“Mixed feelings”

Ranked #20 of 37 Hotels in Darwin
Darwin, Australia
“Mixed feelings”
Reviewed July 22, 2014

I had booked what I thought was a 2 bed unit through Qantas. Cancelled that booking. Re booked superior unit. Filled out online check in requesting a low level floor which was a waste on time. When we checked in I was handed a key for the fifth floor. I asked for a low floor and got level 2. We unpacked and ready to settle in to find the previous guest had flooded the bathroom and a large part of the carpet by the bed was soaked. Then given a 6th level room to find that had also had spill over from the bathroom and the room stunk. I went to reception the check in person went to her manager who finally came out obviously not happy that I interrupted what she was doing. I asked does anyone check the rooms. The reply "they usually do". What a disappointment to what we thought was going to be a five star weekend.

Room Tip: Make sure you get what you pay for.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Mackerz
JustinBoydell, General Manager at Novotel Darwin Airport, responded to this review, July 29, 2014
Thank you for your review of your stay with us at Rydges Darwin Airport Hotel. I appreciate your time in giving us your feedback as it helps to improve service standards for the future.
Please accept my sincere apologies that your stay did not exceed your expectations. The issues relating to water in your room have been noted and our maintenance team will ensure they are resolved promptly. Our management team is always happy to ensure the satisfaction of our guests, however I am disappointed that this was not the impression you received. Every one of our rooms is checked after they are cleaned and I will ensure housekeeping is aware of this specific detail.
Again, I appreciate your feedback and hope to have the opportunity to make amends in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
Saint Geyrac
Reviewed July 20, 2014 via mobile

Courtesy bus available to & from Darwin airport.
Check in fast & friendly. Chinese restaurant so bit average go across to the Rydges Resort for better food. Room comfortable & quiet except for the air conditioning. Good hotel for a one night stay when flying in & out. Only problem is the internet; can't believe you still get charged to go on line for anything more than 30 MB. It's the 21st century! most hotels around the world offer free unlimited wifi now. Plus even if you pay, a time limit is put on so you lose it if you don't use it. Daylight robbery.

Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Steve H
I appreciate you taking your time to review your stay at Rydges Darwin Airport Hotel. Our guest's feedback is an important tool in ensuring friendly and consistent standards of service for all guests.
I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us, however, I have noted the slightly noisy air conditioning which maintenance will rectify.
Our Wi-Fi offering is free for the first 30MB which is sufficient for most guest's browsing and e-mail review. Streaming and large downloads will definitely exceed the usage limit.
Thank you for your patronage and choosing to stay with us. We hope to see you back again soon.
Greater Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed July 18, 2014

This is an expensive hotel in peak season and is bellow average. for what you should expect from a major brand at an airport. The building is old and shows it. Lights did not work and had not been corrected and the check in was a farce because the system was down. The restaurants were fine and the service at the restaurants quite good but the food and wine as expensive. Front desk was less than professional. Yes the system was giving problems but the attendant just disappeared and did not return. A serious look at the management is needed. The Rydges system offered 20% off food and beverage at their restaurants but it was false; only food at one restaurant. Watch on for the 3.5% surcharge on AMEX

Room Tip: This is a tired old hotel; time for a change and totally over priced
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Oldjack
Thank you for taking time to provide a review for your recent stay at Rydges Darwin Airport Hotel. Your feedback is greatly appreciated and is an important tool for improving our standards.
I am sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your stay. We are currently undergoing refurbishments to improve our property and facilities for our guests and I have also noted the issues encountered during check-in with our Front Office Team.
Our Priority Guest Rewards Program gives members discounts at Rydges properties and restaurants around Australia and New Zealand including a 20% discount off food and beverages at the restaurant. Unfortunately Loong Fong is not a Rydges owned restaurant and does not offer the discount. I sincerely apologise for this misunderstanding.
Feel free to contact me if you're in Darwin as I would appreciate the opportunity to make amends.

Travelers are raving about these Darwin hotels

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed July 14, 2014

We thought we were staying at the resort next door but it was the Hotel, One of our group thought it looked a little like a jail, however once inside it was a clean and well equipped 2 bedroom apartment that we had for a night. The chines Restaurant scared me, but once in we were blown away. Beautiful steamed barramundi and a great dinner all round. good washing facilities in my room for all our dirty trek clothing! Comfy beds, quality linen and beautiful soft new looking towels. A winner for our family. Free shuttle to airport was handy too.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Thank you for your review on your recent stay at Rydges Darwin Airport Hotel. Your feedback is greatly appreciated in our endeavour to continually provide quality service.
I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us and appreciate your appraisal of our facilities. Loong Fong Chinese Restaurant is much loved by locals and guests alike and I am happy you agree.
Although the airport is a quick walk, our 24-hour courtesy shuttle is a key selling point and is a must for guests in transit.
Thank you for choosing to stay with us and we hope we see you back here again soon.
Darwin
Reviewed July 9, 2014

I was skeptical to start with when he hallways smelt of paint and picture frames were on the floor leaning against the wall. My room was even more of a let down with dust surrounding every piece of furniture on the carpet. There were even dust markings to show where some of the furniture had been moved slightly.
I was also at a complete loss as to what they were going for in terms of interior decoration, the carpet was a dark green which reminded me of conference room floors in the 90's.
Although the bed was comfy and linen fresh, I found it hard to feel comfortable in such a dusty environment.

Thankfully the pool was the only nice thing about this place, and it was just an ordinary lap pool. Would definitely urge people to stay elsewhere; reminded me of a motel, not a rydges hotel

Room Tip: Ask to check the room before being assigned.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank 73Christine2013
JustinBoydell, General Manager at Novotel Darwin Airport, responded to this review, July 21, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review into your recent stay at the Rydges Darwin Airport Hotel. Your feedback provides a valuable tool which we use to ensure we deliver friendly and consistent levels of service.
Please accept my apologies for the inconvenience the corridor painting has caused on your recent stay. We tried to minimise the impact of this painting as much as possible and have it completed with a team of painters inside the week. The sanding of the walls may have impacted on your guest room dustiness as well.
I have also passed on your feedback to the housekeeper for your follow up with some spring cleaning in the room you stayed in.
I realise this painting has impacted your stay and should you be travelling through Darwin please don't hesitate to contact me as I will appreciate the opportunity to make amends.
Noosa, Australia
Reviewed July 6, 2014

Handy to the airport but a fair distance to the city. Rooms are OK, nice pool, bar and restaurant. Had an issue in the restaurant where due to the accent of the waitress there was confusion when I went to pay the bill. I put the meal to my room and let reception staff know about it when I checked out. There were minimum questions from them and I was charged as quoted. Impressed with the way it was dealt with.

Room Tip: Rooms over the right hand side of the hallway overlook the pool area, left hand side overlook the ro...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Thanks for taking the time to write a review in relation to your recent stay. Our guest feedback plays an important role in ensuring we deliver consistent levels of service to all our guests,
As you note we are very convenient to the airport and whilst we are 13km from the main CBD we do offer a complimentary City shuttle at 10am and 5pm daily for our guests.
Please accept my sincere apologies for the inconvenience caused by the mix up in the restaurant and I am glad this could be resolved by the Front Desk upon check out.
Thanks again for your review and for choosing to stay at the Rydges Darwin Airport Hotel.
Alice Springs, Australia
Reviewed July 5, 2014 via mobile

Stayed for 7 hours, charged $249...
Nothing that hasn't already been said.
Overpriced. Some attempts at a refurb are happening as our floor (4) stunk like fresh paint, to the point of nostril burning.
Bathroom could have used a good scrub. Room was quiet, had to open the window in bathroom as room steamed up and I thought the fire alarm was going to go off!
5 minute walk to airport through a scenic frondy ( at night slightly dim lit) path.
Stay if you're worried about missing a flight, or go into Darwin and stay at meleluecas backpackers, at least you get what you pay for there!

Stayed July 2014
I appreciate the time you've taken to provide a guest review about your recent stay as your feedback is a necessary tool in improving our service and accommodation standards for the future.
The month of July is in Darwin's peak season so rates and demand are quite high. Outside of the months June-September there will be more valuable accommodation deals available in the the market.
As you noticed, we are currently undergoing refurbishments to upgrade our hotel and resort properties which, unfortunately, does impact some aspects of your stay for a minimal period of time.
While the airport is only a short walk away, we do offer a 24-hour, on-demand courtesy shuttle to and from the airport for the comfort of our guests.
If, again, you are in Darwin feel free to contact me as I would appreciate the opportunity to make amends.