“It's surprising that the tour boasts about its guides-”

Mulgas Adventure Tour
More attraction details
Owner description: Mulgas Adventures offers day packages throughout Central Australia, visiting Uluru, Kata Tjuta, Kings Canyon, Darwin, Alice Springs and surrounds.We also do hiking tours through the highlights of the West Macdonnell ranges
Reviewed May 1, 2013

The one thing that sets this tour aside form the others, apparently, it that it only uses Australian tour guides.
WHO CARES?
They will ALL definitely tell you the same stories, to the extent that we all saw each other from various tour groups at every single stop on every single walk. They all cost exactly, penny by penny the same amount (don't be fooled by "cheaper" prices, they are more when park fees are included). The only screaming DIFFERENCE is that everyone else seemed to be having a good time on their tours, while we were standing forever in the relentless sun being told about our guides favorite trees
and plants
and rocks
and plants
and trees.
Don't get me wrong, I am more for nature than the average monkey/non-nature-jo, and actually had a great deal of questions about the surroundings. Yet these were brutally knocked down, criticised or ignored by my guide, while he instead of informing us of things on the drive (kept his headphones on while driving instead), felt the need to tell us in the middle of the out-back, peak heat. No shade. Repeatedly.
I highly advise against this tour in comparison to the others for this reason, as the other groups were swanning around happily, almost mocking those in my group who were gasping or fighting for shade under the few trees etc.
My tour guide also felt the need to confrontationally ask if the vegetarian food is "good enough", after insisting despite protests from multiple people, to cook the vegetarian food on the hot plate that has just hosted infinite kangaroo fat and camel meat. Clearly, he was just kindly trying to share the food experience that he was most familiar with, how kind.

6  Thank kittentravels
AnniesPlace M, Manager at Mulgas Adventure Tour, responded to this reviewResponded May 16, 2013

Thanks for your review. Firstly we use Experienced Australian tour guides because most people want an authentic experience when they come to the red centre. If i travelled to another country i'm sure i would prefer a local guide. It is a guided tour so i'm sorry if the guide wanted to give you information about the local flora and fauna but most people want to learn these things on the walks. If you come to outback Australia at this time of year you will encounter hot weather. Our guides will keep hydrated and look after you as much as possible but to see everything out here properly you need to spend some time in the sun. I have been assured by the guide as well as other passengers on the tour that your food was cooked seperately to the meat. I'm sure we cater to vegetarians much better than any other tour company and am surprised at your complaints. You also stayed at the hostel for a following four days and did not discuss any issues about the tour during this time which i am quite surprised at if you had such a bad time. I have contacted other members of this tour and the feedback from them is completely the opposite.

Jason

in 19 reviews
"food was great"
in 15 reviews

Reviewed April 30, 2013

I just returned from a two day trip to Uluru on a Mulgas tour - would highly recommend not only to backpackers but anyone under the age of 35. Angus our tour guide was amazing - very knowledgable of the area but also lots of fun and accomodating to everyone in our mixed group. I only went on a two day tour, whilst this is shorter than the usual three day tour, Angus still managed to bring us to all the main attractions.. and we spent a night under the stars :-)

There was LOADS of food provided, too much to eat! So if you're looking for value for money this is the tour to go with, other tours don't give you any food.

Trip was finished off with a great night at Annie's and Angus even shouted us a drink (or ten)

Overall - a must do. You won't find better than Mulgas!

AnniesPlace M, Manager at Mulgas Adventure Tour, responded to this reviewResponded May 19, 2013

Hi Fiona

Thank you for your review. Angus is a great guide and i am glad you enjoyed your tour. Enjoy the rest of your travels in Australia

cheers

Jason

Tour Manager

Reviewed April 28, 2013

Mulgas laid on a two day tour for us instead of the standard three day due to flight commitments. The tour guide, Angus, was an absolute gentleman. Very laid back and accommodating, but quite informative at the same time. They make a great effort to get the whole group involved and acquainted without forcing you on one and other.

If I was doing it again, I would definitely do it over three days. The two day trip meant a lot of kilometers in a short space of time and we were unable to fit the canyon in. It was late nights and early mornings which was quite tiring but worth it. I reckon it would feel less rushed over three days and I would have loved a second night in the swags. It would also give you a better chance to get to know your fellow travelers. Al in all, I would highly recommend Mulgas to anyone going to Alice. We didn't stay in Annie's but I kind of wish we had. From our short visit it seems like a great little hostel to party in.

Reviewed April 21, 2013

This trip is education, adventure, best views ever and the best fun ever!!!
Our tourguide was Steven. You just walking around in a big screensaver. We couldn't believe our eyes. The food is good. The champagne by sunset is even better. Sleeping by the campfire in the swag and looking to the stars surrounded by nature. Beautiful experience.

1  Thank Amadeo_and-Tineke
See more reviews
Reviewed April 8, 2013

My brother and I went out to Alice Springs specifically to do Mulga's Adventure Tour because a friend had recommended it. As we just missed out on Tiger starting flights to Alice we spent a lot of money on this trip and were nervous it wouldn't deliver. However, after a weird afternoon in Alice we set off early the next day on the tour and it was brilliant. Our tour guide, Angus, had amazing knowledge of Aboriginal culture, geology and bush medicine and was also a lovely guy to chat to. It's definitely a trip for people who don't mind slumming it and getting stuck into swag bag camping, long hot walks and amazing scenery. The food was AMAZING. And there was lots of it. Great value for money.