“Great place, pity about the reception service”

Desert Gardens Hotel, Ayers Rock Resort
Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Yulara
“Great place, pity about the reception service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 4, 2012

We stayed 4 nights in a ground floor access unit. Good size room and bathroom with distant views of the Rock. Fridge needed cleaning before we could put any food in it but room was otherwise very clean. The surrounding grounds and gardens are great to explore. Restaurant was good. A great stay until we got to check out - it all went downhill from there: we had pre purchased our 4 night stay on the Accor website and had the printed prepaid paperwork from the website. The guy at reception insisted that pre-paid did not mean prepaid and insisted on seeing the credit card statement to confirm payment. Now who takes credit card statements on a 4WD trip to Central Australia!! The reception guy was very rude and implied I was trying to rip them off and not wanting to pay. As it turned out when I got back to Melbourne and checked my credit card, there had been an error with the website and my credit card had not been charged, but the way it was dealt with at reception was very distressing. To add insult to injury, I paid some of the bill with Accor Reward Dollars and was ripped off $60 from the agreed exchange rate. Unfortunately the distressing experience at checkout detracted from what would have been a great stay

• Stayed June 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (558)
Sydney
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 4, 2012

First of all I think it is important to recognise that this review is about the hotel only, not the rock and surroundsing area itself, i am not reviewing the tourism facility, simply the hotel! Given the location of the hotel, (middle of Australia and miles from anywhere!) the hotel is pretty good. Yes, it is expensive and yes the food and drinks are expensive, but of course they will be due to location! The rooms were fairly standard motel type and the pool is again motel type, the reception and dining acilities are more fitting of the 4 star rating, i owuld say the rooms and other facilities are only 3 star quality. The neoghbouring Salils in the Desert hotel is of a higher standard and we used the pool there which didnt seem to be discouraged! Ultimately the lower quality of rooms did not bother my wife and I at all, we spend such litle time in them, we were there after all for the tourism, which I found to be awesome! I would have liked gym facilities, but I dont hink any of the hotels had them. The town centre area had some good dining options that covered all budgets, although i have to say the service was fairly ordinary at a few of the places we dined at. -Overall, we had a great trip and would stay here again should we ever return to Ayers Rock.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Kilkenny
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 2, 2012

I loved Ayers Rock ,This hotel is a really nice hotel I was pleasantly surprised considering some of the previous reviews I had read,very friendly and helpful staff .They were constantly cleaning the reception area while we were there as the breeze was constantly blowing leaves and dust in every time the doors opened .The room was perfect apart from being a bit tired looking was spotless and a fine big bathroom and shower .I would return I could not finf fault with it

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2012

There's not much choice when you're at Uluru...the hotels in the area do all belong to one constorium. We stopped there for a couple of nights on a bus trip going up the centre of Australia. It was heaven compared to some of the places we had been in. Large, comfortable room with two double beds. Gigantic, clean bathroom. Television with more than one channel. The restaurants in the complex were expensive but that has to be expected when everything has to be trucked in. There could have been more entertainment. Actually, we didn't find any. Included breakfast was good. Shops in the complex were too expensive for the average traveller (i.e. a visor for A$135) and had very limited hours.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Glenbeulah, Wisconsin, United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 30, 2012

I wasn't very impressed with this hotel. I'm not sure how they received a 4 1/2 star rating. The rooms and public bathrooms are in need of an upgrade and the light shades in the Bunyan Bar were in desperate need of cleaning. Overall the hotel was fine for a one night stay, but I wouldn't stay here for longer than that.

Room Tip: Our room was fine, just off the pool area
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Atlanta, Georgia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 30, 2012

So I understand that when you're this remote you pay what I call desert or island prices but even given that, I thought this place was over-priced for what it offered. My issues are one with the room itself and two with the resort. The rooms was not great, there were bugs in our room all of them which I encountered upon initial inspection of the room, 2 alive 2 dead. Not a huge deal breaker I understand we are in nature here but I would think they would have cleaned up the dead ones just behind the curtains when they did ‘room service’. We were in a downstairs room and could hear all of the movement noise from above. We could also hear the interesting conversations our neighbors were having through the not so well soundproofed room sharing door that was closed. So my advice stay upstairs and keep your conversations clean. :) TV worked well, bathroom was fine. Everything was just fine, given the price...not so fine. I would choose one of the other hotels before staying here or recommending it to anyone.

Now the resort itself....
My biggest complaint is that if you arrive, from your 30 plus hour journey here, as we did and your arrival does not fall within the hours of lunch until 2 or dinner start around 5:30 you can either go get something small to nibble at the "grocery store" or try the "cafe" which each time we tried it was out of everything except a few muffins. I don't understand how the resort which is obviously the only place to get food in the desert does not have one decent dining option available for their many tourists that are arriving internationally at any and every given hour of the day?

Also while we are on food, I was told when making the reservations that I did not need to book ahead for dinners well if you want to eat at the nice restaurants you should book ahead because everything was booked up, and this wasn't even the busy season! So we ate at the Gecko café every-night and for lunch every day! Which was nice and the food good but we were craving a change at least for one night.

Also, it took us 45 minutes plus to get our rental car from Hertz, that was partly due to the fact that we had to wait forever to be helped and then were told that our car was given away since we were 1 hour behind our chosen pick up time and this even thought our car was confirmed and paid for!! So it took maneuvering around just to get a car, which out there in the desert....no car....no activities. Not like you can just grab a bus or tram anywhere.

THE BIG PLUS…I have to give a huge shout out to the doctors facility at the resort. I had some health issues our second day there and I got an appointment within 4 hours and the staff there were excellent, extremely kind, and helpful.

Room Tip: get an upstairs room!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Graz, Austria
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 30, 2012

The Desert Garden is one of the hotels in Ayers Rock Village. As there is not much competition around (all hotels belong to the same owners), do not expect too much. We were lucky and checkin was immediately possible. The rooms are large, and relatively clean. The air condition was loud.

Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Yulara
Sails in the Desert Hotel, Ayers Rock Resort
#2 of 2 in Timber Creek
Longitude 131
Longitude 131
#1 of 5 in Yulara

Been to Desert Gardens Hotel, Ayers Rock Resort? Share your experiences!