for him to move to. The hotel looks nowhere near full capacity, so we suspect either the night reception staff were not inclined to be helpful, or they are not given the authority to fix problems for guests.

I know about my colleague's dilemma because after the staff confirmed what he already knew, that the aircon was broken, they offered no solution for him to continue sleeping. He was faced with either camping in the hotel lobby, or knocking on my door and asking to sleep on the couch in my room.

The hotel offered no compensation the next morning. When he spoke with the duty manager later today, the management did not know anything about the problem from the previous night.

I agree with other reviewers, this property has a real problem with staff knowledge, accountability, attitude and ability.

The only exception to this was the hotel cafe/dining staff who were very pleasant, albeit restrained by other issues. When we returned today late afternoon and went to the cafe, my colleague asked for a small bottle of sparkling mineral water (not a big ask!) - none available. They offered a 1.25 litre bottle but he did not want that much. If I had been serving, I would have offered to open the big bottle and pour/sell the customer a glass of mineral water!!! Didn't happen.

We have concluded that the lack of customer service is not the individual staff members, rather it seems that Medina do not give staff the training or delegation to resolve guest issues. So we are not inclined to ever use this property for future trips to Darwin for business or pleasure. Great location, shame about the hotel.

Room Tip: Stay at a different hotel in Darwin if you are here for business and expect customer service.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
5 Thank horsefish

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (149)
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed September 21, 2011

Fantastic location - the waterfront precinct is an awesome place with great facilities and a great vibe. The walk to the city is short and a really nice way to relax. The hotel facilities were reasonable, although staff service was a little lacking. There seemed to be quite a few newbies who didnt really have a grip on procedures. Overall, for price and location, this hotel is a good choice.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Fiona P
katherine
Reviewed September 5, 2011

Just got back from Darwin, very hot in the build up to wet season, cant say i was too impressed with the hotel tho, was at a small function there, service was lacking and the staff seemed to have no idea what to do, ran out of everything from water to lunch items, the team i was with all said the same. The hotel room was small for the high price my work paid, breakfast was understaffed, every table dirty, but the food was fresh. Dinner was a different story, the staff did not crack a smile and made a handful of mistakes, did not impress me as i was paying for the whole table and thus responsible for the bad night. The highlight was the view from the room, the lowlight was the service we all got from the staff there.

2 Thank patrick w
australia
Reviewed September 1, 2011

Rooms were huge, basic kitchen facilities in room - bar fridge, microwave, sink if you wanted to use it.

Just a few steps from the conference centre with a wave pool out the front - I didn't sample!

Although it is down a cliff from the main part of town, there is a lift (elevator!) up to the level of the city, which makes everthing easy.

I had seen reviews that said staff were unhelpful - I ceertainly did not find that. They are clearly seasonal, as are a large number of Darwin residents, so I expect it is pot luck. All up, I was pleased with my stay - which consisted of 2 separate check ins and outs.

Plenty of eateries to choose from, so I didn't eat at the hotel restaurant

Room Tip: Harbour rooms have lovely outlook - others look at a cliff - private at least!
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank usuallynotgrumpy_8
Melbourne
Reviewed August 31, 2011

Stayed for one night (booked through Wotif) - it was the cheapest in the CBD at the time. Checkin was smooth, although the reception area is small, especially if there is a bus tour being briefed in the area at the same time. The advertised car parking facilities are the Public Carpark located next door. The hotel had run out of car parking coupons, but refunded your car parking costs.
I had a room on the first floor overlooking the entry of the hotel. Noise was minimal, but so was natural light. You could open the window, but then it became quite noisey.
The room was a good size with a large bathroom with disabled facilities. The bed very very comfortable with a mix of firm and soft pillows. The TV had a normal remote, but lacked a sleep timer (one of my pet peeves). The TV Channels were the local channels (including digital channels) plus a few Foxtel (News, Sport and kids - but no movies).
Breakfast at Curves was $17.50 for continental and $26.50 for full. There was a limited range of cereals, but a good assortment of cut-up fruit and juices. There was even Gluten free bread available.
Minibar prices are quite steep (aren't they all) with premium beer at $9 and light beer $5.50 Mixed sprits are $12 and $6.50 for a large bottle of water. Soft drinks were $3.50 and $5 for a Mars Bar.
The location of the hotel is quite good being on the waterfront and a 10 minute walk to Mitchell and Smith Streets.

1 Thank caggsMelbourne
Perth, Australia
Reviewed August 16, 2011

I have been to darwin on business many times and usually stay at the casino, this time for a change i choose the medina, it was more expensive then the casino so i expected better, how wrong i was! the check in was understaffed and staffed by unfriendly staff, i had to carry my own bags and park my own car, both things the casino did for me, my room was clean but not near the casino's size and class. I went to the curve cafe, it was dirty and again understaffed by unfriendly staff.. why? I know the casino is 5 star, but when you charge more then the casino then i expect the better service then what i got.. rite? The location was great, i ate at il lido after the cold breakfast and no smile curve. The walk around the water park was beautiful and the sun set fantastic. Pity about the hotel and the $

3 Thank busyman74
MVDNJanny, Manager at Adina Apartment Hotel Darwin Waterfront, responded to this review, August 18, 2011
Thankyou for your feedback regarding your recent stay at Medina Grand Darwin Waterfront.

We appreciate the time you have taken to provide us with your feedback. In relation to the points you have raised and I have addressed your issues with the departments to improve our overall guest experience.

I would like to thank you providing this feedback and if you would like to discuss this in more detail, please do not hesitate to contact me directly at the hotel.

Kind Regards
Janny Mallinson
Assistant Hotel Manager
Adelaide Hills
Reviewed August 16, 2011

Having booked into the Medina Grand for business, I was joined for my last two nights by my wife, and we enjoyed the amenities and being close the wave pool, coffee shops and the water front. The recent development of this area has been completed and it is a very pleasant place to stay, with a 10 minute walk back to Smith Street shopping precinct.

The Vibe and Medina Grand Darwin share the same Reception Area, restraurant and facilities, and I was unsure of the distinction between the names or the service. One Hotel being possibly built after the other. Effectively you are staying at the same hotel. While there is a cost for staying close to the Waterfront, there is plenty to do in the immediate vicinity. The staff were young, and enthusiastic, and in typical Darwin style, efficient while not in a great hurry and pretty relaxed.

We enjoyed a harbour view One Bedroom Premier Apartment, with its modern decor, separate kitchen / lounge / laundry, and small balcony overlooking the Darwin Convention Centre, Stokes Hill Wharf precinct, and the Wave Pool.
We also had an excellent view of the Tall Ship 'Endeavour' replica which was in Darwin at the time, with all its rigging and facinating wonder.

While the Darwin dry season weather is considered cold by the locals, at 30-32 degrees Celcius maximum dropping down to 16-18 degrees at night, this was considerably warmer than Southern Australia who were experiencing cold Winter weather.

We took the opportunity of using the Hotel Pool and the Gym. Unlike a previous Review which advised the Gym was way too small, we found it functional with five machines, with the best part exercising with a very pleasant view over the Hotel Pool and through a privacy screen to the Wave Pool and Water front lawned area. We used the gym and the pool twice, and while the pool was not heated, it was refreshing, if not somewhat brisk.

Room Tip: Harbour view rooms recommended to get the most from your stay.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Adelaide_Hills
The team at Medina Grand Darwin Waterfrontare delighted that you enjoyed your recent stay with us and thank you for taking the time to provide us with your positive feedback.

We look forward to welcoming you back to our Medina Grands in the near future.

Kind Regards