“Extensive menu sure to please many!”

Red Ochre Grill Restaurant Alice Springs
Ranked #16 of 94 Restaurants in Alice Springs
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Description: The Red Ochre Grill Restaurant Alice Springs is fully licensed with innovative & exciting dishes specialises in Australian seafood, Australian game meat, bush food and regional Australian cuisine. Dine in the vine covered courtyard or inside in air-conditioned comfort.The restaurant is tastefully decorated in the colours of the outback, featuring a gallery of world-class panoramic photos of Central Australia taken by Ken Duncan.The Red Ochre Grill Restaurant is situated in the heart of the Todd Mall is open 7 days 6.30am - 9pm for breakfast, lunch, dinner or for just a great cup of coffee. EARLY BIRD DINNER OFFER : 20% off your food dinner bill when dining in the Red Ochre Grill Courtyard. Must contact restaurant before 6pm. Courtyard reservations 6 to 6.45pm and order placed before 7pm. Not available on spilt bills, Sundays or Public Holidays. This discount may not be used in conjunction with any other offer. Closed Christmas Day.
NSW
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Extensive menu sure to please many!”
Reviewed April 24, 2013

I dined at the Red Ochre Grill three times during my stay. The menu items are a little pricey, but most of the food items I had were nice with great sauces using different Australian flavours. Barramundi cakes had a nice sauce but probably shouldn't order the prawn items on the entree menu. On my last night, I ordered the fettucine on the menu which was really nice and plentiful. However, the waitress took the order worng and was about to serve me the wrong fettucine. She apologised and said she had put the order in wrong. I said I wanted the one I ordered, so I had to wait another 15 -20 minutes for my meal. A small complimentary drink or something wouldn't have gone astray! Overall, the service is fairly good (as usual, some wait staff better than others)and a good place to eat some food with different flavours. Try and get there for the 20% off special, as it's worth it due to the expensive nature of some items.

• Visited April 2013
AuroraAliceSprings, General Manager at Red Ochre Grill Restaurant Alice Springs, responded to this review, April 27, 2013
"We are glad we made you SMILE"

Thank you for your comprehensive review. Yes, you were supposed to receive a complimentary drink while you had to wait for a new dish, sorry about that, we owe you one next time.

Kindest regards

Aberdeen
“Middle of the road”
Reviewed April 24, 2013

We decided to take the early bird special and the 4 of us had starters and then the T-bone steak. Starter was nice and the steak was cooked perfectly for me but another was a bit overdone but admittedly cooking steaks can be a hit or a miss at times. Next day at breakfast we arrived after time but the waitress kindly looked after us and ensured that we had something to eat. Overall the food was ok, the staff were very attentive and efficient. Would I tell other people to go there? Yes I would. As I said it is middle of the road but I have certainly eaten in far worse restaurants.

• Visited February 2013
AuroraAliceSprings, General Manager at Red Ochre Grill Restaurant Alice Springs, responded to this review, April 24, 2013
"We are glad we made you SMILE"

Thank you for your recommendation and also taking the time to write your review well after your visit in February, much appreciated and very pleasing to hear that the staff looked after your needs.

Kind regards

Red Ochre Grill Restaurant/ Aurora Alice Springs
“Terrible main !”
Reviewed April 22, 2013

Had a 3 course meal. Entree was nice. Main was t bone with mash and that's exactly what you got... Cold mashed potato with lumps all over the plate and a t bone chucked on top, no veg. Presentation was terrible and it was flavourless. Dessert was also ok. I've lived in Alice Springs, now live out of town and always to try, wish I hadn't of tried ! The wait staff were friendly but clue less. Brought our mains out while our dirty entree plates were still in front of us. We also got asked if we wanted to see the dessert menu when it was included in our package. Totally disappointed .

• Visited April 2013
AuroraAliceSprings, General Manager at Red Ochre Grill Restaurant Alice Springs, responded to this review, April 23, 2013
One again I find myself apologising.

Thank you bringing this to my attention and my sincere apologies, I am both embarrassed and disappointed that you had to endure this bad experience especially after the many months of satisfied customers great reviews, my how quickly things can change when your backs turned.

I am a stickler when it comes to dining out and expect both quality service and food for the money I pay. I know it's no excuse but I have just arrived back from leave to find some customers, as per the last few reviews, have not enjoyed the experience that The Red Ochre has previously been noted for and be rest assured immediate action has now been put in place to rectify this.

Please contact me personally on your next visit to Alice Springs as I would love you to dine FOC and experience The Red Ochre service and food as many others have.

PS. Experienced Food and Beverage staff looking for work in Alice Springs please contact me personally ASAP.

Sydney, Australia
“Go to Macca's instead”
Reviewed April 21, 2013

THe service was shocking. They obviously have a high turnover of wait staff due to the location, but that is no excuse not to train them up a bit. The waiters didn't have any answers to questions about the menu...i ended up giving the answers the table next to us was asking. Seriously!! they didn't know the difference between descriptions and ingredients on the menu (i'm an ex- fine dining waitress and i have little patience for incompetence, especially then you are paying the pricing they charged). The quality of the food was disappointing. The focus seemed to be on the meat, making sure that was cooked and flavoured well, but all sides were not up to scratch. The mash potato was watery and flavourless, the greens were undercooked. The dessert we ordered was the cheese cake as it had 2 native ingredients. Firstly, the forgot to add the wattle seed (which was rectified after we enquired) but the cream was that instant stuff out of a can! seriously? charging $13 and you can't even serve it with real cream? The table next to us had ordered the cheese cake and recommended it to us, so we ordered it. We were given the worlds smallest portion (we had seen the size given to the other table, we had about a third of it). The table on the other side of us also ordered the cheese cake after us and had to wait half an hour to be given a strange concoction of cream, wafer and there may have been a little cheese mix somewhere there...If a kitchen runs out of a menu item, simply tell the patrons, dont try to cover it up, it looks worse!!
Thank fully we had a $20 off voucher as we stayed at the hotel, even after that it was still not worth the cost. Honestly the worse restaurant experience i've ever had....Considering they have a good track record on trip advisor i'm am surprised that they have let this happen. They obviously don't rely on return customers, for no-one who ate there on friday night would be coming back!

• Visited April 2013
AuroraAliceSprings, General Manager at Red Ochre Grill Restaurant Alice Springs, responded to this review, April 22, 2013
Thank you bringing this to my attention and my sincere apologies, I am both embarrassed and disappointed that you had to endure this bad experience.

I am a stickler when it comes to dining out and expect both quality service and food for the money I pay. I know it's no excuse but I have just arrived back from leave to find some customers have not enjoyed the experience what The Red Ochre has previously been noted for and be rest assured immediate action will be put in place to rectify this.

Please contact me personally if you have specific details that may help my investigation into the unexpected downturn in both service and quality of food.

San Francisco, California
“Unbelievably poor service, average food”
Reviewed April 19, 2013

We took advantage of the 'early bird' special for dinner. The waitperson hovered over the table waiting for our order even though we said we weren't ready. The food arrived, it was average, and then we never saw her again. About 30 minutes later, we waved down another waitperson who was socializing over near the kitchen area with the cooks -- he told us our waitress ' shift had ended and she was gone. Fine -- but does that mean nobody else waits on our table?! We ordered dessert and he went to get it, but came back, telling us that the kitchen was closed = no dessert. What? it was 5:45 p.m.! Have never experienced anything like it, and hope I never do again.