“Yeah, very average in parts”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Kings Canyon
Reviewed May 6, 2013

People are great and the service attentive, but the caravan part of the resort is in some real need of maintenance. The shower blocks had constant running water; an absolute crime out in desert country and the water evaporative air conditioners appear to be on their last legs. 4 of the 5 BBQs we tried had no gas and no light to cook by - so cook early if you plan to use their facilities and the gates to the amenities block, designed to keep the dingoes out, which howl at night (not fab if you're tenting it) are mainly broken. Bring your own food, cookers, wine, beer, fuel and accommodation if you come. The one highlight and it is worth a rave, is the caravan bistro. Fabulous food and considering where it is, great value for money.

Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
Katrina W, General Manager at Kings Canyon Resort, responded to this reviewResponded May 12, 2013

Thank you very much for your feedback on Trip Adviser. Since you addressed the BBQ’s not working while you were here we have placed instructions on all of them to help be user friendly and designated a care taker to assist in the campground.

I’m glad you enjoyed the food and were able to dine with us. I hope you have an occasion to visit us in the future.

There are newer reviews for Kings Canyon Resort

Reviewed May 5, 2013

When visiting King's Canyon this is the place to stay. The resort is a series of one story buildings with spacious hotel rooms, great A/C. My room had a patio area as well. There is a pool. The Ridge trail around the resort is a nice hike. You can go to the Shell station if you need supplies. The restaurant is fun and serves good local food. There was a brush fire earlier in the year that destroyed some of the resort, but, it has recovered well. Be sure to fine a spot to watch the sunset.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank William D

It’s nice to hear you enjoyed your stay with us at Kings Canyon Resort. I appreciate your feedback about our facilities and food.

Yes we have recovered well after the fire that wrapped around our resort. Looking forward in seeing you in the near future on your return.

Reviewed April 29, 2013

We chose to stay at this "resort" to avoid the drive back to Yulara after the hike at King's Canyon. The word "resort" should be used loosely, as the accommodation has more of a caravan park feel (with cabins). The room we had was big enough for three (just) and the bathroom was very spacious an well maintained. I found the bed very comfortable as prefer a soft bed, but the others I was with had a restless night sleep due to the beds. The view for sunset was lovely. I agree with other people's review of the "diner." It was pretty drab, but we had pizza which was well priced and yummy. The other food on the main menu is quite pricey for the "resort" and lacked basics that people would enjoy after a day spent at the canyon. I guess to sum up, the dining experience lacked atmosphere and could have been a lot better with some new ideas.

My actual thoughts whilst I was staying were, "wouldn't it be great if a retired couple came out, spent some cash and turned this into a place that people rushed to stay at." Was just a little tired for the limited accommodation available in the area.

Was very close to the canyon though which was a bonus!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
Katrina W, General Manager at Kings Canyon Resort, responded to this reviewResponded May 5, 2013

Thank you for your feedback whilst your stay at Kings Canyon Resort. I’m glad the room was big enough for the 3 of you and well maintained rooms but I’m sorry to hear some of you had a restless sleep.

Thank you for your ideas for the Dessert Oaks Bistro as we will be making changes and improvements for the season. We have opened our other dining option called the Out Back BBQ with live entertainment 6 nights a week.

Hope to see you in the near future,

Reviewed April 27, 2013

The room we had was just beautiful and the beds so relaxing.
We were pleased we made the 3hr drive from Uluru to King's Canyon as the National Park there is just extraordinary.
The stars at night above the spa in the room we had also looked amazing.
A beautiful place in the world.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family

Thank you very much for your feedback as I am very glad to hear you had a beautiful stay with us. The Deluxe Spa rooms are amazing and gives our guests a completely different view of relaxing.

We hope to see you in the future at Kings Canyon Resort, thank you.

Reviewed April 27, 2013

I need to begin by alerting readers to the fact that a severe fire in January caused widespread damage to the local area which means that vegetation is burned and black and that wildlife has all but disappeared. This a dreadful blow to all concerned, but luckily the actual canyon is unharmed so you can still enjoy marvellous walking there. Also luckily, the fire stopped at most of the resort, although the boardwalk and one resturant were destroyed.
However, bearing all this in mind, it was clear that the other restaurant had not been used in months, maybe even years so I think the resort had begun to run itself down even before the fire.
The situation had not been made clear to us before booking and we paid a lot of money to stay here expecting a touch of luxury. We had to use the facilities of the campsite including the self service restaurant. We have no objection to this at all, we just would have liked to know in advance that essentially we would be staying on a campsite and we would like to have paid a price reflecting this instead of the highly inflated price we were charged.
Staff were very friendly and the food we had there (lunch, supper and breakfast) was all excellent.
We just felt we had been tricked to expect facilities which just weren't there despite being charged for them.
Go there by all means as a way of visiting the canyon, but don't pay for the hotel - stay at the campsite and you will have a great time.

1  Thank Woo12

Yes we did have a fire run through Watarrka National Park and caused severe damage to a few of our facilities however visible green shoots are slowly coming back in areas after the devastation. Carmichaels Restaurant has been closed since June 2012 for opperational reasons.
Some of the facilities to Carmichaels were damaged during the fires and as a result Carmichaels will remain closed until further notice and all necessary repairs are compelte. We have our Dessert Oaks bistro open for dining and newly opened Out back BBQ dining area with complimentary entertainment six nights a week.

We have rebuilt our boardwalk and viewing plat form and are officially open to view sunset and sunrise of the Canyon.

I sincerely apologise you were given the incorrect information upon arrival and I will be forwarding your relevant feedback onto our reservations department to improve our guest services.

Thanks very much for your feedback and hop you have an occasion to visit us again.

Reviewed April 23, 2013

I have heard that this "resort" has had 8 managers in about as many months. No surprise there. It is dilapidated, filthy dirty, ill equipped with indifferent, ignorant staff.

I can't ever remember staying anywhere, even in India, Peru or even Jordan that was that filthy. Our room had failed electric lights covered with duct tape, filthy floors, dirty towels, no effective airconditioning, no-where to hang clothes etc etc. It is low level backpacker accommodation at hotel rates. Much better to camp than stay here.

To escape, we went to the bar. I asked to recommend a local beer and was greeted with "I don't know anything about any of this stuff at all".

The location is fantastic.

Room Tip: camp down the road
1  Thank BgLon

Thank you for your feedback on Trip Advisor. We have only had two General Managers within 2.5 years however I am very disappointed in my team ignoring you as this is not the expectation of our customer service.

I am very confused as to why you were allocated a room which clearly displays from your review it was not cleaned and allocated incorrectly. I wish you would have come to reception where we would have investigated and arranged something for you promptly and I sincerely apologise to you for your experience that should not have occurred.

Thank you very much for letting me know about your experience at the bar when ordering a drink so I can address this with the Food and Beverage team in knowing their ‘local beers’.

I hope you have an occasion where you can visit us again where our services would have improved.

Kings Canyon Resort.

Reviewed April 14, 2013

If you are couple wanting a weekend away go elsewhere.. They closed the lovely Carmichaels restaurant down and now the only restaurant to dine in resembles a uni cafeteria. Overpriced with zero atmosphere.. Rooms offer no room service or mini bar... More like an overpriced motel- make it a day trip and stay at the rock instead!

1  Thank KimCaela
Katrina W, General Manager at Kings Canyon Resort, responded to this reviewResponded April 21, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on trip adviser. Yes we do have our Dessert Oaks Bistro available to our guests and from the 1st May will be opening up another dining experience called the Out Back BBQ where we will be providing complimentary live entertainment 6 nights a week.

I apologise for your experiences you had whilst staying at Kings Canyon Resort and your expectations were not met.

Kings Canyon Resort

Been to Kings Canyon Resort? Share your experiences!