“Summer at the Rock”

Emu Walk Apartments, Ayers Rock Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Yulara B&B and Inns
Reviewed January 10, 2014

We stayed at Emu Walk Apartments for several days. The apartment was conveniently close to the "town centre" with the IGA, a coffee shop run as a training ground for locals, and a gathering spot. The apartment had a great kitchen with all amenities so eating "in" was easy - no need for restaurants although the bountiful breakfast at Desert Gardens was included in the price.

Contrary to what I saw in another review, our air conditioning was working well at the same time with over 42 degree heat. Also our apartment was immaculately clean. The apartment was cleaned each day by a team of three young, efficient staff - and one would sing to herself quietly but beautifully as she worked, which I enjoyed hearing.

Parking is free. Internet only works at the hotel but really they should have internet in each apartment - there is no excuse not to put in an ethernet at least. The internet cost appears to be cheap but there is a data upload/download limit, it seems - my first $25 multi-day pass expired in 90'. Reception apologized and said they didn't know of a data limit and gave me a nice apology and a second $25 internet pass, which lasted about a day and a half.

One more complaint: they only give one key to an apartment. I asked why and was told people walk away with them. I offered to give a deposit but they said they don't have enough keys. That's silly: surely adults doing their own things during the day and night need their own separate keys!

We really enjoyed our stay at Emu Walk Apartments and I strongly recommend staying here. Sure, the apartments aren't luxurious but they are comfortable and, after all, the location is in a desert (correction: semi-arid region) where outside the inhospitability of the weather and terrain made me appreciate just having a comfortable home away from home.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank bcsanders
There are newer reviews for Emu Walk Apartments, Ayers Rock Resort

Reviewed January 5, 2014

Okay, so this was the mid-range option at Ayers Rock, so average is about what you'd expect, right? It was clean, large and in desperate need of a face lift. The internet didn't work, everyone was very sorry. The breakfast in Desert Sands was large and average.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Lynne08
Peter W, General Manager at Emu Walk Apartments, Ayers Rock Resort, responded to this reviewResponded January 14, 2014

Dear Lynne08,
Thank you for your review.
I’m glad to see overall you did not have any notable issues during your stay. We are currently working on a refurbishment plan for our Emu Walk apartments and look forward to being able to begin work later this year.
Our breakfast buffet at Desert Gardens Hotel is usually praised for its quality and variety, I apologize that your experience did not reflect this.
Again thankyou for your review and I hope to be able to welcome you back to Emu Walk in the future.
Peter White

Reviewed January 5, 2014

We had chosen to book an apartment as we had heard and read that meals would be rather expensive in the resort (which they were indeed). So the apartments proved to be the cheapest accommodation option apart from the camp site. Still in Alice Springs we filled our hire car with everything we needed for the stay.
We had a standard one-bedroom apartment with a foldout sofa in the living room. One could see that part of the furniture had recently been replaced, the walls had been repainted and new prints had been fitted to them. The bathroom and the kitchen were very new as well. The tired built-in wardrobes however dated back to the 1980s when the resort had been built.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank 12Travellingismylife
Reviewed January 2, 2014 via mobile

We reached resort on 29th Dec 2013. Temperature as expected 42+ degrees. Initially room was cool , even though bedrooms were quite hot we thought it will cool down in a while. Post sunset at uluru, which was majestic the temperature in emu walk apartments had spiked badly. Good hospitality gave us 1 more room for 5 of us in a different location. We shifted to new hotel room. To my surprise for 5 people they provided 1 small room with 2 queen and 1 kids bed. My question how can 5 people breath with 1 air-con? And how can a grown up sleep in kids bed? I went again In night to ask for help since temperature was unbearable. I got 1 more room. Ended up with 3 rooms . After speaking to jason since Leon Pink was on holiday , what i got was $200 refund . But what i list was my planned trip to kings canyon. People at reception were very helpful ( mr. Kadam, natalie and waters) .
My question is simple, why is this resort in business if they can't manage air-conditioning?
With all due respect to people who helped me during my stay , there has to be competition near this resort so that resort management understands basics of resort (hotel) management.
DO NOT BOOK this resort if you are travelling in summer.

I am still awaiting a phone call from customer relationship team of thus resort. Since I am quite good in following up, i will make sure they fix this problem ASAP. Unhappy to pay even $300 for 1 night ,2 bedroom apartment.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
4  Thank J3ack
Reviewed January 1, 2014

I visited Uluru with my family in late December, we loved Uluru and all that it has to offer but were very disappointed in our accommodation. The apartment was very outdated - the carpet and curtains worn, the shower was dirty with large clumps of dirt or mould near the ceiling and worst of all our outdoor area was terrible - the chairs covered in cobwebs and dirt and plastic bags and a broken bottle in the garden. We should of complained the day we arrived but the rude check in staff left us feeling uncomfortable to voice our concerns.

There were some good points about the resort, including good meals at both Gekos and Ilkari and the lovely pool at Sails, however the apartments really felt neglected. Uluru is an amazing place and I would hate to discourage people from visiting but if this is the best apartment style accommodation the resort can offer, many families will be left disappointed........

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank familyadventuresoz
Jason Y, General Manager at Emu Walk Apartments, Ayers Rock Resort, responded to this reviewResponded January 1, 2014

Dear carlyw5,
Thank you for your review.
Please accept my sincere apologies for your disappointment in the apartment and the poor service you received from our reception staff. We pride ourselves on delivering a high level of customer service and I will discuss your comments with the reception team.
Please be assured that the standard of cleaning you experienced does not reflect our normal standards, clearly there has been a breakdown in procedures which I will follow up with our Housekeeping Manager. We are aware that the apartments are in need of refurbishment in the near future and currently are looking into a plan to begin work.
Jason Yule

Reviewed December 24, 2013

If you want to stay near Uluru and kata Tjuta your options are limited. And like everywhere else when supply is thin, you pay more than you should for accommodation. We stayed at the Emu walk apartments for two nights, we had a one-bedroom apartment with a sofabed (to limit the costs a little, normally we stay in two bedroom apts). The apartment itself is quite outdated, looks nice on the outside but you can see that they are in need of maintenance. The carpet inside the apartment has been there since the 1950's by the look of it. The sofabed was terrible! A very thin mattress, you kept rolling to the centre, the bed itself was not flat, so two nights of not sleeping very well! They advertise like this is a 4 person apt, but I really do not see how two adults can sleep on this sofabed!
The location is excellent, 10 minutes to the national park entrance, also there is a "town square" with a well stocked IGA and a couple of shops and restaurants/takeaways. There is a gasstation nearby.

Room Tip: Do not think that four adults can stay in a one bedroom apartment, the sofabed is not suited for two...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank MoniekEindhoven
Jason Y, General Manager at Emu Walk Apartments, Ayers Rock Resort, responded to this reviewResponded January 5, 2014

Dear MoniekEindhoven,
Thank you for your review.
It is unfortunate to read that we did not meet your expectations with the apartment. Please accept my sincere apologies for the poor mattress supplied on your sofa bed and for the uncomfortable two nights had to sleep on it. If you had raised this issue with our reception team I am sure we would have been able to rectify this for you.
Again thankyou for your feedback.
Jason Yule

Reviewed December 13, 2013

We had read the mixed reviews of Emu Walk apartments, so wondered what sort of accommodation we would get. The apartment was completely clean and equipped in the same way as most other apartments. Yes, it is a little old fashioned, but then the price we paid reflected that. I would recommend this as an option. As others have said, the IGA shop is well equipped and reasonably priced. Alcohol is expensive and take away alcohol is the same price as drinking in. Service across the resort was friendly

The Sounds of Silence dinner is spectacular and well run. As a family who are interested in Aboriginal culture, we were surprised that the welcoming dances lasted about 20 seconds each - and were not sure whether that was because it was not thought that the crowd would be interested or for some other reason, but in 15 years of living in Australia, I haven't seen such a cursory approach. But this was a relatively minor point in an otherwise very well organised function - and the service and friendliness of the staff was impeccable.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple