“Relaxing place to be after a long flight”

Novotel Darwin Airport
Ranked #21 of 36 Hotels in Darwin
Reviewed April 8, 2014 via mobile

Wr have overnight stay in darwin before we fly to our final destination and rydges airport hotel was so great to stay free shuttle nothing to worry about transfer from airport to your hotel rooms was clean only suggention is i hope they put some complimentary water in the room, which is most hotel we stay have. But the rest was fine we will be back.

Stayed: April 2014
1  Thank MMM D
JustinBoydell, General Manager at Novotel Darwin Airport, responded to this reviewResponded July 24, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on your recent stay at the Rydges Darwin Airport Hotel. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay and your feedback plays an important role in reviewing our guest service.
The shuttle service is a great convenience and gets you to and from the airport quickly. A handy tip for the Darwin Airport is that during the day and night there are several peak periods where several flights land and depart at the same time so it is always good to get there a touch earlier to beat the queues at security and check in.
Thanks again for taking the time to review the hotel.

Reviewed April 8, 2014

After setting off from Malaga Southern Spain on Sunday at 13:30 and numerous flight connections later I finally landed in Darwin Australia 06:40 am Tuesday "this "morning.
Getting thru immigration and customs was a breeze nothing like " Australian border force "I'd seen on telly.
A quick drive from the airport and I arrived at the hotel, jet lagged and a bit smelly so a quick check in at the hotel was in order.
I was booked into a Superior single room, all I wanted was to get into my room and have a shower - over 35 hours of sitting around in airports and on planes isn't the most hygienic experience I've had in a while.
But I was told that I couldn't get into my room until 1pm, anyway rules are rules, but FairPlay I did get in my room a little after 9am.
Some of the hotel reviews I read were a bit harsh , so here's mine and with photos a true honest account of my stay.......here we go
Yes location wise it's perfect ,close to the airport and there is a free shuttle to take you to and from the airport and there is also a free shuttle to take you into Darwin.
My room was clean and well looked after ,the bed was comfy and perfect for me to relax my long haul aching bones.
There is a pool and bar , there is limited free Internet but if you want 24 hour Internet it will cost you 18 AU.
So all in all I really enjoyed my stay at Rydges , it doesn't deserve the poor reviews I enjoyed it and I look forward to coming back.
Well done to all the management and staff ...... good luck and keep up the high standards.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
4  Thank cuddslfc

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on your recent stay at the Rydges Darwin Airport Hotel. Our guest feedback plays an important role in ensuring we provide friendly and consistent guest service.
I appreciate your honest appraisal of the hotel and your stay and I am glad you found our facilities adequate for your needs. Our location and the complimentary shuttle service are key selling points and for guests in transit are a must.
Our Wi Fi offering is free for the first 30 MB which is sufficient for most guests browsing and e-mail review. Streaming or large downloads will certainly exceed this usage.
Thanks again for the feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel when you are next in Darwin.

Reviewed March 28, 2014

Stayed one night on my journey south last week and was happy with accommodation so am using it again this week on my trip back. Room was clean and bed very comfortable. The overhead fan did make a bit of noise but I didn't need it on anyway. Paid for a cooked breakfast the next day but I won't bother this time. Didn't rate it really but the continental one looked ok. The free shuttle is perfect although you could walk it if wasn't for the heat. All in all for the minimal price I paid I was very happy so i hope its just as good this week although check in could be faster.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank Debra R
JustinBoydell, General Manager at Novotel Darwin Airport, responded to this reviewResponded March 30, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on your recent stay at the Rydges Darwin Airport hotel. I am glad you enjoyed your recent stay at the property and our location is very handy for the guest in transit.
The complimentary airport shuttle is very convenient and certainly assists those with lugguage. There is a convenient 200 metre walkway but as you noted in the humidity the shuttle service is appealing.
Just to note that whilst staying you can enjoy breakfast in both the Hotel and the resort. Both properties have the ability to charge back to your room. The Resort breakfast is available from 5.30am daily.
Thanks again for taking the time to post a review and foer choosing to stay at the hotel and we look forward to welcoming you back to Darwin.

Reviewed March 26, 2014

Sitting in Changi Airport waiting to fly to Darwin, I received an email advising me that my connecting flight in Darwin was "delayed" for 7 hours extending my Darwin transit beyond anything I could endure by sitting around, what is, a pretty spartan International hub. So I emailed this hotel and asked about a 5am check-in and 1pm check out for the following morning. A fellow named Brogan replied to my email enquiry quickly (as well as the two or three subsequent follow up emails). He also directed me to the most economical means of booking the room which saved me about a third of any rate he could offer, while he also generously offered a complimentary late check-out (10am is the usual check-out time).

I had read that the direct phone to arrange the complimentry shuttle to the hotel was in the luggage collection area, which it was (NOTE: that is the domestic luggage carrousel) and easily found. Even though it was before 5am the phone was answered instantly and shuttle driver arrived in under 5 minutes and whisked me away to the VERY nearby hotel - which is easily walkable if you're not overloaded with luggage.

When I arrived I was attended to by a friendly young lady (I didn't catch her name) who anticipated my extra requirements before I could engage my brain fast enough to ask. Realising that I was a smoker staying in an ENTIRELY non-smoking hotel, she suggested a balcony room where I could exercise my nasty habit without impinging on the hotel rules.

The room was clean and simple, nothing flash going on, but there were very few things missing that I wanted for... although the toiletries are rather limited, especially when you've been spolied by several similarily rated Asian hotels. A small exception with the otherwise sound cleanliness were the tea spoons on the coffee/tea thingy which were beyond grubby, and the balcony fly/bug screen which needs a good clean. The bed was soft-ish but very comfortable. Pillows and linen were "budget" but still perfectly acceptable and the sleep quality was better than average.

Check-out seemed slow-ish (as it does when time is against you) with the lone girl surrounded by guests all wanting "something", but she soon called for re-enforcement and in about 10 minutes I was on my way in the complimentary shuttle for the 90 second drive to the departure area.

Thanks to (as always seems to be the case) the staff , I've been left with a very positive impression of Rydges Hotel at the Darwin Airport.

Room Tip: If you're a smoker, request a balcony room, and aim for the top (6th) floor if you plan to sit o...
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank Fourb2

Thanks for taking the time to write a review in regard to your recent stay at the Rydges Darwin Airport hotel. Our guest feedback is important in reviewing our guest service and delivery.
I am glad that you enjoyed your stay at the hotel and I will certainly pass on your feedback to Brogan as especially when guests are in transit we need to be flexible and try to assist where possible. Being located need the airport we know how planes and timetables can change.
I will pass on your feedback to our housekeeping team in regard to the tea and coffee making facilities not presenting well during your stay.
Thanks again for the feedback and for choosing to stay at the property whilst in Darwin.

Reviewed February 22, 2014

We do not do overnight air travel unless we have a lay flat seat. So returning from Bali we fly the short distance to Darwin. Arriving at 3am it is a short walk to the hotel pushing trolleys. We stored our airport trolleys in their store room ( with folding bikes) and were quickly booked in and bedded down.

The rooms are pristine, basic and ideal for transit. Highly recommended.

We had a call at about 9.40 am to remind us that check out time is 10am. We recommend that the hotel review their check out time given the fact that that transit is a key function. Our next flight was 1245pm so a more leisurely exit would have been preferred.

Convenience is the name of the game

Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Hedonist_Australia
JustinBoydell, General Manager at Novotel Darwin Airport, responded to this reviewResponded February 24, 2014

Thanks for taking the time to write a review of your recent stay at the property. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay. The property as you mentioned is set up well for the transiting guest. I will pass on your feedback in relation to the checkout as I understand that time in the room between transiting is important and maybe we can be more flexible. Obviously we need access to turn rooms around for arriving guests.
As a handy tip we do provide a complimentary airport shuttle drop off and pick up service which is very easy and convenient. Alternatively as you have mentioned it is only a short walk down to the property from the airport. Thanks again for the feedback and choosing to stay at Rydges Darwin Airport. I trust we will have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed January 30, 2014

I have stayed here a several times with my family as well. Thetwo bedrooms are comfortable and give you some privacy from the kids.This last occasion I stayed in a queen romm which had a huge bathroom, as it was the end room on the floor. was clean and what I expected.Staff were friendly and helpful.Defnately a better place to stay than the resort.

1  Thank hrthb08
JustinBoydell, General Manager at Novotel Darwin Airport, responded to this reviewResponded February 2, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your recent stay at the hotel. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay and that the hotel met your recent travel needs.
As you mention the Two bedroom suites are great for family with separated bedrooms and a lounge area. I note that you stayed in a Queen room on your last visit and the last room at the end of the Corridor does have an larger bathroom than normal which allows for a bit more space.
Thank you for your recent patronage and I trust we will have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed January 4, 2014

We stayed in this hotel last January 3, 2014. Because we came from a long flight we checked in around 6am and requested for a late check out (1pm) which was approved by the night shift staff. At 9am housekeeping staff knocked on our door without saying anything and open the door and closed it back when she saw us still in bed. At 1130 am same thing happen, they knocked again until my husband told them we requested for late check out. Since we knew we can longer go back to sleep because of frequent annoying interruptions we decided to get ready and check out. I informed the Reception about it and of course all they have to do is apologized. They should train their housekeeping staff what to do, when to knock the room and what time. Were about to check out on that date and when they knock its not even check out time! also, management should train the Reception as well, if the night shift knocked off its her duty to inform the incoming shift about late check-outs etc. There should be a well organized turn over of everything.
yes true that the hotel is as old as elementary school building. I admit I admire the design of their lobby. But service is very poor.
And make sure you check the fridge when I opened it to get a glass of water it was dusty with a strand of hair.
Also you have to pay for internet connection. Too far from everything except airport.
Never had a good sleep will not ever go back after a bad experience.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank wanderingnoreen

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your recent stay at the Rydges Darwin Airport Hotel. I would like to apologise for the inconvenience you have encountered during your stay.
The Reception team should have communicated your early arrival and late check out to the Housekeeping team as there reports would have been printed before your arrival. They could have noted the details and then the disturbances could have been avoided.
Another good tip is to place a do not disturb on the door as this can ensure you are not disturbed and they check with the reception team after normal check out time as to the status of the room.
Obviously this has impacted on the enjoyment of your stay and if you are coming to Darwin again please don't hesitate to contact me as I would welcome the opportunity to make amends.
Thanks again for your patronage and I trust that you may give us the opportunity to make amends in the future.