“Shabby apartments let down a fbulous experience”

Emu Walk Apartments, Ayers Rock Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Yulara B&B and Inns
BLUE MOUNTAINS
“Shabby apartments let down a fbulous experience”
Reviewed May 13, 2013

First off let me say Uluru and Kata Tjuta (The Olgas) is a must for everyone to experience. Its a truly unforgettable experience. The big let down is the resort facilities. They are tired, tardy and suffering from TLC.Our first apartment was 209. It had a very strange odour about it and had an air conditioner that only ran at full speed, the noise of which was like an aircraft about to take off.(So much for "touch the silence"). There were large chips out of the corners of the walls from careless baggage navigation,edge veneers on cupboards missing and a very unwelcoming shabbiness about the whole apartment. After a sleepless night we complained and were moved to an apartment in which you could control the air con. This was 308 and a much better apartment. As this was the same price as 209 one has to wonder why 209 should have been let at all.There is still a very low budget feel to these apartments, which is certainly not reflected in the price. A spruce up and change of colour scheme would do wonders. The resort itself is reminiscent of a 70's university campus, and again its in desperate need of maintenance.

On the positive side the staff are wonderful, the food in the deli,the village restaurant and the take away is exceptionally good and well priced. Our deal with Emu Walk also included breakfast in the hotel dining room and this was exceptionally good as well.

When everything else with the area is so good its a shame that the resort dose not maintain the same excellent standard.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MOUNTAINMOK
RM_Desert_Gardens, General Manager at Emu Walk Apartments, Ayers Rock Resort, responded to this review, May 20, 2013
Dear MOUNTAINMOK

Thank you for your feedback and I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your outback experience exploring both Uluru and Kata Tjuta.

It is certainly disappointing to read your concerns with your apartment. Please be assured your feedback has been taken seriously. As previously noted the resort is currently going through a refurbishment program. Sails in the Desert and our conference centre were completed in the November 2012. The rest of our hotels and outlets will be enhanced over the next couple years. I am sure your comments will be addressed during these enhancements.

It is pleasing to know that the team at both Emu Walk Apartments and Desert Gardens Hotel provided a high service standard and were accommodating to your requests.

I wish you all the best in your future travels

Kind Regards
Leon Pink
Desert Gardens Hotel / Emu Walk Apartments

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (182)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Reviewed May 11, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at Emu Walk Appartments over the ANZAC long weekend. We had a wonderful weekend with perfect weather, visting Kata Tjuta, Uluru and Kings Canyon (well worth the long trip). The resort seemed quite quiet but everything ran extremely smoothly, from the free shuttle from the airport to quick check-in at the appartments, booking tours, school holiday activities...

The appartment was fine - spacious, clean and well equipped. To be honest we really didn't spend too much time there as we were out most of the days we were there but it was more than adequate when we were there. We ate at the restaurants sometimes and catered for ourselves at other times. There is a great supermarket where you can buy just about anything.

In summary, we had a great trip and I really recommend it, the Red Centre is totally beautiful and unique. The resort feels like a real little village and is well equipped. It's all a little pricey than you would pay in the city but lets face it, with the nearest town 500 kms away, you can't get much more remote than that!

If we were to go again, we would probably hire a car and travel around independently rather than the coach tours as I'm sure it's a much cheaper option but apart from that, I wouldn't have changed a thing.

Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Walkingwombles
Preston, Lancs
Reviewed May 3, 2013

I stayed in the Emu Walk apartments with my partner and our friend for a weekend in October 2012. Ulluru ( Ayers Rock) itself was spectacular, I really enjoyed visiting it and learning about the indigenous culture (I didn't climb the rock!). Also visited the Olgas. The best experience we had was the 'Sounds of Silence; dinner, bookable via the hotel reception, it is amazing, definite a must-do for anyone visiting the resort.
The accommodation itself was ok. I felt it was expensive for what it was, but they can charge a premium with being the only resort in the area. The 2 bedroom apartment was large and clean and relatively well equipped. the beds were comfortable. Some other reviews have commented on how expensive the shop in the resort is, but I actually felt it was quite reasonable, with some items being cheaper that prices in Melbourne. We decided to eat at the backpackers as there was a band playing and a bit more atmosphere. We spent a bit of time round the pool one day which was ok.
All in all, loved Ulluru and the apartment was fine for what we needed.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank WeeDougie1
RM_Desert_Gardens, General Manager at Emu Walk Apartments, Ayers Rock Resort, responded to this review, May 9, 2013
Dear WeeDougie1

Thank you for your review and your kind comments regarding both your stay at Emu Walk Apartments and Ayers Rock Resort.

It is wonderful to read that you found your apartment was well equipped and allowed for a comfortable for yourself, your partner and your friends.

I am pleased to read that your stay in the red centre exceeded your expectations and provided the perfect back drop for a truly memorable holiday

Best regards,

Leon Pink
Desert Gardens Hotel / Emu Walk Apartments
Caloundra, Queensland, Australia
Reviewed April 25, 2013 via mobile

I booked an apartment for 2 couples and when we got here we were given 2 separate, next to each other, units.
The units are not modern, however they are clean! Beds are made every day and towels changed also. Reception staff are we're friendly and helpful. The pool is handy and you can also wash and dry your clothes in a separate area. If you want you can also buy food at the local shop and cook in the unit. We chose to eat out every day.
I would stay again and recommend these units.

Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Swissmiss6969
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed April 22, 2013

My trip to Yulara was amazing.

The Ayers Rock Resort is like a very 'well oiled machine'. Transfers from the airport to the resort await you at the airport. When you arrive at the resort the staff all greet you with a smile and assist you with all your needs.

The willingness to help by the resort staff is amazing. My friend and I chose to take our own bags to our room as there were a number of groups that the porters were looking after. Unfortunatly we got a little lost. 2 Maintainence men approached us asking if we were OK. We showed them our room key, and he advised our room was a wee walk. Next thing he was on the walkie talkie organising porters to come and collect our lugagge for us. He gave us directions to our room and offered to wait with our bags until the porters arrived. Great start to the week!

On my 3rd day there I took a scenic flight and became quite 'air sick' and I believe I was dehydated as well. I went to the Visitors Information Centre and the girl asked if I was OK. We chatted and she was very helpfu and wished me a speedy recovery. I went back in the next day, not realising it was the same girl serving me and she asked if I was feeling any better. I thanked her for remembering and said yes I was on the mend. Another big tick for customer service.

There's plenty to do around the resort itself pool, day spa, a few shops great dining facilities and some free activities including spear throwing lessons. Pricing is very reasonable and the food is delicious. Arnguli Grill converts from an a la carte restaurant with great share style plates including seafood and a great grill selection to a buffet breakfast in the morning with eggs and pancakes cooked to order. Everything is fresh and cooked to perfection.

My big recommendations are the 'Sounds of Silence' dinner and 'Desert Awakenings' tour. All guides are knowledgable in the area and on aboriginal culture.

Overall 10/10 for a great relaxing holiday!

Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

2 Thank Belinda L
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
Reviewed April 21, 2013

I was a bit worried before packing the family up and heading to the middle of Australia. There were quire a few negative Tripadvisor reviews of the apartments, so I was expecting some sort of cockroach-infested hovel. Once we arrived and checked in, I realised how many whingers there are on this site! Our two-bedder was clean,with plenty of room and situated a few paces from the shops and cafes. There was a faulty light in the main room, but after a phonecall to reception it was fixed within 15 minutes. Ok, it wasn't 2013-modern, but not too many places are, in this price range. But we had clean sheets, great aircon, daily room servicing by a squad of friendly backpackers and we could sit on the back area and watch shooting stars each night! The kids made great use of the pool in the Desert Sands, about a five minute walk from the room, and the buffet breakfasts were knockout - full continental and hot selection, including eggs and pancakes made to order. Mmmm.....pancaaaakes. Erin on reception at the restaurant was a ray of sunshine each morning, always making us welcome. The small supermarket had everything we needed to self-cater, and if we didn't feel like cooking, Gekko Cafe and Ayer's Wok served up great meals. Takeway beer and wine is available from one of the nearby budget hotels, but there's an odd system where you have to present your room key and then are limited to a bottle of wine and/or a six pack per visit. But you can't fight city hall, so we just made multiple trips!! I have to say, too, that every single staffer we encountered was a pleasure to deal with, so whoever's training them is doing a great job. If you're travelling there with smaller kids, I'd suggest bringing a few CDs and DVDs as there is only one local TV station and local radio is a bit hit-and-miss if you're not into Triple-J. And if you feel like complaining about the flies or a lack of in-room espresso machine, just remember that you are in one of the most stunningly beautiful parts of the world, and it is a privelege to be there.

Room Tip: Rooms closer to the Town Centre end - 210 and up, I think - face north-south and so you don't ge...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Matt88888888
Solihull, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 16, 2013

I was really impressed by the size of our apartment; it had a large living/dining room with a good sized kitchen off, one reasonable bedroom and bathroom. The kitchen was well-equipped so it was easy to self-cater.The Apartments are very central in the resort - the nearest to the shopping centre and supermarket, and between the two hotels with their swimming pools. Reception is shared with the Desert Gardens Hotel; there is a small sign to this effect but it is not too obvious. We were told where we could stop the car to unload the luggage nearest to the apartment, but no-one offered to carry it to our room on the first floor. There is ample free parking at the resort. The supermarket is well-stocked and you can buy everything you need to cook meals. Large bottles of water were on special offer too. The prices were what we expected - after all you are rather captive visitors here and it must cost to transport in all the food. A free shuttle bus does a circuit of all the places in the resort if it is too hot for you to walk between them.
To respond to some criticisms in other reviews: There are flies from the moment you get off the plane, not just at this hotel. We were warned to bring nets to cover the head, but they sell them on-site anyway, This is the desert!
The swimming pools were lovely; they are not heated but don't need to be in this climate. The water was a lovely temperature and no different to any of the others I tried in Australia. The pool bar at Sails in the Desert did wonderful cocktails. Go with the flow!

Room Tip: Ask for a ground floor apartment if steps are a problem.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple