“Satisfactory, given Darwin prices”

Vibe Hotel Darwin Waterfront
Ranked #10 of 36 Hotels in Darwin
Reviewed July 23, 2012

I was very grateful to find accommodation at the Vibe in Darwin's high season. The rates are very high, measured against other cities, but seemed to be in line with general Darwin prices.

We had a really nice room facing the waterfront. One thing to make sure you know in advance is that the daily rate seems to be determined somewhat randomly! In a seven day stay, I was charged about 4 different daily rates. Cleaning also seemed a bit random and on one day the cleaners missed our room completely, while on the following day I phoned reception at lunch just to make sure that the omission was not repeated (it wasn't - the cleaners arrived and duly did their thing).

The room deserved a big tick. Nice bathroom, good shower and plenty of storage space for clothes; also good layout and good range of TV stations. Four computers downstairs in reception for internet access at a very reasonable rate of $6 per hour.

I was attending an event at the Convention Centre, and the Vibe was perfectly situated - 2 minutes away so that the heat of the day was not a problem. There is no better place to stay if you want to be close to the Darwin Waterfront precinct or if you are going on a cruise. Furthermore, it is only about 10 mins walk to the Smith Street mall, so it could hardly be better placed.

General note - visitors should beware of Darwin taxis. There are long queues at the airport (take the hotel shuttle). Worst of all was that the taxi we booked at 5:45am to take us to the airport just failed to arrive! The hotel staff did everything they could to solve the problem - we eventually joined someone else's taxi and the hotel actually paid for us, which I thought was outstanding service.

The reception staff were also specially helpful at all times.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank MartinBplus
VHCM, General Manager at Vibe Hotel Darwin Waterfront, responded to this reviewResponded August 17, 2012

Dear mhbplus,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us. It is great to hear that there were some aspects of your stay that you enjoyed, in particular the feedback on our friendly staff.

At Vibe Darwin Waterfront, we strive to provide the best quality service for our guests and we appreciate the positive feedback you have provided regarding our recpetion team.

It is our hope that you will give us the opportunity to better serve you in the near future.

Reviewed July 21, 2012

I've stayed in some of the best, and worst(!), hotels over the years in a number of countries. The Vibe Hotel, although not the best, was far from the worst or the most expensive. I read some of the reviews on Trip Advisor after we'd booked and BEFORE we visited the hotel and I have to say I was expecting the worst. All in all though, I was (mostly) pleasantly surprised with (the majority) of our stay.

Just a quick rundown - my husband & I stayed 5 nights at the Vibe Hotel (late June/early July 2012) in a serviced room/apartment (more on the 'serviced' part under Cons below) to attend my stepdaughter's wedding. We wanted something within walking distance of the waterfront & city. Although we didn't have a wharf view (we were looking out towards the front of the hotel over two buildings & a cliff face) we were happy enough with that aspect of our stay & spent so little time in our room and/or on the balcony that it wasn't a major issue for us in any event.

Pros:
* Lovely location. Right on Darwin Waterfront.
* New & modern.
* Friendly staff - we had no problems whatsoever with reception staff, who were very friendly and helpful at all times.
* Plenty of choice for places to eat within walking distance (I would suggest avoiding the hotel food, particularly room service as it was very average).
* Reasonably sized apartment/room.
* Clean & tidy on arrival (and when housekeeping had been in they did a reasonable job most of the time - that is IF you could get them to service the room!).
* Comfortable bed.

Cons:
* Wifi is pretty much non-existent in the rooms. Cost for broadband 'net access was insane.
* Having to pay $10 each day (or whatever it was - my husband paid the bill this time so I don't remember the exact amount) for parking was ridiculous.
* Almost impossible to have your room serviced. In the 5 nights/6 days we were there, housekeeping did not seem to service our room more than twice, and on one occasion, they seemed to do a very quick clean - even forgetting to empty the bins!
* Bathroom was ridiculously small and having to step up and into and then down and over to get out of the combination shower/bath could be very dangerous. It was an accident waiting to happen!
* Air conditioning was very touchy & hard to keep at an even, comfortable temperature.
* Room service was very underwhelming. Only ate at the hotel once, the pizza I ordered was horrible. On the plus side, it was reasonably priced.
* Coffee/tea facilities were very rarely topped up & the tiny UHT milks are useless - you need at least 3-4 per cup to get enough milk. They should supply at least a small carton of milk on arrival. It was also very difficult to get anyone to replenish stock even when you called with a request for someone to do so.

Oh, one thing I do need to mention is that we had no issues with the walk to our room from the elevator. Yes, it was a little bit of a walk (and we were not near the elevators, in case anyone thinks we were) but nothing too taxing. I assume most of the people that left negative comments about the "long walk" have never stayed in a casino in Las Vegas or they would KNOW what a long walk to your room really is!! Speaking of long walks, the walk from the car park to the hotel is quite lengthy. Whilst this was no problem whatsoever to either myself or my husband, it may pose a problem to some. However, the walk takes you along the waterfront so it is at least a pleasant walk with nice views.

All in all though, other than the problem with servicing of rooms & parking issues which really DO need attending to ASAP, the other cons didn't ruin our stay. We would stay at the Vibe again in future & would be happy to recommend it to friends & family. To management, PLEASE sort out the lack of Wifi access (which there is absolutely no excuse for in this day & age), parking & housekeeping issues - they are the major reason I have given the Vibe 3 out of 5 stars.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank thatgirl1269

Dear thatgirl1269

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us and I am sorry that your stay did not meet your expectations. It is great to hear that there were some aspects of your stay that you enjoyed, in particular the feedback on our friendly staff.

At Vibe Darwin Waterfront, we strive to provide the best quality service for our guests and it seems that we have failed on this occassion. Please accept my sincerest apologies. We have shared your feedback at length with the relevant departments so that we may correct this for the future. We will be paying particular attention to the issues you have raised regarding Housekeeping.

Reviewed July 14, 2012

My son and daughter and I came to Darwin for a sad family event for 2 nights and wanted some comfort in our room, so were happy to pay the top dollar charged by Vibe for a deluxe view room. Unfortunately it didn't quite live up to the price.

First the good points.. Location is brilliant, a short walk to the city but away from the main-street hustle and bustle.. mostly. Our room had a great view of the harbour and wharf that would be hard to beat. The mattresses and pillows were very comfortable. The room was spacious and had great hanging space, iron, ironing board, jug etc.The pool and spa were good, but as someone else said below, a bit off-putting having a public footpath right next to it, towels were plentiful and the gym looked great. Check-in was pleasant and fast.

Not so good points..

We were able to jag free car spots at the front of the hotel most of the time, so didn't have to pay the $10 per night ( ! ) extra for undercover parking. Surely this should be free for guests when you pay almost $1000 for 3 people for 2 nights?

I see free wifi as standard in a good hotel room. If you can get it at McDonald's you can get it anywhere. It was available all over Darwin wherever we went to eat. Australia has one of the highest levels of internet use in the world and it's obvious that most people will want it. However, the wifi in the room had such poor reception that I couldn't even get onto it to find out how much I was to be charged for it! I was happy to see there were computers near reception, but this is a poor alternative to browsing the net in your room.

Bathroom. As has been mentioned, the fans are noisy, you couldn't have a relaxing bath, but then you couldn't anyway because the bath is only big enough for a small child to relax in! The water pressure in the shower was poor.

Air conditioning. There was a strange system where the air-conditioning reverted to a high temperature if you tried to change it. It was pure good luck whenever we got cold air as the controls were very obscure. When it worked, it worked well though.

Beds. It was necessary to leave the window closed as Darwin drunks in the park below are not conducive to a peaceful sleep! Due to this, the room became quite cool in the early hours of the morning. Someone had the bright idea to make all the beds up so you could only pull the blanket up to your waist! They were so firmly tucked in that pulling them up involved getting out of bed and wrestling with the heavy mattress to get the blanket out - at 3am, by which time I was well and truly awake. Why??? Did someone decide the blankets look good like that? Just ridiculous.

Tea and coffee facilities.. There were "3" packets of sugar for 3 people. That was less than required for one cup of coffee each. Tiny cups are also unusable for a coffee drinker, but I was delighted that I asked for mugs from room service and they were promptly delivered. I had to ask because we were supplied 2 cups for 3 people in a triple room! Some hotels have this ridiculous belief that a few small containers of UHT milk are enough. They are not. you need 2 for an average cuppa and the half dozen or so were soon gone. It is a simple matter to put a small carton of milk in the fridge. None of the above was replenished for the 2nd day. I was happy to see decaf coffee supplied though.

Basically, most of these problems could be sorted by just a little more attention to detail. It would be well worth the effort for the hotel as the little things make the difference between guests returning or not. Unfortunately I won't be returning. If you pay champagne prices, you don't expect beer budget facilities.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank valdajoan

Dear Valdajoan,

At the Vibe we strive to provide the best quality service for our guests and it seems that we have failed on this occassion. Please accept my sincerest apologies. We have shared your feedback at length with the relevant departments so that we may correct this for the future.

Reviewed July 13, 2012

I am currently staying at the Vibe Hotel Darwin and I am shocked at the cleanliness of the room. The hotel is less than 4 years old but with the lack of maintenance and the terrible housekeeping the hotel looks like it is much older.

Being an avid traveler and having staying in many hotels and hostels around the world - I would rate the Vibe Hotel as one of the worst I have stayed in! There is no way they hotel can justify the exorbitant prices.

The location is good but I still would not recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: If possible, always ask to see the room before you commit.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank Nikita76
Swoodbury, Manager at Vibe Hotel Darwin Waterfront, responded to this reviewResponded July 16, 2012

Dear Nikita76,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us some feedback on your recent stay at the Vibe Darwin Waterfront.

I would like to apologise in advance for any inconveniences caused during your stay. Due to the anonymity on Trip Advisor, it makes it hard for us to follow up and contact you directly in relation to this feedback. I strongly encourage you to contact myself on 08 8982 9999 so that we can discuss your stay in further detail with you over the phone or if you are still currently in house it would be great to meet with you.

We certainly do value your patronage and we would like the opportunity to welcome you back again so that we may provide the service and standard that we pride ourselves.

Reviewed July 10, 2012

We only stayed here for one night at the end of June and have to echo some of the comments made in recent reviews.
This is a new hotel in a developing part of the city and on the surface, looks very modern and 'swish'. But there is some key attention to detail missing: our room had no wine glasses, coffee and milk provided - but no kettle (!), and the noisiest exhaust fan possible in the bathroom (which came on everytime you switched on the light). As a previous reviewer mentioned, this made it really difficult to enjoy a relaxing bath. In a brand new hotel, these types of issues are just unacceptable.
A previous reviewer also mentioned reception appearing to be understaffed and I did also notice that it was one of the most manic reception areas that I've come across.
Overall, the hotel experience was average - and most definitely overpriced!
The area immediately surrounding the hotel is very much a work in progress and, in a few years, may become a thriving area: in the meantime, there's not a great deal going on and lots of empty retail premises and development. Consequently, it would be good if the hotel had put some effort into its bar area.... but the hotel bar - Curve bar - is disgraceful.
If you like dodgy music, no atmosphere and terrible cocktails, this might be the place for you. If not, give it a miss and head into town.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear SJandKK

Thank you for your feedback, i am sorry that your stay did not meet your expectations.

At the Vibe we strive to provide the best quality service for our guests and it seems that we have failed on this occassion. Please accept my sincerest apologies. Please note that I have discussed this feedback at length with the relevant departments so that we may correct this for the future.

Reviewed July 9, 2012

Vibe has prime position on the newly developed waterfront with easy access to the centre of the city and public transport when required. There are many options for meals both in the hotel and nearby and, inexpensively, at the wharf precinct which is a pleasant walk away. Our room overlooked the harbour and provided an excellent vantage point to start and finish each day. The room was clean with all the amenities one would expect in a new facility though the air con was not responsive to changes made in the room. We experienced some trouble in our room fridge not having the milk replenished and on one occasion our room was not "made up". No doubt, this could have been rectified with a call to reception which we did not bother to do.
The staff we met were all pleasant and especially so in the bar area when we had evening drinks and bar food.
The hotel pool was a disappointment as the water temperature was so cold we were not able to swim although the outside temperature was in the low 30's.
We stayed for 6 days and overall our experience was a very pleasant one.

Room Tip: A room overlooking the harbour though more expensive gives an extra luxury feel to the stay.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Jack N

Dear jnormand,

Thank you for taking the time to provide some feedback on your recent stay at the Vibe Darwin Waterfront.

I was disappointed to hear your comments regarding the airconditioning, fridge and lack of attention from housekeeping . Please accept my sincerest apologies.

Please note that we strive to provide a high quality service and standard and it appears that we failed on this occassion. I have passed on your comments with the relevant department concerned so that these occurences may be avoided in the future.

Reviewed July 8, 2012

Vibe is a relatively new hotel that provides a decent location on the waterfront and spacious rooms with a good overall experience.
The big con for us was the price, with rates starting at 235 and going up easily to more than 400 we expected more.
The swimming pool is small and unattractive (try the waves pool right in-front of the hotel for $8 for the whole day instead), the reception was understaffed most of the time and there was no chance whatsoever to talk to the receptionists without standing in a line including Sunday 8 am!!!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear Yoyyo

We very much appreciate your comments regarding your stay at the Vibe Hotel Darwin Waterfront.

I am sure that this feedback will serve as an encouragement to all of our team as we strive to continuously improve the quality of our services.

Thank you again for sharing your experience.