“Great location, lovely view” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Adina Apartment Hotel Darwin Waterfront

Adina Apartment Hotel Darwin Waterfront
Ranked #10 of 38 Hotels in Darwin
Port Lincoln, Australia
“Great location, lovely view”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 20, 2011

The waterfront is so close to the centre of Darwin. Over the sky bridge, and you are in Smith Street. Perfect. We were able to eat in the city to find something we like any night.
We were able to get a super special for the wet season, and it was worth paying a little extra to get the one bedroom apartment with a balcony. Gorgeous view out over the wave pool and Stokes Hill Wharf. The pool and gym came in handy for us, being wet season, we could still exercise whenever we liked.

The only thing that confused us for starters is that Medina and Vibe are actually the same hotel, just sold under different names. So we weren't sure if we were in the right place the first night when we turned up.

We found the staff to be friendly enough, although all we really needed from them were pool towels, so it was easy. However on departure they did try to charge us for items from the mini bar which we did not have. They waived this though once we told them we did not have them. Check the stocks in your room when you arrive to be sure. The cleaners tend not to notice what needs restocking each day. Not too bad though.

We would definitely stay here again. Rooms were clean, and the location superb.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
pwilmot, General Manager at Adina Apartment Hotel Darwin Waterfront, responded to this review, March 22, 2011
From myself and the team at Medina Grand Darwin Waterfront thank you for your positive feedback and we are delighted that you enjoyed your recent stay.

I look forward to welcoming you back to our in the near future.

Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (147)
Broome, Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2011

I wasn't surprised at all to read the poor reviews that others have put in about the staff and service. While the hotel is in a great location and some rooms have top views, this isn't worth the sacrifice of abysmal service.

I booked one night at the Medina on lastminute.com, arriving in the late afternoon on Australia Day and flying out at 9am the following morning. Unfortunately my mobile had broken while I was on holiday so I did not have an alarm clock. On arriving at the hotel, I explained this to the staff and asked if I could please have an early morning wake up call.

The following morning the hotel forgot the wake up call. I was 2 hours late waking up resulting in missing breakfast and being unable to take the airport transfer vehicle and having to take a taxi instead to save time.

When I told the staff they had forgotten the call and that I had subsequently missed breakfast and was likely to miss my plane, they immediately contested whether or not I had booked a call and then proceeded to spend ten minutes looking up whether or not I had in fact booked it at all. When they saw that I had booked it and that they had not woken me (and that, as a result, I was about to miss my plane) they did not apologise!

Instead, they simply charged me for an overpriced chocolate I'd had from the mini bar and told me if I stood outside a taxi should come soon enough (since due to the lack of wake up call I could not wait for the more affordable airport transfer).

I would never stay here again, no matter how cheap their internet deals may be.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled solo
3 Thank KimberleyLiving
Thankyou for your feedback regarding your recent stay at Medina Grand Darwin Watefront.

I appreciate the time you have taken to provide us with your feedback. In relation to the points you have raised I have addressed your concerns with my Fornt office and Night Audit team members to improve our overall guest experience.

I would like to thank you providing this feedback and if you would like to discuss this in more detail, please do not hesitate to contact me directly at the hotel.

Adelaide, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2011

During my stay the girls in reception and the restaurant made me feel right at home. Staff were very helpful when enquiring about the local attractions and the places to eat. The food was great and the rooms were very comfortable.
The scenery is awesome.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your poisitive feedback on your recent stay at Medina Grand Darwin Waterfront. It was delightful to read that you had an memorable experience.

I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Canberra
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 14, 2011

We stayed in a onebedroom apartment with a water view for 9 nights. We found the apartment very comfortable, meeting all our requirement with a full kitchen and laundry, within walking distance to public transport, enabling us to visit local attractions, close to supermarket and withing walking distance to wharf waterfront for a very enjoyable eveining meal. We booked several tours and were picked up at the front of the Hotel. The apartment was clean and well serviced each day. The comfort and location of the hotel made our holiday a very enjoyable and memorable stay in Darwin.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Maybarry
Perth, Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 1, 2011

Stayed at the Medina Vibe for 5 days, and overall it was pretty mediocre - really nothing to write home about at all. The room itself was nice, although the shower was a tad moldy and the faucet was broken (it still worked however, just kept falling off). Service, however, was sub par at best. Everything from cold food to mixed up orders to rude and unaccommodating staff; a most unpleasant experience.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank your_moms_a_hotel
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 25, 2011

This is a very unusual hotel, for some reason they have double branded it Vibe and Medina which I have never seen anywhere else in the world, the rooms are very comfortable though, would have been better with a balcony, but hey they views are great across the water and parklands. The beds are new and very comfortable, tv channels are limited to local and some national satellite channels. Pay movies were very expensive at $14.95 each and internet which you would expect to be free in 2011, was very costly!
The cleaning staff are very friendly and efficient, perhaps a mop of the bathroom would have been a good idea but still acceptable.
The front desk staff were a mixed bag, during the day very friendly but at night there was one particular staff member who was extremely rude and exhibited a racist attitude towards one of my colleagues who was an Australian Indian, this was very disappointing as I really thought the Top End had moved away from these attitudes.On arrival at reception on 29th December 2010 at just after midnight we would have expected a more friendly reception rather than looking around for the pitch forks and burning crosses.
Overall though, it was a very nice hotel, great location.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with friends
Perth, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 21, 2011

I have stayed at the Medina and the Vibe on 3 occasions and would have to say this was the most disappointing stay. The hotel is still new and looks great. You can't beat the location but, the service was average at best. The hotel staff provided below average service and they were not friendly at all. Their mood suggested that they did not enjoy working at the hotel and this showed in their performance. Probably the worst part was the room service food, it was terrible and, to top it all off the after hours menu and food is even worse. I doubt a trained Chef would put out this sort of food. I paid for 12 nights accommodation booked through Hotelclub.com.au and price got me through the door. As I travel to Darwin 3 times a year I will likely look elsewhere for my next visit.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank Daren L
pwilmot, General Manager at Adina Apartment Hotel Darwin Waterfront, responded to this review, January 25, 2011
Thankyou for choosing to stay at the Medina Grand Darwin Waterfront.

I appreciate the time you have taken to provide us with your feedback. In relation to the points you have raised I have addressed your concerns with the my department managers in regards to your comments and we are introducing initatives to lift team member moral. In relation to your room service comments have been raised with my kitchen team.