“Camping ground and facilities are uncared for”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Kings Canyon
Reviewed April 10, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here in 2002 and remember it as a green oasis. Today it is a disgraceful example of mismanagement. Facilities have the usual out of order sign or even worse like the hand dryer nearly falling of the wall and not working. The BBQ areas are vile and shadeless. The grounds are a dust bowl with no attempt at watering, not even the plant at the entrance to the shop. Heavely overpriced even by remote standards and poorly stocked at that. Check in atthe mainresort reception was efficient and friendly by a trainee and supervisor. A shocking experience - stay away I say,

• Stayed: April 2013
1  Thank jvhensen
Katrina W, General Manager at Kings Canyon Resort, responded to this reviewResponded April 21, 2013

Thank you for your feedback.

Yes we do have out of order signs up on our facilities. We are doing one block a week as we are currently closing them down one by one and re renovating each block including a full paint job. Thank you for letting me know about the hand dryer so I can attend to it straight away. After all facilities are renovated more improvements will be addressed in the camp ground.

Thank you for your feedback on Trip Adviser and we hope you will see the changes made on your next visit.

Kings Canyon Resort

Write a ReviewReviews (1,718)

Reviewed April 9, 2013

Stayed here not long ago after a track across from W.A. Camping grounds were basic but clean and tidy, we had a shady spot which was good. Pool was ok and the kids used it a lot, the camping kitchens and toilets however didn't seem to be cleaned very often, my wife always took her own paper as there was never any in the cubicles, men's were ok buy needed a good clean as they had the dirty smell. Overall it was ok and would stay again.

Stayed: April 2013
Katrina W, General Manager at Kings Canyon Resort, responded to this reviewResponded April 14, 2013

Thanks for your feedback on Trip Adviser

I appreciate you informing me of the camping ground kitchens and toilets with toilet paper not being topped up. All our toilet and shower blocks in our campground are in the process of renovations, painting and cleaning.

We look forward to your return in the future seeing the improvements we have made.

Reviewed April 9, 2013

We stayed there for 1 night. Room was very clean. We had (3 People) enough space. Bath/shower was very well and clean too. Could not set any complaints. Check in/out without any problems. Helpful staff. Had dinner at the bar with Roadhouse atmosphere. Prices for food and drinks are quite remarkable. But we early realized this as a phenomenon of entire Australia as we came into the country some days ago. Ressort is located only 10 minutes far from the Canyon. Great. So we could sleep until 6:30 :-). Three years ago we slept in tents. Was an adventure and a nice experience - and much cheaper. But now, in comparison I ever would prefer the Resort.
Maybe I sometimes will climb the Canyon a third time - the Resort will see me again.

Karl B., Graz, Austria

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Karl B

Thanks for your feedback on Trip Adviser.

I am glad your room had enough space for 3 and it was very clean.

It’s nice to hear you enjoyed your stay at Kings Canyon Resort where you appreciated the Canyon not being too far away so you could have a sleep in.

Hope to welcome your return in the future

Reviewed April 5, 2013

We stayed in the resort for one night during our outback tour, as we wanted to be close to Kings Canyon. The room was very nice and clean (especially after we spent the nights before in some more adventurous hotels in the outback). Taking a shower in a clean and nice bathroom was very nice.

The life at the resort is very busy. It is clearly designed to handle masses rather than providing a quiet atmosphere. However it is an excellent starting point for a hike in the Kings Canyon (during hot seasons you need to start very early due to the heat and the resort is just 10 min away).

The restaurant is totally overpriced. The quality of the food was OK, but I ate the most expensive sandwich in my life. The atmosphere in the restaurant was more a work cafeteria experience rather than a romantic place.

I would stay there again for the Kings Canyon, which is a must see.

Room Tip: Great starting point for Kings Canyon (a must see).
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your feedback from your stay at Kings Canyon Resort.

It’s good to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and your room was nice and clean. Yes having the Canyon not far away is more enjoyable to do.

Thanks for your comments regarding your experience in the Out Back Bistro.

We hope you have an occasion to visit Kings Canyon Resort in the future.

Regards

Reviewed April 1, 2013

The value for money and service at Kings Canyon Resort, compared to Alice Springs and Uluru, is not brilliant. Even the non-budget accommodation is very basic. And even though the Resort can't help the impact of the wildlife, it's not reassuring to find a can of Moretine in your cupboard. There was only one place to eat (March/April 2013) with a second restaurant closed, and most of the food was pre-prepared and reheated, so not really wort the prices charged. There is no mobile phone reception and the internet is slow, which would either be delightful or frustrating depending on your situation. The place is due for an update/rennovation, and I look forward to seeing some improvements in the accomodation, linen, food etc. The staff worked hard to resolve any issues that we had, and I will give them credit for that. And when we looked out of the windo we saw the amazing desert landscape and mountains, so I can't really complain about that at all! Also the distance to Kings Canyon is quite short, so it is a very convenient place to stay.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for your feedback from your stay at Kings Canyon Resort.

Apologies for our customer service not at brilliant standard that it should be and I am very disappointed to hear your meal was pre-prepared and re heated and I will be seeing to this immediately with my Head Chef as to why this happened.

Our Outback BBQ venue and new menu will be open next month along with our entertainment 6 nights a week.

Looking forward to your next visit where you will see some more improvements.

Reviewed April 1, 2013

Stayed in a standard room at the resort. Check in staff seemed quite disinterested and it was a chore for them to talk to us. Our rooms were clean and roomy but very basic. For example, there is no welcome folder which tells you about the resort facilities, restaurant options, maps etc. For the price, perhaps free wireless could have been included. The resort pool is lovely and a good size however, staff from the resort were swimming in the pool both afternoons we were there. They also were drinking from glass bottles and playing music. I bought this to the attention of the staff on check out and I am waiting for a response. There was also no pool towels available when we went swimming so it would have been good if this was checked more often. The positives - restaurant and bar staff were really friendly, camp sites seemed to have green grass, and canyon walk is spectacular. There is another accommodation option - the Kings Creek Station if you are unsure.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your feedback during your stay at Kings Canyon.

I sincerely apologise with your meet and greet at reception being served by a disinterested staff member and I will be addressing this with the team immediately. As for the hotel guest swimming pool the staff knows this is off bounds and only for the guests and I will be addressing this in our team meeting. Thank you for your information regarding pool towels and more have been ordered and on their way.

We hope to see you in the near future.

Reviewed March 30, 2013

One of the previous reviewers has said that it is pretentiously entitled a resort and I completely agree. It is neither big enough, nor adequately provisioned to make it anything more than a glorified motel. On the whole, I was satisfied with the room, although the price is eye watering.

The good:
Large clean room
Average amenities, in spa room - toiletries, bathrobes, slippers, TV, spa bath with lovely views of the rocky outside.
Close to the Canyon itself
Food not too bad in quality or flavour, however massively limited choice and expensive.

The bad:
Tiny swimming pool - would not be adequate if everyone in the resort decided to go swimming. Also looked more like a pond that a pool!

Everything, literally every actual thing is hugely overpriced. A litre bottle of Mount Franklin water was $7.50. A steak and veggies for dinner, $40.

Since the fire in early January some things are closed with no evidence of them being fixed. I have just returned from the trip yesterday (30th March) so that's nearly three months with nothing done to resolve - the best example being the boardwalk to the sunrise and sunset viewing platform. This sounds very grand, but in reality, it was a boardwalk over the sand to a leveled off area which faces Carmichael Crag. So the resort staff tell you the whole thing is closed and to that end they have a tiny piece of orange plastic fencing preventing you from accidentally walking onto the frame of the boardwalk - you can walk around this and across the sand to the viewing area - as we found on the second night.

Additionally, the other nearby attraction Kathleen Springs - was also closed because of the fire - nothing to do with the resort itself but again, completely closed, even the road is closed off, so I cannot even tell you what you might be missing.

Something these days which seems more and more ridiculous is the lack of internet or mobile phone service. This goes about 20km outside Uluru - the only internet at Kings Canyon is via prepaid cards which use satellite internet - these cost $10 allegedly for 60 minutes - in reality I'd have been lucky to get more than 10 minutes from it.

Petrol at Kings Canyon is at 30th March 2012 $2.42 per litre - approx. 15c cheaper at Uluru.

The staff are pleasant enough but bored with their location and obviously new. A waiter at dinner revealed he had arrived only a few days before, the lady at the petrol station had started only last week. You get the feeling that people do not stay long and as such know little more about the location than you do.

Food in the.... restaurant? I struggle to know what to call it to be honest, was good but very limited in choice. 3 different types of steak, a duck bolognaise and a fish dish - this is essentially the same menu each night. Pizza also, but you have to search out the menu, they won't offer it by default.

In hindsight:
I have been to Uluru before and would have included Kings Canyon as a day trip from Uluru had I known then what i know now. The Canyon, scenery and environment are stunning, everything else, just an excuse to extract money. Car hire is also an outrageous rip off - look into pre-purchasing fuel if you can find that offered (Hertz from Ayers Rock airport did it, as I noticed when I dropped the car back to Avis :/).

Do the Canyon walk in the morning if you can - buy a fly net hat/face cover thing from the petrol station if you're bothered by flies. We never found them, but on day two the flies were becoming unbearable.

I won't be going back, it's a shame. The scenery is amazing, it would be great to go back and visit these sorts of places with the same sort of ease as any remote city. I don't mind paying a premium for things because of the distances they must travel to be supplied, but some things are just stupid.. such as petrol being cheaper than water, ridiculous.

Room Tip: I personally liked the spa room and the huge bath overlooking the rocks, I understand it's not a...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends

Thank you for your time in posting your views on Trip Adviser.

May I correct you a little with the two ticket items mentioned 1.5 liter mount Franklin water is $6.50 and the 300 grams of prime Australian scotch fillet is $34. We try our best with logistics in our produce, companies and transporting goods to Kings Canyon.

We have some great news and our boardwalk sunset viewing area that got burnt during our fire in January this year will be finished and opened within the next 2 weeks. The removing, clearing, re building and construction of works from scratch has been a big job and has come along really nicely ready for the 2013 season. All our new staff are starting to arrive for the season and training is commencing.

I am glad you enjoyed your Deluxe room whilst staying at Kings Canyon and I apologise for your trip not being as memorable as it should have been.

Kings Canyon Resort

Been to Kings Canyon Resort? Share your experiences!