“Peaceful”
Review of St. Anne's Church

St. Anne's Church
Reviewed August 14, 2014

A very famous church among Malaysian Catholics and even people from other faiths especially during the annual St Anne's festival. The timeline of the church's development is maintained well. From the hill behind the church, the old church and the new one. It has been around for a very long time with a long history. When we visited, there were some helpful guides to explain the history and the significance of the church. The design of the new church has some Minangkabau element incorporated in the architecture. Finally, there were coloured statues depicting the history of Jesus from his sentencing leading to his crucifixion around the church

1  Thank Hari86

Reviewed July 27, 2014

I first heard of St Anne's Church when I went home to Penang on the 7th July 2014. My younger brother Anthony died suddenly and unexpectedly on the morning of 6th July 2014. I then found out so much about my brother which I never knew before. I knew that he was baptised and became a very committed Catholic about 4 years ago after having been a staunch Taoist all his life. His life had been in turmoil for a long time and one day a friend suggested he should go to St Anne's Church in Bukit Mertajam. Taking his friend's advice, he went there. He went inside the old church, went on his knees and said to God, "for 50 years I have rejected you and everything to do with you. If you could show me a sign that you really exist, I will give the rest of my life serving you." At that point, Anthony was overwhelmed by God's love and he cried and cried and cried. That was the first time he ever cried in his life. As promised, Anthony gave his whole in serving God, doing God's work with the underprivileged, the poor and outcasts. I believe God called him home early because he had worked so hard for Him and it was time to rest. Even the parish priest, Fr Martin, said during the funeral Mass that Anthony had done more than his share in serving God. Anthony's conversion took place at St Anne's Church.
That was precisely the reason why I wanted to visit St Anne's Church. I had been to St Anne's Church in Holy Land twice but this one in Bukit Mertajam would be that extra special to me. That was the place my younger brother, Anthony, had his amazing conversion.
On Tuesday, 15th July 2014, I was taken there by my sister-in-law Magdalene, her friend Joan and Lilian. It was a fairly quiet afternoon and we went inside the old church. It was so special to me as I imagined how my brother Anthony was touched and overwhelmed by God's love. We lit candles, prayed and gave thanks for Anthony's life and though very sad to have lost him, I thanked God for calling him Home. He did not suffer. He had a shower that morning immediately before going Home.
We prayed the Stations of The Cross on the hill. Lilian was so moved to tears. Unfortunately I had to return to UK before the 26th July, St Anne's Feast Day. Having seen the thousands of pilgrims celebrating the Feast Day at St Anne's Church on you tube I now understand why it is such a special place.
This would certainly be a place of pilgrimage for me whenever I visit Penang again.

16  Thank JoolSuffolk
Reviewed June 24, 2014

A blessed pilgrimage for our family to give thanks to Jesus & St. Ann for the favours we have received. This is the time of the feast from 25th July to 3rd August 2014. A Chapel was built in 1846 by Fr. Couellan on the hill behind this Church. In 1888 Fr. F. P. Sorin built this Church. He died on 26 July 1907 & buried in the Aisle of this Church.

A great attraction to tens of thousand of from all over the country, Christians, Hindus, Buddhist & many others even from abroad never miss to attend year after year. There are limited rooms available for outstation visitors.

The new Church is also built with a beautiful architecture....you can view the photos and may the good Lord bless all those who are reading this be blessed. Love you all..

5  Thank maj0ra
Reviewed May 27, 2014

The landscape is well maintain and clean. I love the grassland in front of the church, it gives the sense of quietness and peaceful. It is an excellent place if you want to have a peaceful moment.

Go up to the hill behind the buildings will take a few minutes and you will enjoy the town view. But the insect and mosquitoes will chase you away.

2  Thank Ivylance
Reviewed December 3, 2013

St Anne's Church can be said to be the focus of Bukit Mertajam. People of different faiths in the region come here to petition St Anne, the Mother of Mary and Grandmother of Jesus. During her feast day, the town of Bukit Mertajam is jammed pack and hotels all full-up .
But if you visit at other times, it's peaceful and the little hill behind is cool, the water from the stream refreshing. The little old church on the hill is charming and lovingly maintained. There is also a bookshop selling religious books and items at reasonable prices.

7  Thank Kimandkhor