I am not particularly writing a detailed review of the hotel because I didn't feel it's anything to write about. I went here for Ululu (Ayers rock), not for Voyages hotel. Anyways, let me begin
The published price for normal room is AUD$440/night. I booked it through wotif.com and paid $380. I tell you, this is the WORST cost-performance hotel you will EVER stay in the entire life. The prices they charge are outrageous, because it's in middle of nowhere and Voyages owns the whole resort. If you want to go see Ayers rock, you need to stay here. Hence the monopoly in play.
Good news first. It's not dirty nor infested with insects as some others have mentioned. It's hygine, that's for sure. But don't expect even a Holiday-Inn-Express type of room. Desert Gardens is 1 of the 3 hoels in Voyage resort, compromising of Cheaper Lost Camel (newer), and more expensive Sails in the Dessert (newer). This hotel, is simply too AGED. You can see this in blanket they use, the wall paper, and just the complex rooms are housed it. I say it's "glorified motel" because it reminds you nothing but a country-motor-inn where you drive in, walk to the little shed next to the garden.
The room isn't bit or small. It's just average. Comes with 2 double bed unless you choose delux room which has a King bed. But either way, do yourself a favor, and do either
- if you want to save, go to Lost Camel
- if you want to spend extra AUD$50, go to Sails in the Dessert
Desert garden is like... just below par.
Oh and it doesn't have a bathtub.
3) Amenity and Ambience
You don't go to Ululu for hotel, you go for Ayer's rock. So don't expect a comfortable pampering spa here. In fact, it's very very touristy and nothing to write home about. The Swimming pool is outrageously small.
You can eat anywhere in Voyages, but avoid the restaurant within Desert Garden. They are just too 'cheap' atmosphere, except the price tag. You get yourself a much better meal at Winkiku which is the main dining for Sails in the Desert
I'm sure you've got your plan. But let me suggest one in particular. Join AAT King's Valley of the Wind tour with BBQ dinner in the dessert. This is a AUD$149 tour, but it's the best value for money in Ayer's rock. You get yourself BBQ dinner in the dessert under the sky, which is the same as Silence of the Night dinner. It's value for money.
Terrible. Even the motels can do better. They didn't come to service my room until 4pm. Of course, at that time, I was sleeping in the room with "Do not disturb", so they left me a note on the door asking to contact the reception by 4:30pm if I wanted a room serviced. HELLO??? Of course, the room was never servied. Apparently, this is recurring issue. Upon check-out, the couple in front of us also complained that their room was not serviced. So just be ware....
I know you would be tempted to go for "middle-ranking" hotel so you are thinking of Desert Gardens. But really, do yourself a favor and stick to either the best, or cheap (lost Camel). Either ones offer better value for money.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Voyages Desert Gardens Hotel is a superior hotel at Voyages Ayers Rock Resort. Magnificent ghost gums and flowering native shrubs are the setting for this hotel. Voyages Desert Gardens Hotel is centrally located to all resort and touring facilities and offers a range of accommodation, from shaded poolside rooms to deluxe rooms overlooking the desert.You can relax in the comfort of your own private balcony or courtyard, or unwind in the hotel's pool, sipping cocktails from the Bunya bar. It's only a short stroll to the Resort's numerous lookouts, where you can view what is arguably Australia's best sunset, with the spectacular play of colours across the face of Uluru and the surrounding desert. Once the sun has set, dine at Arnguli Grill and savour an a la carte flame grilled menu. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Ctrip TA, Agoda and Jetsetter so you can book your Desert Gardens Hotel, Ayers Rock Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Desert Gardens Hotel, Ayers Rock Hotel Yulara
- Hotel Desert Gardens
- Desert Gardens Hotel, Ayers Rock Resort Australia/Yulara