“Good local place”

Red Ochre Grill Restaurant Alice Springs
Ranked #17 of 92 Restaurants in Alice Springs
Cuisines: Australian
Good for: Local cuisine, Business meetings, Kids, Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Brunch, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: The Red Ochre Grill Restaurant Alice Springs is fully licensed with innovative & exciting dishes specialises in Australian seafood, Australian game meat, bush food and regional Australian cuisine. Dine in the vine covered courtyard or inside in air-conditioned comfort.The restaurant is tastefully decorated in the colours of the outback, featuring a gallery of world-class panoramic photos of Central Australia taken by Ken Duncan.The Red Ochre Grill Restaurant is situated in the heart of the Todd Mall is open 7 days 6.30am - 9pm for breakfast, lunch, dinner or for just a great cup of coffee. EARLY BIRD DINNER OFFER : 20% off your food dinner bill when dining in the Red Ochre Grill Courtyard. Must contact restaurant before 6pm. Courtyard reservations 6 to 6.45pm and order placed before 7pm. Not available on spilt bills, Sundays or Public Holidays. This discount may not be used in conjunction with any other offer. Closed Christmas Day.
Monroe, Louisiana
“Good local place”
Reviewed August 6, 2011

Waitress was from Pennsylvania. Husband works as a "Gardner" at the American station there. She was lively and seemed happy to be there
Nice little place on Todd St. Our friend sampled someone the local beer.
It was clean. We were there somewhat after lunch hr but we
were served had either a salad or fish, or pizza Can't remember. But I had no complaints
Alice Springs has an outpost atmosphere This not Paris and I hope it never is. If you want a
Real feel of being on the edge
cuvilation Thisnis it

AuroraAliceSprings, General Manager at Red Ochre Grill Restaurant Alice Springs, responded to this review, August 8, 2011
"We hope we made you SMILE"

Thank you for your review, it's great that you have taken the time to write a positive response, much appreciated by my hard working Restaurant Staff.

I love your explanation of Alice Springs "If you want a real feel of being on the edge civilization, this is it"

Red Ochre Grill/ Aurora Alice Springs

alice springs
“Shocking”
Reviewed August 6, 2011

If I could give it zero points I would. Like previous reviewers we sat in the restaurant only to be ignored by the wait staff for over ten minutes. Then they gave us a menu and didnt come back over to us. After another ten minutes we got up and left. The staff seem a bit pre occupied with each other to bother about service. Shame because Alice doesn't have much choice when it comes to restaurants.

AuroraAliceSprings, General Manager at Red Ochre Grill Restaurant Alice Springs, responded to this review, August 7, 2011
Thank you for raising your concern, but to put things in perspective regarding our busy restaurant we constantly have walk-ins expecting immediate service, even guests that walk in and disregard the "Wait to be seated" sign and just seat themselves.

Not saying that this was in your case but on busy nights guests may be overlooked if they seat themselves.

How busy are we? Well Friday 5th July, Saturday 6th July & Sunday 7th July we averaged 145 patrons for diner each night, 80 patrons for lunch each day, we received back 134 in- house Restaurant Surveys of which all but 3 enjoyed their service & meals and would recommend us.
We strive to satisfy all our patrons but on the rare occasions like with you there are hiccups.
I have an extremely hard working team and disagree with your comment that "The staff seem a bit pre occupied with each other to bother about service"; they are too busy for that.

I am completely satisfied from our daily in-house patron surveys that we are delivering the service and food that patrons expect from The Red Ochre Grill, just sorry that you didn't participate in this experience.

I am also satisfied that the few bad comments we get on TripAdvisor are not a true overall indication of what most patrons feed back to us, as I said of the hundreds of Restaurant Surveys returned to us on a daily basis they suggest that we are delivering to the best of our ability.

Please, bookings are essential.

Regards

Alice springs
“Excellent food and friendly service”
Reviewed August 4, 2011

Relaxed setting with great food selection friendly service and fully explained daily specials

• Visited August 2011
"We hope we made you SMILE"

Thank you for highlighting our "Excellent food and friendly service" Also as you mentioned we do have daily lunch specials to add a variation to our lunch menu which is available from 10am - 5pm.

San Francisco
“Terribly disorganized, no food to be had”
Reviewed August 4, 2011

I stayed at the associated hotel (the Aurora), the front desk dutifully recommended Red Ochre for dinner. Lively, nice looking place. I was seated quickly, though taking my order took some time. Seated in front of the kitchen, I then had lots of time to grow actively uncomfortable at the tension between the lead chef and the waitstaff. Numerous tables were impatiently waiting, being served incorrect orders, etc.

To skip to the end, after over 45 minutes I stood up still hungry, told the maitre d' and my waitress that this was the worst dining experience I could remember having, and left.

What went wrong? An antagonistic chef, disorganized waiters who never bothered to check on me, to apologize for the delays, or to rectify the problem. The food may be good-- I'll never know. I went across the street to have a less fancy but very satisfying dinner at Sporties.

• Visited August 2011
AuroraAliceSprings, General Manager at Red Ochre Grill Restaurant Alice Springs, responded to this review, August 4, 2011
Thank you for alerting me of your bad restaurant experience, I certainly understand how frustrated you must have felt and I offer my apologies.

I would have much preferred if you had bought this to my attention when you checked out from Aurora Alice Springs instead of me having to read about your unfortunate experience on Tripadvisor.

We are a busy popular restaurant and it disappoints me that on this occasion that we have not delivered what we promise in customer service with our "We hope we make you SMILE" campaign

Regards

Bendigo, Australia
“A stand out. Would do well in ANYcapital city”
Reviewed July 28, 2011

We had a great experience at Red Ochre and the staff made all the difference. The manager worked tirelessly to ensure the staff met her expectations and the front of house staff seemed to appreciate the attention and also worked well. The Chef and his kitchen did a great job in my view for a full dining room with IRD orders too.

This place has been around for a while and it certainly presents very well (sit inside though at this time of year). We dined as a group of six adults and five children and almost everyone was impressed with the food.

The kids menus had good sized serves of pasta (which to the kids delight was served with chips) and the game plate, (or feral meat tasting plate including camel, roo, barra and croc) was really well presented and well cooked. I would love to see some more imagination when cooking camel which is one of my favourite meats but that’s not a complaint. The “roo on its own” dish (served to another table) looked like a seriously large serve with masses of pumpkin? mash but I suspect you would tire of it before the end.

Our ladies were very disappointed with their chicken breast option which was very basic with an onion gravy but everything else including the pavlova was nicely done. The absolute winner was the lamb shank pie. An awesome feed, a whole shank topped with great puff pastry, yommy gravy and sides.

The restaurant was recommended by long term locals and I can see why.

A highlight.
Visited 12 July 2011

• Visited July 2011
AuroraAliceSprings, General Manager at Red Ochre Grill Restaurant Alice Springs, responded to this review, July 29, 2011
"We hope we made you SMILE"

Thank you for taking the time to write a review regarding your experience, much appreciated by all the staff.

It sounds like your group tried a good cross selection of our menu and overall, (that’s your whole cricket side) enjoyed what they eat and mentioned The Red Ochre as a highlight of your holiday.

Ron Thynne