“Worst hostel experience in 7 months of traveling in Australia.”

Youth Shack Backpackers
Ranked #31 of 51 Specialty Lodging in Darwin
Reviewed October 16, 2013

This is truly the worst hostel I have ever come across in my years of traveling - This is my short but very vivid experience;

Me and my friends arrived just before 10 PM, just as the staff is changing from evening to night-shift and I do understand that there are routines to follow when you hand over information between colleagues (Working in the hotel-business for several years myself) so we sat down and relaxed in the lounge-area while waiting for them to have time to attend to our check-in.

Before we sat down we were told that we did not have a booking in their system and from the start they questioned if we actually had made a booking, if we had canceled or just failed.. In a rather unfriendly way. As we made the booking the day before we were able to forward the e-mail with our confirmation from hostelbookers.

Given the fact that I work in this field of work I know that it goes really quick and easy to log on to hostelbookers and check this site if we have a booking and if there was some kind of misscommunications between Youth Shack and the site. This is something the receptionist Brad refuse to do, as he is working overtime and should be gratefull for even checking us in)

After atleast 30 minutes of waiting the receptionist Brad called us to get to the reception and started to check in the girls in our gang.. Ellen asked if they were staying in the same dorm and from here it truly went down hill as Brad replied in a harsh and unfriendly voice that they NEVER promise guests that they can stay in the same room, but this time they were allowed too!

As us three boys started to sign the papers to check in he continued to tell us in a even more unfriendly way that we have to check out at 10 in the morning as they dont have any rooms tomorrow but we can, if we wanted too, make an enquire the next morning but by the sound of him this was most likley impossible.
By this time I started to get really agitated as Brad in his very rude manor is not making us feel welcome to stay at Youth Shack. I mumble to my friends in a sarcastic way that the service here is really top notch.
Brad hears this and starts to question me if I am being sarcastic, and I tell him yes as I never have been greeted like this when coming to a hostel anywere in the world.
By now he starts to question what kind of service I can expect when I pay 28 dollars per night "If you want someone to bend over and kiss your as, the Hilton Hotel is just around the corner).
My friends and I decide to cancel our stay here and rather sleep on the street than support a hostel with this kind of staff - By now Brad is telling us that we are not welcome to stay here ever again, especially not( and I quote) you dikheed! We turn around and start to exit the place and Brad is shouting after us that we should return to the lativan countries we come from (The fact that I am from Sweden makes this kind of funny..)

We end up walking the streets of darwin for one hour trying to find other accomodation but by now the clock is around midnight and everything is fully booked or the reception is closed for the evening.
Thanks to Brad me and my friends have to take the car and leave Darwin in the middle of the night and drive to the outback and sleep by the side of the road and thus leaving the city of Darwin with nothing but a bad experience and not the feeling that I ever want to return to this place in the otherwise lovley Australia.

Thank you Brad - You have made excellent face of what really bad costumer relations and service is.
I am truly sorry for his colleagues as the young guy that greeted us from the start made a good first impression of Youth shack, that quickly went down the drain.

Johan, Patryk, Ellen & Malin.

PS: Speaking to other people about this experience, we have been told that this is not the first time Brad has freaked out in a similar way - Fellow travelers beware!)

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Skymning
Debbe T, Manager at Youth Shack Backpackers, responded to this reviewResponded October 19, 2013

Hi,

Thank you for your review, we welcome all reviews good or bad.

I apologise for the miscommunication regarding your booking through Hostel bookers. We looked into this further and found that there were a few bookings like your own, that we had not received from Hostel bookers themselves.
With all bookings, whether direct or through an on line agency we are never able to guarantee that you will be in the same room. This is a request only and we try our hardest to make sure that you and the other people in your group are in the same room.
We are at our peak season at the moment which makes it hard for us to guarantee a request like this, unless the reservation is made in advance, and I can see from your booking that it was only made the day before you were due to arrive.
On this occasion we were able to book the two females in your group into the same room, due to us having “female” dorms available.

This description of the staff member seems quite out of character; however we will be speaking with him regarding this matter.

We pride ourselves in outstanding customer service, a clean and friendly environment for travellers from all over the world, and we take great pride in making sure our hostel has the “home away from home” vibe to it. We are sorry to hear of your experience.

Thanks again for your review.

Youth Shack

There are newer reviews for Youth Shack Backpackers

Reviewed October 11, 2013

This hostel has a lot of travellers on Working Holiday Visas living here, especially from the UK. There is a bar onsite and it gets really busy.
For me, this place was a nightmare - we were in Darwin in transit and did a day trip to Kakadu and really what we were looking for was somewhere we could rest our weary heads and sleep at any hour of the day. Unfortunately I wasn't thinking about what I wanted when I booked this - perhaps I was blinded by the price as hotels in Darwin are so ridiculously expensive. Definitely not the right choice!
This place is super loud with a 24/7 party vibe. If that IS what you are looking for, then this place is perfect! You'll meet heaps of other travellers, be able to buy your drinks onsite and stumble off to either the nearby clubs or your room with no hassles. The facilities also include a swimming pool, "Job Shack" to assist with finding jobs for travellers, internet access, shared bathrooms and security features.
Note that the hostel requests deposits for virtually everything - room keys, cutlery, towels - and they shortchanged us when returning the deposits (or the staff member at the start overcharged us to begin with). This makes the check in and check out process stupidly long and with only two people working and about 10 people trying to check in, it was an ordeal. Then again, I'm sure if people stopped stealing things from them they could afford not to charge you for things as well as have more staff!

Room Tip: Try to get a room as far awar from the pool/bar area as possible if you want a good nights sleep.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Debbe T, Manager at Youth Shack Backpackers, responded to this reviewResponded October 13, 2013

Thanks for your review,

We are an International backpackers and we welcome people from all over the world. Many of our guests come to Darwin just to work, we do however also get people like yourself who come just for a few nights and stop in Darwin to see the tourist attractions and then move on. We have a very mixed clientel throughout the whole year.

Our hostel bar is open 7 days a week, but any music or entertainment is cut off by 10pm. This is to ensure that any guests who may have to be early for work or for tours etc, get a quiet nights sleeps. With our hostel being situated right in the heart of Mitchell street means some of our guests like to spend their nights in the local bars and clubs and will come back at all hours of the night, this is the reason we do have a Night Manager during the hours of 10pm - 6am to make sure that noise is always kept to a minimum and guests are not loitering around the common areas after hours.

Our kitchen procedures are in place to make sure this is done, by doing so this keeps the kitchen clean and utensils are always available for guests when needed.

Thanks again for your review.

Reviewed September 29, 2013

Hated every minute of my time at the Youth Shack. Over-priced for what you get. Through my travels this is def the worse place I've ever stayed. The kitchen is ant and cockroach infested. The Job Shack part is a joke, don't even bother wasting your money signing up! Cleaners burst into your room at any given opportunity and are rude and accusing. Over all a very poor hostel. Any reviews on here that are positive are probably part of the "give a good review on trip advisor and get 30 mins free wifi deal"

Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank HereandThere1989
Debbe T, Manager at Youth Shack Backpackers, responded to this reviewResponded October 7, 2013

Hello Sinead,

Thank you for your recent review.

In regards to your statement of the "give a good review on trip advisor and get 30 mins free wifi deal" this is not the case. We actually offer 30 minutes to anyone who likes or comments on our Facebook page.

The Job Shack has become very popular, for not only backpackers but also local residents, in finding and placing people in suitable jobs. The Job Shack has just been nominated for an award for best small recruitment business.

Our kitchen area, as well as the rest of the hostel, is cleaned throughout the whole day by our housekeeping team. We also have a night cleaner between the hours of 10pm - 6am to ensure the upkeep of the hostel.

Reviewed September 19, 2013

Ok property. Very good location in the main street and opposite crocosaurus cove, which was the main reason for our visit (!). We had a cockroach in our room first night, and the cleanliness was not great. Decent pool, bar and darts board. Beds are OK though not the biggest.

Bottom line - I've stayed in better hostels for this price.

Room Tip: Rooms next to the pool are noisy due to the bar (though the noise stops at c.[11]pm).
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple

Hi,

Thank you for your recent review as all feedback, good or bad, is welcome.

Our hostel is luckily located in the heart of Mitchell street, so close to all restaurants, pubs and clubs. We are also located within walking distance to a lot of tourist attractions.

With regards to the cockroach in your room, a lot of the time when food is left in the room it will attract insects. This is why we have storage areas in the kitchen for your food to be kept.

We have cleaners throughout the day and we also now have a night cleaner between the hours of 10pm - 6am to ensure the upkeep and cleanliness of the hostel.

The music and any entertainment within the bar is cut off at 10pm, this is to ensure any guests who are up early for tours etc are not kept awake until late.

Thanks again for your review

Reviewed September 12, 2013

We have never stayed in such a noisy place! Drunken and crying boys and girls at every night in the pool-area and in the floors! Nobody stopped them! We felt very unsafe at night. There are no rules, nobody of the management was looking for anything, what was disturbing many guests.
The cleaning staff was busy, but after some hours it was dirty
again.
The room was overpriced.
We will never go there, it is better to spend more money to have the chance for sleeping at night.

• Stayed: September 2013

Hi,

Thank you for your review.

Our hostel is located in the heart of Darwin City, on Mitchell Street surrounded by pubs, clubs and restaurants. As we are an international backpackers we have guests staying from all over the world who come to Darwin to enjoy the nightlife.

We have a Night Reception Manager, who patrols the area between 10pm - 6am to ensure rules are being followed and ensure a safe environment for other guests. We also have a night cleaner between these hours to ensure the cleanliness of the hostel.

Reviewed September 2, 2013

I rented a double room for three days at Chillies, the sister place linked to Youthshack.
Every experience can be different so it can be a mixed bag, However, the bed was comfortable and the TV and AC in the room worked. Seriously though, way too expensive for the quality of the room. The shared showers and toilets are not a nice experience and the cleaners shut it off around 8am - 9:30am, which is a slap in the face to tourists. The noise outside is terrible. Basically, this is a worker's hostel and they bring with them a culture that conflicts with genuine travelers. The staff were okay, but a Tongan receptionist was lacking a pleasant service manner. I guess some people would be happy, others not so happy. Why pay $10 (refundable but what a hassle) for use of utensils when the supermarket sells plastic ones for $5 and is 2 minutes from the Hostel.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
Debbe T, Manager at Youth Shack Backpackers, responded to this reviewResponded September 5, 2013

Hi Dionmik,

Thank you for your review.

We have many guests staying with us in search for jobs and to make Darwin their home which we welcome.

In regards to our deposit system this is to ensure our facilities are keep clean and all utensils are available to guests when needed, we have found this to be the most effective way to ensure this.

Thank you for your review on our hostel.

Reviewed August 14, 2013

For people wanting to party only. No hot water at any time. Not the best place to meet people. The focus is on drinking and bar culture and loud dubstep starts from early in the day. Though there is a pool you would not want to swim in there, as it is like a fishbowl in the middle of the bar for all those to oogle you. As an illustration to the poor accommodation available in Darwin, the hostel is full of male construction workers, who had no problem telling me that a womens place was in the kitchen. The staff were helpful but grudgingly so. The only info provided for what to do in Darwin involved the on site bar, or tours that the hostel could make money from. Internet $1 for 15 mins or $4 per day for WIFI. In most hostels you would expect internet to be free. As a discouragement for using the kitchen, to get pots and pans you had to line up for 10mins and exchange your key for the items. To even get a mug to make a cup of (BYO) tea you had to again line up and pay a $10 deposit for any items of cutlery or crockery. Again I was encouraged to use the bar instead. My room was actually clean and did not smell like vomit like the halls, but was very noisy from the bar and 3am swims. It had a window and a fan and a fridge, which was a nice surprise, but I am not sure what I was to put in there, since I was discouraged from cooking and there was no BYO alcohol. Also in most hostels the cleaning of the bathrooms happens just after check out. At youth shack the bathrooms are cleaned at 8am, so I had to forgo my cold shower this morning.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank popcorn_cotton

Hi,

Our backpackers is a very social place to meet people from all over the world who come to Darwin to enjoy our beautiful wildlife and tropical wetlands, nightlife and job opportunity.

Our facilities are keep to a high standard and are cleaned meticulously throughout the day and night to ensure it is keep clean for our guests to enjoy, our kitchen procedures are in place to make sure this is done, by doing so this keeps the kitchen clean and utensils are available for guests when needed.

Thank you for your feedback on out hostel.