“The best hike and most memorable dinner of our Aussie trip”

Kings Canyon Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Kings Canyon
Reviewed April 30, 2009

This was a great one night stay for us between Alice and Uluru. My husband and I hiked Kings Canyon before staying the night at this lodge. The hotel rooms are very clean and comfortable. Do not miss the "Sounds of Firelight" Dinner at this place, it is a wonderful meal, I can not recommend it enough! Wine with every one of the five courses, surrounded by beatiful velvet blue sky, eucalyptus trees, and firelight. A maximum of 5 couples are at the dinner every night, which leads to great conversation and a very intimate setting. A perfect way to celebrate our anniversary!

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank FullRainbow

Reviewed April 12, 2009

All accommodation is expensive at Kings Canyon, so the budget lodge rooms are about the only less expensive option. I guess you have to pay for the remoteness of the place.
The facilites are shared with the campground and there is a very basic shared kitchen for self catering.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled with friends
1  Thank Oatley_traveller
Reviewed March 15, 2009

Despite hearing how fabulous the location is, it is just a 3/5. We stayed in a deluxe spa room which was clean, adequate, and adequately furnished-- of course, it was overpriced due to Voyages' monopoly there.

The big joke on us was a sign at checkin that warned us that "reservations are essential" at the Desert Oaks cafe -- the only restaurant open that night at the resort. We made reservations for 3 at 730pm (my wife, grown son, and I) that was recorded and accepted. After a full day outside (hiking, helicoptering, ...), we arrived promptly at the cafe at the appointed hour of 730pm. No tables were available and we were asked to wait in the bar for 30-45mins until a table freed up. Our name was at the top of the list in the sparsely recorded reservation book. My son was extremely hungry after an active day and took a single table by himself -- ruining what I had hoped would be a wonderful evening. My wife and I had a pizza in the bar and left.

Response from management -- nothing! They have a monopoly on this very mediocre place and know it!

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank zugs
Reviewed March 14, 2009

I stayed in a spa room which is nice and the pool is nice.

But there are many things wrong with this property. First, the only place to eat was a cafe -- which is a bit like a 50s style diner. They said "reservations essential" for dinner and we made them and despite the fact that no one was making reservations, we were not able to get a table -- appalling for the one place to eat. Second, I can understand the food they serve being expensive given the location but it should at least be edible -- the pizza for instance that they serve should at least look like a pizza.

Second, the property is located some distance (maybe about 10km) from the park entrance so if you do not have a car your only options are tour buses which leave in the morning for walks in the park. There should be some option for a shuttle to the park. I asked about private guides and the like and nothing was available and the staff did not seem to care.

You can do a helicopter ride from the property (US$220 for 30 minutes (for this you will get closer to 25 minutes)). This enables you to see the remoteness of it all

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank ghfatw
Reviewed January 11, 2009

I loved this resort, the rooms were lovely, but I did have the deluxe rooms with the spa which were great. I loved that we got bathrobes and slippers to use. It is in a very nice setting. They have a pool but they keep it at an incredible low temperature which you'd think is nice in the middle of the desert but it's really not. It was pretty uncomfortable and we couldn't spend more than a few minutes in it.
The buffet dinner is also not too great, with the food being below average.
It is the only choice when visiting King's Canyon and i definitely recommend splurging for a deluxe room since there is nothing better than having a nice spa after hiking.

• Stayed: October 2008
    • Check in / front desk
2  Thank Atalanta8
Reviewed November 29, 2008

We arrived at the Kings Canyon resort after a wonderful outback drive from Uluru, during which time the wildlife including camels had entertained us at every turn. We booked into a powered camp site spot for one night and thoroughly enjoyed our stay. The staff are generally very helpful although we came across a young guy working in the restaurant who I think was having a bad day which we clearly had made much worse by asking for a meal. At night the bar area opens up to a large BBQ providing a range of BBQ meats from the usual steak to the more traditional outback tucker of crocodile, Emu and Kangaroo. There is nightly entertainment which is good fun if a little 'touristy' and be warned the night we stayed there was full on audience participation, great if you're into that but we slipped away quietly. The showers and toilet block were very clean and the supplies in the store covered everything that you could need. As for Kings Canyon itself, wow! What a great place to walk round, we were very lucky on the day we went in that it was cool and even rained which made the walk a much easier experience than it would be in the usual outback heat. The walk starts up a steep incline which if you suffer from vertigo (which i do in bucketloads) looks absolutely terrifying, I really thought at first that I wouldn't be able to do it; but perservere, (and do not look behind you as you climb up) and the rewards are well worth it.

• Stayed: November 2008
    • Check in / front desk
1  Thank DorsetKezzer
Reviewed October 12, 2008

My partner and I had a wonderful time at King's canyon and were so glad we went. We had a spa room, which had a beautiful private view. The spa was heaven after climbing the canyon for about 4 hours! The spa rooms are more expensive, but if you wait until a few weeks before you go, the last minute booking websites offer some great prices.

The room was fairly average, but the spa and view made up for that. You don't spend alot of time in the room anyway. It smelt bad, because of the bore water, but thats to be expected.

I highly recommend that you do the Sounds of Firelight! The food was awesome!!! And it was a really memorable night.

All the staff were lovely as well, and check in and out was fast.

You must do the canyon rim walk. I am not a very fit person, so the initial climb was a struggle, but if you just take your time and have a couple of rest breaks, its not that bad. Once you are up the top, its all fairly flat, apart from some stairs at one point, when you descend into the Garden of Eden. Kathleen Springs, a little down the road, was also very beautiful.

I have no real complaints about King's Canyon, it was a great stay and we even got to see a Sand Storm when we left to drive to Uluru!

I think that alot of people have unrealistic expectations for the resorts in the Red Centre. keep in mind that you are in the middle of nowhere, and you are not there for the hotel, but for the beauty and majesty of the Red Centre.

3  Thank carlalee

Been to Kings Canyon Resort? Share your experiences!