Outback Pioneer Hotel & Lodge, Ayers Rock Resort
Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Yulara
Reviewed March 7, 2013

The options of staying at Ayers Rock are very limited with budget options starting from approximately $40 a night in shared accommodation in either a 4 person mixed sex room or 20 person dorm.  Then there is a big jump in price to approximately $200 per night.   Because I knew I would rarely be in my room, I opted for a shared room.  As a solo female traveler, I wasn't comfortable in a mixed sex dorm and therefore I opted for the 20 person dorm room.  As soon as I arrived at the room, I knew it was immediately a mistake as guests were clearly on various time zones.  The room felt like a jail cell.  Although it was supposed to have air conditioning, it was broken.  When I mentioned this to the staff, I was assured that the air was working.  Two sleepless hours later, I went back to the reception and informed them that the air conditioning was definitely not working.  I was then moved to an unoccupied four person dorm room with a working air-conditioner and was able to sleep for a few hours before my sunrise camel tour, a tour not to be missed.  Additionally, I had rented a car so this wasn't an issue for me because I stored my luggage in the car, but should you wish to secure your luggage in a locker, it is $2 every time you access it, which is a ridiculous charge considering everything you do there has a siginficant mark up. In a sea of bad options, this is the only budget option there, but if I had to do it over again, I would've sprung for my own room. It would also be nice if the camp grounds had tents to rent out to travelers. Most everyone I met there were international visitors and therefore bringing one's own equipment is often not an option.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
3  Thank Mel727
Daniel L, General Manager at Outback Pioneer Hotel & Lodge, Ayers Rock Resort, responded to this reviewResponded March 12, 2013

Dear Mena727

Thank you for your review.
I would like to start by apologising for the dissatisfaction felt towards your stay with us at the Outback Pioneer Hotel and Lodge.
We pride ourselves on providing quality affordable accommodation with an array of room types to choose from. It is disappointing to read of the inconviences caused during the night due to an air conditioner fault however I am happy to hear this was rectified by our friendly staff with a room move.
In addition to the lockers for which we do charge a small fee, we also offer complimentary luggage storage with our porters and also offer safety deposit boxes at reception to store personal items such as passports and travel documents. I shall speak with our reception team to ensure this information is being conveyed to all of our guests.
Once again thank you for your review and wish you all the best in future travels

Reviewed March 3, 2013

This is possibly the most basic accommodation we have ever stayed in - but we were on a budget! Painted breeze block walls isn't the best look, but the room was clean, though a little dated. The bathroom was adequate, but again looking in need of a makeover. We were more disappointed with the lack of tidiness with the resort. There had been a thunderstorm a couple of days before we had arrived, and there was a large amount of debris from palm trees, and general vegetation scattered over pathways etc. At no point during our three day stay did we see anyone with a broom tidying up the grounds.That aside, we were so glad that we made the trip out to Ayers Rock - it was spectacular! Think about hiring a car, and go at your own pace, rather than booking the coach tours - it works out slightly cheaper if you take in all the sights. And if you can afford it, think about booking the Sound of Silence dinner, but only do it if you're prepared to be sociable with other travelers, and with the bugs that will join you at the dinner table!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Daniel L, General Manager at Outback Pioneer Hotel & Lodge, Ayers Rock Resort, responded to this reviewResponded March 6, 2013

Dear ianedin

Thank you for your feedback and it is wonderful to read of the enjoyment you experienced throughout your holiday in the red centre and the satisfaction felt towards the cleanliness of you room and its facilities.
I have passed your comments regarding the absence of garden maintenance on to our gardening team whom like myself are deeply apologetic for this. Together we have tailored our current procedures to ensure all pathways and public areas remain clean and tidy at all times.

Once again thank you for your review.

Reviewed February 26, 2013

Now the room was basic - painted blockwork walls but the bathroom was fine, bed comfortable but TV had problems getting many channels. The pool was welcoming and eating places good. We were pretty busy so only eat there once but a friend came over from the Desert Winds so he could BBQ himself a steak. The nightly entertainment is enjoyable and is why I guess they call it the party hotel of the basic 3.

There is very little in choice so all the hotels are expensive but guess it is what you have to pay if you want to see Uluru and Kata Tjuta. The Lodge caters for those happy to share a room, not my idea of a good time but even at 65 I enjoyed the party.

Room Tip: It was the party atmosphere around the Bar and BBQ that made this place.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 24, 2013

There is not much of another choice than staying at the Outback Pioneer Lodge. The lack of competition makes it easy for this shelter to just provide a non-charming basic place to sleep at the highest possible price, thus value for money is inexistent. Twohundred bucks for an overnight is way too high for what it is; knowing that everything around Uluru is hell expensive however I would have expected at least the feeling that someone cares to make guests feel comfortable.

We had a basic room and that did not have a shower nor toilet. Facilities are organised in campground-style. There is a restaurant, however you buy your own food and cook it there. The pre-cooked stuff there is on display is stale and the meat quality is crap.
The bar, although it can get somewhat crowded, lacks charm and is more of a staff party cafeteria. After seeing the room, at least the facilities came slightly cleaner than expected but again at the price of the room I would recommend an extensive refurbishment. Other reviewers talk about a nice pool; I could only see some milky-water pond.

If this propert is "authentic Australian", I have surely not been in Australia. Enjoy your stay.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Sveenz
Daniel L, General Manager at Outback Pioneer Hotel & Lodge, Ayers Rock Resort, responded to this reviewResponded February 26, 2013

Dear Sveenz

Thank you for your review.
At the Outback Pioneer and Lodge we pride our selves on delivering a quality outback inspired product and to understand that we did not meet your expectations is disappointing especially when this is something we are readily praised for.
Please accept my sincerest apologies for the inconveniences and dissatisfaction caused during your stay and know that constructive feedback enables us to be able to improve our guests overall stay.
Once again thank you for your feedback.

Reviewed February 24, 2013

You dont have many options if you want to visit the Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park. This hotel lodge is located inside the Ayers Rock Resort, where all the Yulara hotels are. This is one of the cheaper, offering large rooms with a pretty big bath. The rooms are clean, you can have a complete breakfast at the restaurant (inclusive) and you can eat self made BBQ or at the restaurant (very good) or at the "fast food". Swimming pool available, good 24h very friendly reception. A free bus every 20 mins does the tour of the whole resort, and also the transfer from Ayers Rock Airport to the resort is free, if you dont have a car. One lack: the wi-fi access is extremely costly: around 1 Dollar / 5 minutes. Absurd.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank giuseppealbini
Reviewed February 20, 2013

I was there with a group and we could enjoy very delicious food in the Hotel restaurant. The Tomato Soup was the best I ever ate! They have a very nice open air Bar with good music to relax. The Pool is big enough to have a refreshing bath after a long tour. The rooms are big and it is nice that you can brew in the early morning -before you start at 05:30 to Sunrise at the Uluru/Ayers Rock - a cup of coffee or tea in your room. I really liked the amenities of the bathroom.Very nice smell and refreshing.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed February 19, 2013

We flew in from Cairns and were lucky enough to get our first glimpse of Ayers Rock from our plane. The hotel complex provided a free airport transfer which is only a short distance. There are 3 hotels in total on the complex and we were told by the driver that our hotel was the best as it had the best bar and entertainment. The temperature was approx 48 degrees centigrade and after a speedy check in we were given a map to show us the location of our hotel room. This was located towards the back of our hotel complex, which was a little bit of a trek in the heat but not too bad. There is a large swimming pool located within the hotel grounds which seemed very popular. Our actual en-suite room was very spacious, clean and airey with a large comfortable double bed. It also had a small table & chairs, a room safe, ironing board and iron & a mini bar. It also had air con, fridge, micro and kettle.
There is a shuttle bus which runs around the complex taking you to the other hotels and to the local shops where there is a supermarket, post office and various other shops. The supermarket was reasonably priced in comparison to other areas of Australia. We decided to have a takeaway pizza which has a great system of where they give you a bleep which makes a loud sound with flashing lights to let you know when it is ready to collect. This gave us the opportunity to wait in another area of the hotel where it was cooler. The bar is a large open covered area and this made it quite a warm place to sit.

We had pre-booked an evening sunset tour with AAT Kings. The coach which collected us a a defective air-conditioning unit onboard and the coach was like a large metal sweat box. The driver tried to remedy this buy pouring water over the filter inside the air-con unit and consequently when he put it back together a few of the people who were sitting underneath it got a bit wet. Needless to say that we were very glad to get to the viewing location and made a very swift exit of the coach. Included in the sunset trip was drink and nibbles, however the nibbles consisted of a few cracker snacks, a dip and few cut up vegtables which were eaten very quickly and the food that was left only after a short time did not look appetising due to the heat. The fizzy cold white wine, red wine and soft drinks however where better.
The hotel offers a service of looking after your luggage until you require it. I was a little apprehensive about staying here after reading a few negative reviews. I can honestly say if ever I was back in this area I would have no reservations in staying here again. If you are looking for luxury then don't stay here, but if you are looking authenticness and a feeling of remoteness then I don't think you could do better then stay here.

Room Tip: Our hotel room was at the back of the complex, which is very, very quiet, but a bit of a trek from t...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple