“Expensive place to stay”

Sails in the Desert Hotel, Ayers Rock Resort
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Yulara
Reviewed August 20, 2013

The hotel was very nice and the room that we stayed in was perfectly fine (2 queen beds plus a roll away bed). But for the $600/night, it was the most expensive hotel room that I ever stayed in and I've definitely stayed in nicer hotels for less money. There are about half a dozen choices in the area and I chose this hotel as a result of the reviews on TA so I knew what to expect. The $30 fee for wifi for three days was a good deal. It would have been nice to have at least received breakfast included in the rate but the buffet breakfast at the restaurant was $39 per person, which I find to be way over the top in terms of pricing. I could probably make a case for their $65 dinner buffet fee if you think of it more in terms of the separate cost for an appetizer, main and desert rather than as the cost for a buffet. The front counter staff were helpful although I was a bit annoyed when I was asked for a passport to exchange a small amount of New Zealand $ into Australian $. It's been a very long time since I was asked for a passport to exchange currency and I would have figured that by now, for small sums at least, the practice would be waved. There is a nice, simple pool area, free wifi in the lobby for an hour a day and the grounds are attractive. The center of the resort area is about 5 minutes away by walking and there are a couple of restaurants there along with a grocery store (there is a small bar refrigerator in the room that we emptied out and replaced with snacks from the grocery store). I would be interested in checking out some of the other places to stay in the area but my stay was just for two nights so I paid the money, took the place off the bucket list and moved on.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Traveleasier
There are newer reviews for Sails in the Desert Hotel, Ayers Rock Resort

Reviewed August 16, 2013 via mobile

We have just arrived home from a 3 night stay at Sails in the Desert. Uluru is one of those places that is considerably expensive to get too however also one of the places that we have always had on our "bucket list".
We have high expectations when it comes to food regardless of location and considering the remoteness of Uluru Sails did not disappoint. Breakfast at the hotel was excellent plenty of variety and fresh. All the meals that we had were fantastic, some of the best barramundi I have ever eaten..
The only downfall was the sour faced barista at the coffee machine.
The rooms at the hotel are clean and tidy however the housekeeping service is a little slow. We only had our room cleaned once because housekeeping at 3.30 in the afternoon was a little inconvenient.
If you get am opportunity to go to the day spa we can highly recommend it, we had massages which were superb!

2  Thank hardysontour
Reviewed August 15, 2013

Our room was very good and the overall property definitely lives up to its 5 star rating. The staff in all areas are very helpful and it is well worth a visit. The Rock is some distance away and is not visible from Sails but even just the feeling of being in the bush can't be described. One thing I should say to people flying in is to have your cameras ready when you're getting close to landing, especially coming in from Sydney, as the view of the Rock and the Olgas is gob-smacking. I didn't have my camera ready and I am kicking myself.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank PW03
Reviewed August 13, 2013

I agree staying at Sails whilst enjoying Uluru and surrounds was a great move! The resort has been a great place to recharge during this full on few days! With extremely comfortable beds, good on site restaurants and a large pool to refresh! The buffet breakfast is open until 10 am. See my review on the Ilkari Restaurant before you eat there.$$$

Room Tip: Terrace Room with 2 beds beautiful....Room 224 was nice
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Rusty coach
Reviewed August 8, 2013 via mobile

I recommend this hotel especially if you can get a deal on your rate here. This is the best ranked hotel at the resort, but tourists i spoke to staying at other accommodation here with fewer stars, were happy. We were picked up at the airport by the free resort shuttle. There was a long queue to check in. We were NOT helped to our rooms by a porter which wd have made things easier. there was a pile of dirty plates and dirty napkins outside our door AND the key wd not work. We trudged all the way back to reception and Nish helped us. From then, things went smoothly, except for the clock radio waking me at 5am, from the previous guest. It is not the guest's responsibility to check room clocks do not have an alarm left from the last guest. The meals were expensive and mediocre. Friends had told us to do the dinner under the stars with sunset viewing of Uluru. Expensive, but worth it. Reception staff were helpful in checking on tours for me. The natural beauty of the place makes Ayers Rock a "must", and this hotel a good option if you can afford it.

2  Thank Poodlejosie
Reviewed August 7, 2013 via mobile

Staying at Sails whilst enjoying Uluru and surrounds was a great move! After pre dawn starts and sunset viewings the resort has been a great place to recharge during this full on few days! With extremely comfortable beds, good on site restaurants and a large pool to refresh! The buffet breakfast is open until 10 am, perfect for after sunrise viewing! The staff have been excellent. Will return.

Reviewed August 4, 2013

We spent 2 nights here recently. We had two balcony rooms - one of which really needed its garden redone and its balcony paintwork redone. The rooms were lovely but we found other people's gear in each of our rooms (a sweater and some face cream!!) when we checked in. Not what you expect from a calibre of hotel like this. And housekeeping left our room ajar after night turn down. Again, very sloppy. Food was really good and reasonably priced, layout of resort lovely and aboriginal decor throughout was great. As a family booking two rooms, I would have hoped they could have situated us closer together than we were - in separate wings of the hotel.

Room Tip: Try and get a room with a pool view
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family