“Well situated”

Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Yulara
Newcastle, Australia
“Well situated”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2013

We had a room withensuite and kitchenette, towards the rear of the complex, which was quiet and comfortable. The room had a queen sized bed and a single bed, a small table and chairs, sink, microwave and small fridge. However, this was perfectly adequate for our needs.
We stayed for two nights, one night on our own account and one night as part of a package.
The staff at reception were generally friendly and helpful, especially on arrival.
As there is a constanct shuttle bus service around the resort, we were not limited to facilities available at Outback Pioneer. We could have chosen to eat at any of the restaurants available throughout Yulara.
We purchased some groceries from the IGA, so were able to have one lunch, one dinner and one breakfast in our room. We did this because of times of tours, more than for any other consideration, but this was an economical option. However, with limited cooking facilities, the meals weren't brilliant!
We pre-purchased breakfast tickets for one morning and had breakfast in the Bough restaurant. There was a reasonable selection of hot food, cereals, fruit, etc.
After we checked out we had some time to kill, so we had lunch from the Pioneer Kitchen, which is alongside the bar area. We were able to sit at the tables for as long as we liked and the food from the Kitchen was very good. We had fish & chips - reasonably priced and well-cooked.
Overall, we enjoyed our stay at Outback Pioneer Hotel.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (272)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
York, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2013

Backpackers hotel, but fine for just a couple of nights. Good location to explore Uluru. Captive audience for all accommodation here for Ayers Rock resort (a little like centre parcs, really). The hotel was clean enough and the staff were helpful and knowledgeable. There were bugs around and it is helpful to have nets when out and about.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Scotland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2013

We spent two nights in a Standard Room at the Outback Pioneer Hotel & Lodge. The Outback Pioneer is the budget option at Yulara, but it's not particularly cheap! We went for a Standard Room which was a motel-style room with a double and two single beds. There are also budget rooms available which are more basic and have bunk beds.

Our room was fairly basic, but clean and well furnished with good air conditioning. If we'd paid the same price anywhere else then I would have been disappointed, but it's important to remember that Yulara is in the middle of nowhere, so everything has to be transported a considerable distance to service the resort. Even providing drinking water for the resort is an enormous expense. The resort has also been set up in a way that is very sympathetic to the amazing landscape and to the indigenous people who have lived in the area for tens of thousands of years. This includes running a training academy for indigenous people who want to pursue a career in hospitality.

The free activities around the resort, free shuttle bus and free airport transfers were all really welcome. Reception were very helpful and were able to arrange trips for us before and during our stay.

We ate at the BBQ one evening, which is a great idea but a bit of a faff! It took ages to cook our food and it was really difficult to get it done right because the BBQ grills aren't particularly hot. It was quite good fun, but if I went again then I would eat at one of the restaurants in town.

At the end of the day we were there to see Uluru and Kata Tjuta and the Outback Pioneer provided a very comfortable place to sleep in between sight-seeing.

Bangkok
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2013

This is the budget place to stay in Yulara.

The 4bed rooms are okay although not the cleaniest rooms I've seen in my life. The bed was small and short but gladly the AC worked so we did not freeze at night.

The staff was nice but with the toilet and shower facilities it really depended on when you used them (reading: before or after the horde of tourists like us came back from Uluru sunset at 6.30pm).

The BBQ is a very nice idea but in my view a rip-off. Either go to the supermarket and buy the groceries yourself and cook in the excellently equiped kitchen for guests or go to the very okay prices restaurant in the town center.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Daniel L, General Manager at Outback Pioneer Hotel & Lodge, Ayers Rock Resort, responded to this review, August 9, 2013
Dear KingOfTheValley,

Thank you for sharing your experience at the Outback Pioneer Hotel with others.

It is always a pleasure to read of positive experiences that guests have as a result of staff going going out of their way to assist guests. My personal thanks have been passed onto Gopi.

All the best with your future travels.

Kind regards,
Daniel Lukritz
Outback Pioneer Hotel
Easton, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 1, 2013

My wife and I stayed at this hotel for two nites. This hotel was pricey but so are all hotels in the Yulara area. This place is, in general, expensive because everything has to be trucked or flown in. Our room was nice with two full beds and a nice clean bathroom. It is quite basic, but economical compared to other hotels in the area. The staff, especially at the reception were outstanding, especially Mr. Gopi, who went out of his way to help us. We did not eat at the hotel. Instead, we had brought our own protein bars and our own wine/cheese. We also ate food we purchased at the IGA grocery store. Luckily we rented a car at the airport so we could drive around to the Rock, etc. In fact, I would strongly recommend renting a car at the airport on your arrival. Also bring your own wine from Sydney or wherever you are flying in from.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Lyon, France
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2013

Really good stay in front of Uluru! I stayed 2 night in the YHA part (dorm of 20people), but it wasnt full and the place was really good organized! Kitchen & Bathrooms were really clean at everytime, and I didnt see any bugs or roaches! We enjoyed the BBQ night, for 18AUD you have a huge beef burger and access to the Salad Bar! Staff was really nice and friendly with us, it was a very good point! Only little bad point, I think that 35AUD for a 20bed dorm is a little too much, even for Uluru. ;D

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Hollywood, FL
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2013

This is one of the more "reasonable" options at Ayer’s Rock Resort. I ended up staying in the female dorm 2 nights, which was bearable and really affordable at $38 a night. The dorm did seem quite stuffy at night – very poor airflow. It was cool enough outside that it did not prevent me from sleeping. I had to be up early for my tours, so it didn’t really matter where I slept! All of my personal items were safe – I just put all my bags under my bed (I had a lower bunk), and did not have any problems. The last night I was there they allowed me to upgrade to a private hotel room with private bathroom for $60 and I jumped at the chance. Had I done this my first night there, it would have cost me more than $200 to upgrade (and the hotel rooms are fine but pretty basic...). One thing that really stood out were the hot and strong showers – both in the communal bathroom and the private hotel room bath. That was a welcome relief after hiking Uluru, Kata Tjuta, and Kings Canyon!! I did eat at the resort 2 nights, and both times did the grill-your-own dinner option. The first night I chose a veggie burger, which was mostly mashed potato it seemed, and it tasted awful. The second night I chose the 3-sausage combo (beef, emu, bison), which were quite good. The grill-your-own options come with salad/hot veggie bar. They have nice beers on tap and wine by the glass as well. One section of the bar is labeled “bottle shop” and I saw people buying 6-packs of beer, etc.

Transportation around the resort is provided free on the Ayers Rock Resort shuttle. You can also walk from the Outback Pioneer into the town center on some designated paths.
I would recommend the hotel – especially if you don’t mind a hostel scenario; the dorms are reasonable, safe, and clean.

Room Tip: The dorms are kind of in the middle of the resort but the hotel room I upgraded to for the last nigh...