“Ordinary hotel in Alice”

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Alice Springs
Ranked #4 of 13 Hotels in Alice Springs
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed November 1, 2013

Recently under management of Hilton, name changed. Paid for room advertised as view of pool and garden - in reality, allocated a room with a view of nothing but a brown brick wall. Beds hard, cheap mattresses. Tired furniture, in need of refurbishment, not just a name change.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank seekingMevlevi
CF-ASPDA, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Alice Springs, responded to this reviewResponded November 4, 2013

Dear Seekingmasnavi,

Thanks for taking the time to leave some feedback. I am sorry that you were disappointed with the view from your room. We do have some upgrades and refurbishments currently under way, with lots more planned for the future. I do hope we will have an opportunity to welcome you back and make it a better experience for you.

Clinton Farley

Write a ReviewReviews (1,617)

Reviewed October 29, 2013

We stayed at this hotel for 5 nights in Oct 2013. The room was pleasant and roomy, if a little dated, particularly the bathroom. It was quiet enough but could hear doors slamming and trolleys in the corridor. The phone in the room had incorrect numbers on it, and the in-room guide had a lot of outdated information.The pool area is definitley in need of maintenance with loose tiles evident. The spa pool was out of order, as was the sauna. The staff were friendly and very helpful and professional but with only 2 people on the front desk, and no concierge, there was usually a wait for service. The breakfast buffet was good, and Hanumans restaurant is outstanding. The hotel bar had no draft beer and all drinks are expensive. Plenty of free parking which is good. Be aware that the hotel is some distance from the town centre, with a marginal taxi service - when we arrived there were people waiting for 30 min or more for a cab. Walking is quicker - but pretty tiring when it is 38 degrees. We had a car so not a problem for us.
A lot of negative stuff there but despite that we enjoyed our stay. The hotel was adequate for our needs, it just needs some money spent.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
CF-ASPDA, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Alice Springs, responded to this reviewResponded October 30, 2013

Dear ShaneC60,

Thanks for taking some time to leave a review here on TripAdvisor. I am happy that, overall, you enjoyed your stay with us. We are currently in the last phases of re-opening our pool bar and giving the outside a bit of a face-lift. If your travels bring you back this way, it would be great for you to stop in and check out the upgrades!

Thanks again, and please know that your concerns have been followed up.

Yours Sincerely,

Reviewed October 29, 2013

I had high hopes for this hotel, which were very quickly dashed. First of all, the hotel is located on the outskirts of town--although it is within walking distance of the casino, if that is your thing, it is a $10-11 cab ride to get to the town center, which is quite inconvenient. I knew I was in trouble when I arrived at the hotel and was told I had a "garden-view" hotel room, only to find that my room overlooked a patch of red dirt with some struggling patches of grass. The room at first seemed mostly clean, although there was a urine stain on the toilet seat that was a bit surprising to see in a DoubleTree hotel. The room and bed were comfortable. The really horrific experience of my two night stay came on my day of departure. I woke up and noticed small ants crawling on the desk and along one wall (probably about 6 of them). I was a little grossed out, but still left to go have breakfast. By the time I came back, I found DOZENS of ants crawling along EVERY wall of the room--it looked like an ant hill had exploded. Before people object, I should mention that I had absolutely no food or drinks whatsoever in the room. I quickly packed up my bags (praying that there were no "stowaways") and checked out of the hotel a few hours earlier than planned, reporting this infestation on check out. I have no way of knowing if they dealt with it or not afterward, but I was sufficiently grossed out. I can't recommend this hotel, although I will say the hotel restaurant (Hanuman) is a passable indian/thai restaurant.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank DoctorWHK

Dear DoctorWHK,

Thanks for your review. I am sorry that you experienced some difficulties with ants in your room. Our very dry and remote location in the desert does expose us and the surrounding areas to ants and various other insects. We do have an aggressive pest control program in place which we find generally keeps pests at bay.

Again, we really appreciate the feedback and please be assured it has been investigated by our maintenance team.

Yours Sincerely,

Reviewed October 29, 2013

Doubletree is average accommodation and over priced for what you get. They missed some basic things and got our room wrong. The whole place is in need of a good face lift! Some staff were great, most average.

Dear Sam T,

Thanks for taking a moment to leave a review. Among our top priorities is that our guests feel welcomed, comfortable, and that their needs are being attended to. I am very sorry that there were some details that were unattended to.

Please be assured that your feedback has been well received and will be followed up.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed October 28, 2013

Got this hotel via lastminute.com.au. But got really disappointed when I got there. We got the service of the price we paid, not Hilton style. The rooms they have allocated for the mystery deal is the furthest you can have, you walk for probably 10 minutes to get there from the reception and it faces the carpark. Even though you may request King Bed, it seems only double beds are available. Asked front desk for the possibility to change rooms for king bed but they said because it was lastminute that was they had for us. I just got a bit disappointed because it was a special night for us. Anyway... the highlight was of course, the cookie they give you on check-in. That was to die for!!!

Dear Hanna R,

Thanks for taking a few moments to leave a review. And thanks also for taking some time to speak with my assistant to get this matter sorted out.

Sometimes the requested room configuration comes in from our partner websites at the very last minute and we have already sold out of the requested room. Still, I am sorry that you were disappointed.

I do hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back at some stage.

Reviewed October 28, 2013

Had a comfortable 2 night stay.We arrived from the Ghan at 10am and were delighted to be able to get in to our room straight away. We wanted to keep the room until 12 when we left, but were charged $25 per hour for this, which I felt was a bit much
The room was large, with a pleasant view over the golf course. Good quality linen and towels, very comfortable beds, well equipped bathroom
Had breakfast included in our package, and it was OK with a good choice of hot and cold. Took ages to get my decaf coffee though.
Hotel quite a long walk from the main town, but it was very quiet so I think situation was fine
Swimming pool large and well maintained.

Dear Levoyageur,

Thanks for taking a moment to leave a review here on TripAdvisor. I am thrilled that you had a comfortable stay and found the facilities and surroundings to be up to your standards. And what a great experience to take a trip on the Ghan!

Our hotel has a standard 12:00 noon check out time so I am not sure what happened with the charge, but if you would like my assistant to look into it further, please do not hesitate to contact the hotel and we will be happy to sort that out for you.

Thanks again and I hope to welcome you back sometime in the future.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed October 28, 2013

It was good to be able to make a booking before hand and arrive to find that everything was taken care of. This would be about the fourth time that I have stayed and each time has been of an excellent standard thank you

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business

Dear John J,

Thank you very much for leaving this short and sweet review of your stay! We appreciate you being a loyal guest and I am delighted to hear that each of your stays have been comfortable and enjoyable for you.

We look forward to welcoming you back when you are in town next time.