“Great hotel near airport”

Novotel Darwin Airport
Ranked #20 of 37 Hotels in Darwin
Sydney, Australia
“Great hotel near airport”
Reviewed July 14, 2014

We thought we were staying at the resort next door but it was the Hotel, One of our group thought it looked a little like a jail, however once inside it was a clean and well equipped 2 bedroom apartment that we had for a night. The chines Restaurant scared me, but once in we were blown away. Beautiful steamed barramundi and a great dinner all round. good washing facilities in my room for all our dirty trek clothing! Comfy beds, quality linen and beautiful soft new looking towels. A winner for our family. Free shuttle to airport was handy too.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
JustinBoydell, General Manager at Novotel Darwin Airport, responded to this review, July 29, 2014
Thank you for your review on your recent stay at Rydges Darwin Airport Hotel. Your feedback is greatly appreciated in our endeavour to continually provide quality service.
I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us and appreciate your appraisal of our facilities. Loong Fong Chinese Restaurant is much loved by locals and guests alike and I am happy you agree.
Although the airport is a quick walk, our 24-hour courtesy shuttle is a key selling point and is a must for guests in transit.
Thank you for choosing to stay with us and we hope we see you back here again soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
Darwin
Reviewed July 9, 2014

I was skeptical to start with when he hallways smelt of paint and picture frames were on the floor leaning against the wall. My room was even more of a let down with dust surrounding every piece of furniture on the carpet. There were even dust markings to show where some of the furniture had been moved slightly.
I was also at a complete loss as to what they were going for in terms of interior decoration, the carpet was a dark green which reminded me of conference room floors in the 90's.
Although the bed was comfy and linen fresh, I found it hard to feel comfortable in such a dusty environment.

Thankfully the pool was the only nice thing about this place, and it was just an ordinary lap pool. Would definitely urge people to stay elsewhere; reminded me of a motel, not a rydges hotel

Room Tip: Ask to check the room before being assigned.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank 73Christine2013
JustinBoydell, General Manager at Novotel Darwin Airport, responded to this review, July 21, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review into your recent stay at the Rydges Darwin Airport Hotel. Your feedback provides a valuable tool which we use to ensure we deliver friendly and consistent levels of service.
Please accept my apologies for the inconvenience the corridor painting has caused on your recent stay. We tried to minimise the impact of this painting as much as possible and have it completed with a team of painters inside the week. The sanding of the walls may have impacted on your guest room dustiness as well.
I have also passed on your feedback to the housekeeper for your follow up with some spring cleaning in the room you stayed in.
I realise this painting has impacted your stay and should you be travelling through Darwin please don't hesitate to contact me as I will appreciate the opportunity to make amends.

Travelers are raving about these Darwin hotels

Noosa, Australia
Reviewed July 6, 2014

Handy to the airport but a fair distance to the city. Rooms are OK, nice pool, bar and restaurant. Had an issue in the restaurant where due to the accent of the waitress there was confusion when I went to pay the bill. I put the meal to my room and let reception staff know about it when I checked out. There were minimum questions from them and I was charged as quoted. Impressed with the way it was dealt with.

Room Tip: Rooms over the right hand side of the hallway overlook the pool area, left hand side overlook the ro...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Thanks for taking the time to write a review in relation to your recent stay. Our guest feedback plays an important role in ensuring we deliver consistent levels of service to all our guests,
As you note we are very convenient to the airport and whilst we are 13km from the main CBD we do offer a complimentary City shuttle at 10am and 5pm daily for our guests.
Please accept my sincere apologies for the inconvenience caused by the mix up in the restaurant and I am glad this could be resolved by the Front Desk upon check out.
Thanks again for your review and for choosing to stay at the Rydges Darwin Airport Hotel.
Alice Springs, Australia
Reviewed July 5, 2014 via mobile

Stayed for 7 hours, charged $249...
Nothing that hasn't already been said.
Overpriced. Some attempts at a refurb are happening as our floor (4) stunk like fresh paint, to the point of nostril burning.
Bathroom could have used a good scrub. Room was quiet, had to open the window in bathroom as room steamed up and I thought the fire alarm was going to go off!
5 minute walk to airport through a scenic frondy ( at night slightly dim lit) path.
Stay if you're worried about missing a flight, or go into Darwin and stay at meleluecas backpackers, at least you get what you pay for there!

Stayed July 2014
I appreciate the time you've taken to provide a guest review about your recent stay as your feedback is a necessary tool in improving our service and accommodation standards for the future.
The month of July is in Darwin's peak season so rates and demand are quite high. Outside of the months June-September there will be more valuable accommodation deals available in the the market.
As you noticed, we are currently undergoing refurbishments to upgrade our hotel and resort properties which, unfortunately, does impact some aspects of your stay for a minimal period of time.
While the airport is only a short walk away, we do offer a 24-hour, on-demand courtesy shuttle to and from the airport for the comfort of our guests.
If, again, you are in Darwin feel free to contact me as I would appreciate the opportunity to make amends.
Wrexham County, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 2, 2014

Stayed in many hotels around the world and usually very pleased with results. Although had a very bad experience with this hotel, and will not be returning. Flight was cancelled, so was awarded a free nights stay in this hotel. Fairly pleased with the location to airport and decor of the hotel is nice. Upon check out the next day we were told our flight was cancelled again and the air line were to pay for another nights stay. My friend and I constantly checked this was the case still throughout the day, and were told by the staff that it was definitely paid for. The next morning we awoke to a piece of paper saying the airline weren't to pay for it, and we would have to pay. They "graciously" offered a reduced rate, but after being told we were having a free night it did not really ease our annoyance! Complained to staff, but they were very unhelpful telling us we just have to pay it.

Staff were very unhelpful and abrupt throughout our stay. Food was very over priced, and tried to charge us for more food than ordered. Very unorganised with room designation, because my friend and I had a double room whilst people on their own were awarded a room with 2 beds!

Only positives were hotel was adequately decorated, pool area was nice and alcohol wasn't too expensive.

Overall, would NOT recommend this hotel to anyone!

Room Tip: Choose another hotel
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Jon_Say
Thank you for providing feedback on your stay at Rydges Darwin Airport Hotel. Your review is an important tool that we can use to rectify issues for the future.
I extend my sincere apologies for the communication issues that you encountered during your stay as we were dealing with a third-party agent in conjunction with the airline that had lead us to believe that they would cover both night's of your stay, only to renege their offer. This left both the guest and ourselves in a unfortunate position which we attempted to minimise the impact by offering a reduced rate. I will follow up with the Front Office Manager to ensure the team can handle these rare situations better in the future.
Should you be travelling to Darwin again, do not hesitate to contact me as I would welcome the opportunity to make amends.
Perth, Australia
Reviewed July 1, 2014

Nowadays Darwin isn't very remote, so the cost of this hotel, for the service is really poor.
The whole hotel needs to be refurbished, its looks awful. The rooms are dated, the bathrooms suite is poor, I have had better in dongas.

The choice of an asian restaurant downstairs, to me is surprising, Im not sure how many people come to Darwin for the asian food?.......The decor of that too looked awful.

I won't be back

Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
JustinBoydell, General Manager at Novotel Darwin Airport, responded to this review, July 24, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your recent stay at the Rydges Darwin Airport Hotel. Our feedback plays an important role in improving our guest service.
Please accept my sincere apologies that the hotel did not meet your expectation during your recent stay.
I noted you commented on the decor of the hotel and we are undertakng a refurbishment of the guest corridors and carpets over the next few months.
Should you be travelling into Darwin I would welcome the opportunity to make amends for this stay.
Perth, Australia
Reviewed June 26, 2014

Overpriced, noisy, poorly appointed. This hotel ticks no boxes.

I stay in over 50 hotels a year in 5-6 countries and can not recall worse value for money.

OK, I get it is an airport hotel, associated with excited chatter and people going places, but this is just poor. Dated décor, uncomfortable bed, no water or soft drink in the mini bar, blind runners trapped into rail, uncomfortable pillow.

And the noise. Room 214 for me, doors banging, voices, screaming, clatter at all hours of the night.

For the Rydges brand this is the poor cousin. My worst hotel experience in a very long time

Room Tip: Stay at a different hotel!
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Matthew W
Thank you for taking the time to write a review in regard to your recent guest stay. Our guest feedback plays an important role in ensuiring we provide a friendly and efficient level of customer service.
Please accept my apologies that you did not enjoy the hotel and your stay was impacted by other guests arriving and departing. I understand that this was a busy day for the hotel and there was some groups staying but this should not have impacted you as it has.
I have noted your room for a review of the roller blind by maintenance as well. Please don't hesitate to contact me if you are travelling into Darwin in the near future as I would welcome the opportunity to make amends on your next stay. Thanks again for providing the feedback.