“Cannot recommend....”

Alice On Todd Apartments
Reviewed April 2, 2013

We stayed at Alice on Todd while in Alice Springs on our travels through Australia.

We arrived before the posted closing time of 5PM but the office was locked up, no one around and our key was left in the box.

I am amazed at the positive reviews. This apartment was so dirty if this had not been a holiday weekend we would have gone elsewhere and cancelled the payment with our credit card. We travel a lot and we have never walked into a hotel room or apartment this dirty.

This place seriously needs to be exterminated. There were spiders on the dining room wall, spider webs in window corners. Ants all over the kitchen counter and a live roach in the bed. We sprayed for the bugs. We did not have any food in the apartment, so we had nothing to entice the bugs.

The bathroom sink does not drain.

I doubt if the floors have been thoroughly mopped in a very long time. Dirty apartment.

Room Tip: Find somewhere else.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
AliceonTodd, Manager at Alice On Todd Apartments, responded to this reviewResponded April 9, 2013

We were sorry to hear that our apartment standard did not meet your expectations as we receive very consistent reviews commenting on the comfortable beds, cleanliness, value and service we provide.
When I was assisting your husband with his personal computer problems he didn't mention any issues as was the case when Mark went to your apartment to fix your personal computer problems.
As your stay was with us for three nights I am concerned these issues frustrated you to the point of writing to Trip advisor but not to the point of taking the opportunity to speak with myself or Mark as we would much rather resolve the concern promptly than have it continue for the rest of your stay.

Regarding your comments about ants we are in the outback and unfortunately ants and other insects can be problem be depending on the time of year. That is why insect spray is supplied in all of our apartments.
Mark and I wish you well with the rest of your journey and hope you enjoy the rest of your Australian adventure

Reviewed March 1, 2013

I stayed at Alice on Todd for two nights and found it to be a warm and comfortable visit. And that's how I thought of it - as a visit with friends I'd never met before. From the time I called to make a reservation, hosts Karen and Mark and the rest of the staff were kind, helpful and did everything to make my stay enjoyable.

For example, Karen's advice about what to do in Alice was superb. When I asked how best to get to Uluru she told me about Emu Tours with whom I had the best one-day tour I've ever had. We went to Uluru and Kata-Tjuta with a pick-up at 6am and drop-off at midnight and the entire day was as Karen said it would be -- a reasonably priced, down-to-earth but superior experience in every way. Karen also pointed me toward the Arulean Art Center where I saw the best exhibit of Aboriginal art I've ever seen.

So as a hostess Karen was spot on - and also charming, kind and nice, as were the rest of the staff and Karen's husband, Mark. The facilities at Alice on Todd were also perfect for what I needed as a single traveler: a reasonably priced, comfortable, clean and safe place with a washer, wifi and cooking facilities. The apartment had all that and more - a small but complete kitchen, nice patio (with clothesline!), FREE WIFI (so many don't in Australia), great bed, big-screen tv, shared washing machine -- plus a crystal clear pool and spa surrounded by blooming shrubs and bougainvilla.

I would definitely stay at Alice on Todd again as a single, but I think it would be especially good for families or couples who might have a car with them since parking is provided with each apartment and your car sits conveniently next to your apartment.

Overall, my stay was a treat. The only possible drawback to Alice on Todd is that town center is a 15-20 minute walk - fine going in, but sometimes too much coming home. However, Karen to the rescue - again. She gave me the name and number of a private car and driver who was very reasonable, nice and extremely accommodating. It was much cheaper and easier for me as an American driver than renting a car for a day or two - he took me wherever I wanted to go.

So I would have to say it's not much of a drawback being a bit outside of town - Alice Springs is interesting, but there isn't much to see in the town center. The art center and other places I went were not right in town, but a little further out. My location also allowed me to see areas of Alice that others might not, to be a part of the community for a few days.

Overall, my 3-day visit to Alice Springs was wonderful - in great part to Karen and her staff and to staying at Alice on Todd, where they all work. Thanks all!

Jane Johnston Chicago, Illinois, USA

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank janjohnston
Reviewed January 8, 2013

The party consisted of my wife, her daughter, her father and I. After nearly three days driving in searing heat, it was a pleasure to arrive at reception to be greeted with a smile and told: "I have already been to your room and turned on the air conditioner."

The two bedroom apartment was spacious - a huge living area - clean and satisfactorily furnished. With a gas stove and microwave and medium size fridge, we were well set up to look after ourselves. Each bedroom and the living area had an air conditioner so we were able to keep cool in the 43 degree heat. The beds had good mattresses, even the double sofa bed (daughter slept there) and we all slept well.

The part which blew us away was the effort by receptionist (Teresa) who enquired about our plans in the area and upon hearing we were visiting Hermannsburg Mission, told us that it was closed until February (as was the Central Australian Museum). My father-in-law had travelled from South Africa and we had driven to Alice specifically to see those two attractions.

On hearing that, she made at least half a dozen phone calls to see if at least Hermannsburg could be opened for us. Finally, she found someone who could help. This wonderful lady, who could have left us to swing in the breeze, went the extra mile to assist us. As a result, my father-in-law (a retired Lutheran missionary from Germany and employed by the Hermannsburg Mission Society) was able to fulfill a long held dream to visit all three Hermannsburgs.

One can also walk to the Lutheran Church over the road, where bi-lingual services are held in English and one of six Aboriginal languages.

So we had a wonderful stay at Alice on Todd and it is recommended for the reasons above. And I also recommend you visit Hermannsburg Historic Precinct. While there, drop in at the General Store ('Bottom Store') run by the good folk from the Finke River Mission.

Room Tip: Try for a room on the first floor at the end of the property which provides a balcony overlooking th...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank duncanmacster
Reviewed January 6, 2013

Large airy apartment, well appointed. Very nice pool. Location rather far from amenities in the intense heat. Shop attached to garage nearby had very little in the way of food for breakfast or any other meal but restaurant nearby was good. very helpful staff.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 6, 2013

I stay at AOT 3-4 times a year. The last trip i stayed in one of the New one bedroom apartments that are close to the reception, after a long day working in Tennant Creek than driving to Alice I was glad to check in. New Funky style room, clean, all aircons are quiet and work wonderful.
Comfy bed and a nice big bathroom with a shower that feels like rain, nice & relaxing.
Kitchen well equipped, instant hot water in the apartment. Check in is easy with friendly staff, wireless internet worked well from this location. Will be back again in January 2013.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed January 4, 2013

I stay at AOT every time I'm in Alice Springs and I always find it a pleasant place to be.

The staff are always friendly and helpful, the rooms always clean and contain everything you need.

Beds are comfy, downstairs apartments have nice little yards and lots of clothes lines around to hang your clothes out, instead of using a dryer. Washers easily accesible.

Free wifi, value for money!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed December 31, 2012

4 of us stayed in a 2 bedroom apartment for 2 nights on Christmas and Boxing day. Staff are very friendly and helpful. Location is fine if you have a car, which we did. Apartments are are quite comfortable and kitchen is well equipped. The pool is quite small, but we didn't even use it. We would stay here again if we come back to Alice Springs.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends