“Only good value because hotels are so expensive”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Yulara
Ayers Rock Campground
Melton Mowbray, United Kingdom
“Only good value because hotels are so expensive”
Reviewed December 20, 2011

Ummm... what can I say, we decided to stay at the campground as we were trying to keep costs down and the hotels all seemed over-priced.

Having stayed in all types of accomodation in my lifetime, I thought that the cabins were ok but have some issues:-

Noise - we were kept awake by the neighbours who were in full party mode as the walls are paper thin. I like a drink myself but in a campground you have to think about other residents!

Smell - the cabin we had smelt of old food / cooking smells which was a bit unpleasant.

The insects are a bit of a challenge now and again...take some Raid for your cabin

On the positive side, they have air-con fitted which is a blessing in the midday heat, its not fierce but its adequate and means the bed room isn't too hot at night. The pool area was fine, with spaces even though it was busy and we could also use the Outback Pioneer pool if we wanted.

Bathroom facilities were clean if a bit basic but you are camping at the end of the day.

We ate at the Outback Pioneer both nights, the atmosphere was good and the food seemed to be priced fairly compared to other resort restaurants. We had a lunch in the Gecko Cafe, having started off outside the flies proved too much so we had to go inside.

There is a bit of a standing joke about the flies in the outback....you just have to grit your teeth and get on with it!

Of course the whole point of this is to see Uluru which was majestic and that is what I shall remember from this portion of my trip

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank PorkpieUk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed November 23, 2011

I could tell you not to stay here, but they have a monopoly, so you have no choice. And that is exactly why the place is so bad. We have our own caravan and stayed in teh campground. I don't think they have done one bit of maintenance on the place since it opened. I left a note for the cleaners because there was a broken shower in the disabled shower room in the amenities block that was constantly running. It was not just dripping - it was running full on. I thought that obviously they had not noticed it since it had been running the whole time we had been there - ie at least 4 days! But when we got back that afternoon they had just removed my note and locked the door. The shower was still running! It was still running when we left 2 days later.

Also there are birds nest above two of the shower cubicles and so there is always bird poop on the floor of those showers. I walked into the toilets 5 mins after they had "cleaned" them one morning. They had not scrubbed the toilets at all - they had just poured some chemical into them. And the laundry tub was full of sand and dirt - they had not cleaned it at all. The whole place looks run down and grungy, even the other "resort" areas - ie the more expensive motels and apartments. It seems the owners just want to take your money and do absolutely nothing for it. And they know that you have no choice - this is the only place you can stay near the Rock so they have a monopoly.

Read more: http://blog.travelpod.com/travel-blog-entries/travln/1/1320330273/tpod.html#ixzz1eWhFEKWd

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank TRAVLN-KAZ

Travelers are raving about these Yulara hotels

UK
Reviewed November 16, 2011

We stayed in a 2 bedroom cabin which did the job just about but was pretty tatty and tired. No toilet meant a long walk in the night to the communal block with the children which was a bit of a pain - so much like camping really, and given the price, a loo would have been nice.
Staff were friendly though and the stunning place that is Uluru and the outback/desert meant that it really didn't matter about where we slept, it was certainly preferable to the eye watering prices elsewhere in the resort area.
The kids did appreciate the pool , we used this every day. Watch out for Ayres Rock area in general, everywhere pulls the little "we charge 1% for using credit cards - or if you are English debit cards too" - which is annoying.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Changes Daily
Reviewed November 15, 2011

Recent price increases (April 2011) at the campground now make it an unattractive location for single travelers. You can spend $41 a night for a powered site, or $38 at the back packers and get power with lights, and a bed. If you want to camp, head out of town into the dunes. Its just not affordable to camp here any more.

Room Tip: If you want to camp... Free camp somewhere out of the way. Dont bother with the camp ground anymore.
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled solo
4 Thank Homer H
London
Reviewed November 8, 2011

I visited Uluru recently and after checking all the accommodation options I decided to go for a cabin in the campground as I was not prepared to pay the rip off prices for the hotels on offer. To my surprise the cabin was not bad at all, quite clean and comfortable. The shower facilities and toilets were in a separate block and were also quite clean, considering how many people use it. Still, the price the resort charges for the cabins is the same I paid for a nice hotel in central Sydney.
Unlike previous reviewers, I did not have any problems with spiders, flies, etc.
I did not expect a 5-star accommodation and was actually quite pleasantly surprised. I do not plan to visit Uluru again but if I was I would stay here again.
Overpriced? Yes. But considering the choice, this is not a bad option.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank nomad2212
Hamilton, Canada
Reviewed October 31, 2011

The campground is not cheap, but it has excellent facilities including a pool.
Get in early to get a nice spot away from crowds and families.
Check the website for pricing as prices often change.

This is the closest place to camp to Uluru.

Camp kitchen is excellent. No camp fires are allowed. Lots of great facilities.

Sites are on hard ground, some grass around. Very open areas.

Room Tip: Get in early to pick your site, or around 10am.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed October 8, 2011

I would not recommend this camp ground or the people who run it as they cancelled our booking.The issue arose due to the requirement to provide credit card details via email ( unsecured ) are you kiiding me !!!.they did confirm that we had a booking via mail and would hld the booking.so when we had flow 3 hrs to find out our accomodation had been cancelled.not impressed.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family