“Well maintained and Good Location”

Emu Walk Apartments
Ranked #1 of 1 Yulara B&B and Inns
Reviewed July 12, 2013

We recently stayed two nights at the Emu Walk Apartments. The apartments are located midway between the town square and the Desert Gardens Hotel. You check in through the hotel and the apartments are linked to the hotel by a shaded walkway. The hotel staff took our bags to our room so we could join a tour. We were on the second floor which would be an issue for travellers with disabilities.

the apartments was spacious, clean and well maintained. It had a verandah from which we could just see The Olgas peeping over the sand dune. Our apartment had good kitchen facilities. The bathroom had no bath which seemed strange for this type of property. The TV also was very much out oif date but we didn't care as we weren't here to watch TV!

The Desert Gardens had a very pleasant restaurant and we ate there both for dinner and breakfast. I would recommend both. The hotel also has a tour booking service and the staff were particularly helpful

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank westernsydney
Write a ReviewReviews (1,093)

Reviewed July 12, 2013

I can't believe all these complaining reviews. What do people expect?

You're out in the middle of nowhere, smack bang in front of Uluru and no one wanted to pay top dollar for Sails or Desert Gardens (which are much nicer).

Yes, the apartments are pretty crap and don't smell nice but our family didn't expect a luxurious holiday and are aware that the high price is because its literally out in the middle of nowhere.

We were barely in our apartment, we did every walk possible (the Uluru Base Walk, Valley of the Winds, Kings Canyon and Walpa) and only came home to sleep! So Emu Walk was fine, I didn't expect to have my bed turned down with a chocolate on my pillow.

You're at Uluru! You're walking around in ugly clothes surrounded by red dust. It's not a glamour holiday and thats the best price you can get for the convenience of waking up to see the rock, and in my eyes, it's fair.

Dinner tips:
The buffet at Sails was $65 per person, and with 4 20 somethings on this trip, it was a degustation! Well worth the money - ignore the bad reviews about it, it's the best in the area and will fill you up for the next 4 days.

Room Tip: The rooms aren't nice. My tip: don't spend your holiday in them.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Emily B
RM_Desert_Gardens, General Manager at Emu Walk Apartments, responded to this reviewResponded July 21, 2013

Dear Emily B

Thank you for your review.

It is fantastic to read that your trip to Ayers Rock Resort was an enjoyable experience!

I am pleased to know that your Emu Walk apartments provided your family with a stay that was comfortable and practical.

Reviewed July 7, 2013

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
1  Thank 2,836
RM_Desert_Gardens, General Manager at Emu Walk Apartments, responded to this reviewResponded July 14, 2013

Reviewed July 6, 2013 via mobile

A friend and I stayed here for two nights. The problem with staying in Yulara is there really isn't much choice in terms of variety since the whole resort area is run by the same group.
We arrived quite late after the sunset viewing and had to wait 10 minutes to get a key with the staff picking up the phone 3-4 times in the middle of serving us. We went to "our apartment" and opened the door to find a family eating dinner in "our accommodation". The staff had given us keys to an apartment which was already occupied! We marched with our bags back to reception and lined up behind two irate customers, one whose room hadn't been properly serviced for two days and another who checked in over a hour ago but whose bags hadn't been delivered. After receiving apologies from the staff we were told that they couldn't find the key to our apartment but would let us in using the master key while they looked for it.
After being let into our apartment we found the place infested with ants. There was a scrap of food in the kitchen and some hundreds (or thousands) of ants were swarming over the kitchen bench. We also discovered ants in the bathroom and on the bed, disgusting.
The staff found the key for us that night and gave us a bottle of wine as an apology but really it's something that shouldn't have happened in the first place.
With the exception of the key mess up and insect infestation our stay was ok. The housekeeping staff were commendably efficient, they were in and out in less than 5 minutes.
We had dinner at the Arnguli Grill restaurant where the food was delicious and I highly recommend it.

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank Bluesilverdragon

Dear Bluesilverdragon

Thank you for your review.

It is great to read of both your praises to our housekeeping team and your recommendations of Arnguli Grill to fellow travellers.

I would like to apologise for the key error upon check in which has been addressed with our team accordingly. Please be assured we do have rigorous pest control measures in place. However we do live in environment of extremes and sometime pests can overwhelm these defences.

Reviewed June 29, 2013

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
Reviewed June 23, 2013

We rented a two bedroom apartment with one bathroom. The unit heater was broken, so they brought in portable heaters. It was clean. Beds were reasonable. The apartment worked but lacked amenities for the price we paid. I suspect they knew you were a captive audience.

Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Vaughancm
RM_Desert_Gardens, General Manager at Emu Walk Apartments, responded to this reviewResponded June 27, 2013

Dear Vaughancm

Thank you for your review.

I am glad you were satisfied with the cleanliness of the apartment. I apologize for the disappointment regarding heating and the amenities offered. Please be assured the heating issues are being addressed. We are currently introducing a new range of bath room amenities in to our apartments. We are constantly reviewing the equipment in our apartments to ensure they are in the best possible condition.

Thanks again for your feedback.

Best regards,

Desert Gardens Hotel / Emu Walk Apartments

Reviewed June 21, 2013

I absolutely loved staying in this resort, not so much in these apartments.

Location is amazing. Everything was close by, our apartment was only a quick 1-2 min walk from IGA & the centre of 'town'. Actually, where ours was situated (#225), it was closer to town than reception, the pool and laundry.... At the top of the steps from reception, if you turn back there is a good view of the rock, there is also another lookout a few hundred metres away where you can see a better view of the rock & the Olgas. There are quite a few lookouts around. We watched sunset from the one a few minutes from the town centre & that was just amazing. Highly recommend a Sunrise tour of the rock though. Amazing!

Check in is long. Everyone arrives at once as there are only a few flights per day. Even with about 5 (I think) check in people, it was a long wait! It's understandable, they don't organise the flights and have as many staff on as they can at that time so not much else can be done. Also, you may or may not find out information from the desk, depending on who checks you in. The guy I had was very quiet and I had to ask questions as he wasn't explaining anything... The lady next to me was getting everything explained without having to ask. I wasn't told anything about the deposit ($100) on my card, but luckily I just eavesdropped on the other lady.

We stayed here in the heart of Summer. 47 degrees!! Air con worked in everywhere but the front bedroom which we were in and it was noisy. We ended up using the fan that was in the apartment. Ants are a major problem. There are signs not to leave food around, which is fair enough. I would also highly suggest that don't put any food in your bin in the kitchen as the ants are cheeky little buggers and will swarm the whole place in 30 mins. The first night we found ants crawling in our bed & along the wall so had to move the bed into the middle of the room and buy insect killer. We advised them that there were ants in the bed but were met with blank stares..... From what we could tell, the room was cleaned once during our 3 day stay. So definitely make sure there is no food in that bin!!!

The apartment itself is very basic and reasonably clean. Basic pots, pans and cutlery is provided & you have a small microwave and an electric stove to use. Also kettle, tea & coffee as usual. We chose to buy food from the IGA & cook for our dinners as it's quite expensive to eat out there. We had lunch once at the Outback Pioneer Kitchen which isn't too far away, just get the free shuttle bus (every 20 mins) and you'll be there in no time.

Overall, it's good enough. I wanted to stay elsewhere but we had 4 people and this was the cheapest by far... Although, it's not cheap. We booked 6 months in advance, after watching the prices and they weren't dropping, I thought I was getting a good deal... I had a quick look at the prices 3 months later and they had dropped almost $200 from what we paid and included breakfast. Wasn't happy, but it happens... Really could do with a bit of a makeover...

Something to note, you can use the all the pools in the resort. They don't really tell you much about that... or maybe it was just the check in guy that didn't tell me...

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank lizzy309
RM_Desert_Gardens, General Manager at Emu Walk Apartments, responded to this reviewResponded June 24, 2013

Dear lizzy309

Thank you for your review.

It is disappointing to read that your arrival experience was not mirrored but that of others. I have addressed this with our Front Office Manager to ensure we are more consistently delivering this service.

We live in extremes of nature and we are susceptible to insects especially in the summer months. We do outline the impact these insects have to ensure that there is minimal impact on our guests. I apologise for the inconviences this caused.