“Good Service No Privacy” 3 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Sails in the Desert Hotel, Ayers Rock Resort
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Yulara
Georgia
“Good Service No Privacy”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2013

The shuttle service picked us up at the airport on time and our return to the airport went smoothly. The staff at the hotel is friendly and accommodating and check in was smooth and efficient. We chose the Terrace Room which was just as the pictures portray but the terrace itself has no privacy; it is like sharing one big terrace with all of your neighbors. We also did the Tali Wiru dinner which is VERY expensive and the food and wine was delicious however the massive amount of flies that are everywhere until the sun goes down make it very difficult to enjoy a $600.00 dinner. We would not do it again.

Room Tip: I didn't see the deluxe suites but I would inquire about their privacy and maybe book that room...
2 Thank Tamigaga

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (549)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Devonport
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2013

We stayed at Sails in the Desert for two nights as part of an AATKings tour of the Centre, and I have nothing but high praise for the hotel, and particularly the staff. The itinerary for our tour supplied by our travel agent specified Sails in the Desert as our accommodation at Yulara, and I was surprised to find that AATKings had scheduled us to stay at the three star Outback Hotel (not the last time they downgraded the accommodation we had paid for, I was to find later). When I approached the tour driver/guide I was told that it was my problem and I would have to work it out with the hotels myself, and our bags were deposited at the front door.
Inside the foyer I approached Andrew, who I think was the duty manager, and explained my problem. I was very fortunate. Andrew could not have been more helpful. He had our luggage stored, provided us with free drinks, and spent the next two hours being fobbed off by the companies involved in our four week tour bookings. Eventually it was sorted out by Andrew and our own travel agent. During the process I mentioned my wife's lack of mobility to him and he promptly switched us to a ground floor room close to reception.
Andrew's attention to our problem set the scene for our whole stay. The layout of the hotel, the central park-like area with its lawns, pools and wonderul ghost gums, the proximity of the "town square", the cheerful friendly staff, the wonderful breakfast buffet, and the variety and quality of the meals all combined to make this a most memorable stay. Expensive perhaps, but with such a high standard in such a remote location that is quite understandable.
Well done, Sails in the Desert, and grateful thanks to Andrew.

4 Thank Richard Q
Bendigo
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2013

Sails in the Desert is a comfortable hotel and very clean. The rooms are reasonable large but each room has two double beds even if there is only the two of you.
The amenities like tooth brushes cotton buds extra is limited for a four star hotel.
The staff at the front desk were very helpful.
The food was good but the beer and spirits rather expensive.
You have to pay seven dollars for the internet in your room which is a bit steep. You have free internet in the foyer but it is very slow.
Also you have to remember that this hotel is in a remote area.

2 Thank Inverugie
CONCORD
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2013

The hotel was very nice and the room that we stayed in was perfectly fine (2 queen beds plus a roll away bed). But for the $600/night, it was the most expensive hotel room that I ever stayed in and I've definitely stayed in nicer hotels for less money. There are about half a dozen choices in the area and I chose this hotel as a result of the reviews on TA so I knew what to expect. The $30 fee for wifi for three days was a good deal. It would have been nice to have at least received breakfast included in the rate but the buffet breakfast at the restaurant was $39 per person, which I find to be way over the top in terms of pricing. I could probably make a case for their $65 dinner buffet fee if you think of it more in terms of the separate cost for an appetizer, main and desert rather than as the cost for a buffet. The front counter staff were helpful although I was a bit annoyed when I was asked for a passport to exchange a small amount of New Zealand $ into Australian $. It's been a very long time since I was asked for a passport to exchange currency and I would have figured that by now, for small sums at least, the practice would be waved. There is a nice, simple pool area, free wifi in the lobby for an hour a day and the grounds are attractive. The center of the resort area is about 5 minutes away by walking and there are a couple of restaurants there along with a grocery store (there is a small bar refrigerator in the room that we emptied out and replaced with snacks from the grocery store). I would be interested in checking out some of the other places to stay in the area but my stay was just for two nights so I paid the money, took the place off the bucket list and moved on.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Traveleasier
australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2013 via mobile

We have just arrived home from a 3 night stay at Sails in the Desert. Uluru is one of those places that is considerably expensive to get too however also one of the places that we have always had on our "bucket list".
We have high expectations when it comes to food regardless of location and considering the remoteness of Uluru Sails did not disappoint. Breakfast at the hotel was excellent plenty of variety and fresh. All the meals that we had were fantastic, some of the best barramundi I have ever eaten..
The only downfall was the sour faced barista at the coffee machine.
The rooms at the hotel are clean and tidy however the housekeeping service is a little slow. We only had our room cleaned once because housekeeping at 3.30 in the afternoon was a little inconvenient.
If you get am opportunity to go to the day spa we can highly recommend it, we had massages which were superb!

• Stayed August 2013
2 Thank hardysontour
Canberra, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2013

Our room was very good and the overall property definitely lives up to its 5 star rating. The staff in all areas are very helpful and it is well worth a visit. The Rock is some distance away and is not visible from Sails but even just the feeling of being in the bush can't be described. One thing I should say to people flying in is to have your cameras ready when you're getting close to landing, especially coming in from Sydney, as the view of the Rock and the Olgas is gob-smacking. I didn't have my camera ready and I am kicking myself.

2 Thank PW03
Gillieston Heights NSW Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2013

I agree staying at Sails whilst enjoying Uluru and surrounds was a great move! The resort has been a great place to recharge during this full on few days! With extremely comfortable beds, good on site restaurants and a large pool to refresh! The buffet breakfast is open until 10 am. See my review on the Ilkari Restaurant before you eat there.$$$

Room Tip: Terrace Room with 2 beds beautiful....Room 224 was nice
1 Thank Rusty coach
Also consider these accommodations in or near Yulara
Desert Gardens Hotel, Ayers Rock Resort
#1 of 2 in Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park
Longitude 131
Longitude 131
#1 of 4 in Yulara

Been to Sails in the Desert Hotel, Ayers Rock Resort? Share your experiences!