“Loved it here”

Youth Shack Backpackers
Ranked #31 of 51 Specialty Lodging in Darwin
Reviewed November 17, 2013

While I only stayed in youth shack for 5 days, I must say it was a great experience. The beds were very comfortable, the rooms were cleaned daily and mopped and the wash rooms were always clean and tidy. I didn't use the kitchen facalities but from what I saw they were quite good.
Even though our room was above the bar, I didn't really have much complaints about the noise, as whereever you stay in Darwin you are bound to hear the night life of the strip.

Great place and would happily stay here again

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
Debbe T, Manager at Youth Shack Backpackers, responded to this reviewResponded November 18, 2013

Hi,

Thank you for your recent review. We welcome all feedback whether good or bad.

I am glad that you enjoyed your stay with us here at Youth Shack.

We do have a fantastic housekeeping team that maintain the cleanliness of the hostel at all times.

We hope that should you return to Darwin you will not hesitate in staying with us again.

Reviewed October 28, 2013

Hostel is really bad - as mentioned in other reviews it's very noisy, not clean and not in a ggod shape at all - a double is 75 A$ - that's to expensive for a night in a prison. please do not stay there...

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Kubaner23
Debbe T, Manager at Youth Shack Backpackers, responded to this reviewResponded November 13, 2013

Hi,

Thank you for your review. We do welcome all feedback whether good or bad as this helps us to improve our hostel.

Youth Shack has an onsite bar. This proves to be very popular with many of out guests staying here, long or short term, as it is a great place for them to meet other backpackers alike.
We are also situated in the heart of Mitchell St, amongst all the bars and restaurants and some guests do like to experience the nightlife of Darwin. We have a Night reception manager between the hours of 10pm - 6am to make sure that noise is kept to a minimum.

We have a fantastic housekeeping team here at Youth Shack who work from morning til late afternoon to make sure the cleanliness of the hostel is always at its best, there is also a cleaner during the hours of the night manager to maintain the upkeep of the hostel.

Reviewed October 18, 2013

After staying at youthshack for over 5 months and paying over $4500 I am bitterly disappointed that now due to bed bugs being brought into our room the staff moved us over to the filthier long term side of the hostel to a tiny room with no sink, dirty matress's and a broken window right above shenanigans which gets really loud. After staying at the hostel for a while I would have expected to be moved to a better room than the room we've been put into! Staff need to try and smile abit more and be more helpful especially the american night manager who needs firing because for someone who works at a hostel he is useless and miserable! Brett, dottie and zac are one of the few positives of this hostel!

• Stayed: October 2013
Debbe T, Manager at Youth Shack Backpackers, responded to this reviewResponded October 21, 2013

Hello,

Thank you for your recent review. We do welcome all feedback whether good or bad as it helps us to maintain the standards of our hostels.

I am sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your stay here with us at Youth Shack. Unfortunately we are still in the busy season and our hostel is pretty much full at the moment, so during the issue we had at the time of your stay, the room you were moved to would have been the only room we had available at the time. We have addressed the noise issue with Shenanigans but as we are situated right in the heart of Mitchell street, noise from the neighboring street is unfortunately out of our control.

Our staff are here to help make your stay more comfortable, and they are always more then happy to help in anyway possible. We do pride ourselves in providing outstanding customer service.

Thank you again for your review.

Reviewed October 18, 2013

I can honestly say i had the best time in darwin, especially in the youth shack. Stayed there for 3 months worked in the bar for 5!! Met the nicest people there. Friends and memories ill cherish forever. Main reason im writing this review is to state that Brett, the receptionist is one of the most kind hearted guys i have met during my time in australia and to the person who gave him a bad review, you should get to know people before you judge. He doesnt just work there and not care he actually enjoys his job and makes effort with all his guests, whether your a long term resident or just a short term holiday maker. Hes always there to lend a hand, if he cant help he will surely do a good job trying. An absolute pkeasure to work with, along with all the other staff at youth shack. Id go back tomorrow. I loved it there!!!

• Stayed: February 2013

Hi,

Thank you for your review, we do welcome all feedback whether good or bad.

I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your time here at Youth Shack. It really makes a difference when you have staff members who really care for our guests staying here.

I hope that should you return to Darwin you will not hesitate in staying with us again.

Thanks again for your review,

Reviewed October 18, 2013

I spent quite a long time in the youth shack on Mitchell street, Darwin. 2 separate occasions totaling close to 15 months. I was one of those on the working holiday visa.
I found the staff friendly, professional, courteous and helpful. The patients I have seen them demonstrate in regards to questionable behaviour from guests was, in my opinion, admirable.
When I was told the rooms were 4 bed dorms, I knew what to expect... No worries! And the girls who clean the rooms in the morning,.. Well if the rooms are at least neat, these girls can do their jobs,.. and there wouldn't be a pest problem.
The kitchen facilities (the gas stoves), well if someone has any culinary skills whatsoever, they could do some great meals! I bought a sandwich maker because back packers don't seem capable of cleaning up behind themselves.
Anyone who has complaints about the prices,.. Remember, Darwin gets massively LESS busy between mid October and mid march. The businesses still have rates bills, staff wages power bills, etc to pay. Quit whining!
I never had to approach the "Job shack" side of the business. But I have had a number of friends who went through them and successfully found employment. And yes, I would reccomend them to friends I am still in contact with, and are FROM Darwin.
The youth shack isn't a 5 star hotel. But the atmosphere and the town more than make up for that. It's location is superb! And the people I've had the pleasure of meeting during my time there (be that staff, guests, work mates and Darwin born locals) means, like I say, id be back there tomorrow!!!
Good times!!!

• Stayed: March 2013
Debbe T, Manager at Youth Shack Backpackers, responded to this reviewResponded October 19, 2013

Hi,

Thank you for your review, we welcome all feedback whether good or bad.

I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay here with us at Youth Shack, on both occasions.It is always nice to hear that we have returning guests.

Our nightly events at our on site bar, Batji Bar, do give the hostel the fun atmosphere for all people to enjoy, plus it is an added bonus that we are located right in the heart of Mitchell street for you to enjoy the busy night life of Darwin.

We are very pleased to hear that you would recommend the hostel to other travellers.

We hope that should you return to Darwin, you will come and stay for a third time here at Youth Shack.

Reviewed October 18, 2013

Travelled here with friends in 2012. Ended up staying 4months in this hostel. Great place to make friends and have fun while travelling and/or working. Staff are good too especially Brett! Great guy who was really good to me and my mates while we stayed there. Top marks Brett!! :) Still miss Youth Shack and Darwin life... :) x

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends

Hi,

Thank you for your review.

I am very happy that you enjoyed your stay with us here at Youth Shack.

We are very lucky to be located right in the hear of Mitchell street, making us only minutes away from the restaurants, bars and clubs.

I am glad that staff played a big part in making your stay so comfortable as we do pride ourselves in exceptional customer service.

We hope that if you ever come to Darwin again you will not hesitate to stay here at the Youth Shack again.

Thanks for your review once again.

Reviewed October 16, 2013

This is truly the worst hostel I have ever come across in my years of traveling - This is my short but very vivid experience;

Me and my friends arrived just before 10 PM, just as the staff is changing from evening to night-shift and I do understand that there are routines to follow when you hand over information between colleagues (Working in the hotel-business for several years myself) so we sat down and relaxed in the lounge-area while waiting for them to have time to attend to our check-in.

Before we sat down we were told that we did not have a booking in their system and from the start they questioned if we actually had made a booking, if we had canceled or just failed.. In a rather unfriendly way. As we made the booking the day before we were able to forward the e-mail with our confirmation from hostelbookers.

Given the fact that I work in this field of work I know that it goes really quick and easy to log on to hostelbookers and check this site if we have a booking and if there was some kind of misscommunications between Youth Shack and the site. This is something the receptionist Brad refuse to do, as he is working overtime and should be gratefull for even checking us in)

After atleast 30 minutes of waiting the receptionist Brad called us to get to the reception and started to check in the girls in our gang.. Ellen asked if they were staying in the same dorm and from here it truly went down hill as Brad replied in a harsh and unfriendly voice that they NEVER promise guests that they can stay in the same room, but this time they were allowed too!

As us three boys started to sign the papers to check in he continued to tell us in a even more unfriendly way that we have to check out at 10 in the morning as they dont have any rooms tomorrow but we can, if we wanted too, make an enquire the next morning but by the sound of him this was most likley impossible.
By this time I started to get really agitated as Brad in his very rude manor is not making us feel welcome to stay at Youth Shack. I mumble to my friends in a sarcastic way that the service here is really top notch.
Brad hears this and starts to question me if I am being sarcastic, and I tell him yes as I never have been greeted like this when coming to a hostel anywere in the world.
By now he starts to question what kind of service I can expect when I pay 28 dollars per night "If you want someone to bend over and kiss your as, the Hilton Hotel is just around the corner).
My friends and I decide to cancel our stay here and rather sleep on the street than support a hostel with this kind of staff - By now Brad is telling us that we are not welcome to stay here ever again, especially not( and I quote) you dikheed! We turn around and start to exit the place and Brad is shouting after us that we should return to the lativan countries we come from (The fact that I am from Sweden makes this kind of funny..)

We end up walking the streets of darwin for one hour trying to find other accomodation but by now the clock is around midnight and everything is fully booked or the reception is closed for the evening.
Thanks to Brad me and my friends have to take the car and leave Darwin in the middle of the night and drive to the outback and sleep by the side of the road and thus leaving the city of Darwin with nothing but a bad experience and not the feeling that I ever want to return to this place in the otherwise lovley Australia.

Thank you Brad - You have made excellent face of what really bad costumer relations and service is.
I am truly sorry for his colleagues as the young guy that greeted us from the start made a good first impression of Youth shack, that quickly went down the drain.

Johan, Patryk, Ellen & Malin.

PS: Speaking to other people about this experience, we have been told that this is not the first time Brad has freaked out in a similar way - Fellow travelers beware!)

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Skymning

Hi,

Thank you for your review, we welcome all reviews good or bad.

I apologise for the miscommunication regarding your booking through Hostel bookers. We looked into this further and found that there were a few bookings like your own, that we had not received from Hostel bookers themselves.
With all bookings, whether direct or through an on line agency we are never able to guarantee that you will be in the same room. This is a request only and we try our hardest to make sure that you and the other people in your group are in the same room.
We are at our peak season at the moment which makes it hard for us to guarantee a request like this, unless the reservation is made in advance, and I can see from your booking that it was only made the day before you were due to arrive.
On this occasion we were able to book the two females in your group into the same room, due to us having “female” dorms available.

This description of the staff member seems quite out of character; however we will be speaking with him regarding this matter.

We pride ourselves in outstanding customer service, a clean and friendly environment for travellers from all over the world, and we take great pride in making sure our hostel has the “home away from home” vibe to it. We are sorry to hear of your experience.