“Cute place, nice helpful staff”

Alice Lodge Backpackers
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Cute place, nice helpful staff”
Reviewed August 15, 2012

We stayed at Alice Lodge before and after an Outback camping trip. All of the services were great, from free pick-up to luggage store to enabling us to get in late when our Outback trip ran into a snag. The gentlemen at reception were very helpful and friendly.

The 4-share room is smallish, but fine for the price. Walking into town at night feels a bit deserted, but it's really not far and we didn't run into any problems. The common areas are very handy, too, from the laundry to the internet/TV room. The cheeky signs are fun but also informative.

A nice stay and definitely suited our needs!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank missalg

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
New Zealand
Reviewed August 4, 2012

We had a double and twin two nights then again one more later. On our first visit we were in the retro campers surrounding the courtyard. These were well kept and comfortable. On our second visit we were in the main building, also very good rooms. Rooms have a fridge. The bathrooms were clean as was the kitchen. It was a huge bonus to have free wifi, especially since there was not cell phone coverage out of town. Free breakfast was strictly managed and not generous. It it is nice to have free tea & coffee and a clean well equipped kitchen. It is a safe, economical and friendly place to stay we highly recommend it to the budget traveller.
Office is closed in the afternoon until 4.30pm so don't rush to check in earlier.

Room Tip: the pool pump was loud at night, rooms near this were louder
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Raupo
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed July 10, 2012

This review is long overdue, I stayed here in December 2011 and what a fabulous time I had.

Great place to stay. Close to everything, less than 10 minute walk to town and tourist attractions. I stayed here for 5 nights (2 nights then 3 nights) and got to know staff pretty well. Great facilities, clean and free breakfast from 4am. Yes, 4am! I highly recommend if you do intend to stay in Alice. It was one of the cheaper hostels in the area and one of the best in my opinion.

PJ, don't worry about what other people are saying about you. I found you lovely and very helpful considering my luggage didn't arrive with me when I came and you found me the next day when it was delivered.

The only negative (if it was even a negative) was the aircon shut off on one of the days and it soared to something like 35degrees -- but it moved me to the pool and the main area where I met some great people.

Room Tip: I chose a smaller room so it was very secluded and not noisy as it was away from the main area. It w...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
2 Thank SnadraMae
wirral
Reviewed May 29, 2012

We stayed in Alice Lodge in April for 2 nights. The rooms are basic but we found them clean and tidy. The signs we found very amusing and the free airport pick up was a nice touch.
We would highly recommend Alice lodge to anyone wanting a Hostel in Alice which is clean an cheap.

P.S I had 4 slices of bread with extra helpings of butter. And my wife lost a cotton bud in the washing machine.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank matthew h
Perth, Australia
Reviewed May 19, 2012

I didnt get picked up from the airport, and the owner seems to hate everybody, even though sometimes he manages to fake a smile. If you take more than 2 slices of bred, they tell you they will pretty much hang you and the toilets and rooms were way to dirty!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
Alicelodge, Owner at Alice Lodge Backpackers, responded to this review, May 23, 2012
Well Jacob,

I'd first like to point out that there is no possible way to not to avail of the pick-up from the airport, our shuttle is operated by the Alice Springs airport shuttle who are contracted to meet every flight into Alice Springs.
I apologies if you got the impression that I was "angry with the everyone", I can only assumme you stayed in Mid February when I was sick, I had a virus called Shigella and it took the doctors 3 weeks to figure out what was wrong with me, unfortunately due to the fact that I manage Alice Lodge on a daily basis with one other staff member, it meant I had to work when I was exhausted, I wasnt angry just wasn't my usual easy going self. Again it wasnt my intention to give off the impression I was angry.
As for the rest of your comments, as a hostel we do not have the same standard as a Motel or Hotel, as a business person that you listed you were on Tripadvisor, I think you maybe haven't stayed at a backpackers before as this is your first review on tripadvisor. Also we have checked our records thoroughly for any Jacob who may have stayed this year and we have have no person under that name,

The 2 reviews before your don't suggest that our rooms and facilities are'nt dirty, we endeavour to keep a clean hostel at all times.

PJ Bedford
Info@alicelodge.com.au
Frankfurt, Germany
Reviewed May 16, 2012

We spent some days in a double (which was a caravan in the back of the yard) and we really enjoyed our stay before and after the trip to Uluru. We had to shift the booked trip for one day because of a health problem and everybody was really helpfull and flexible to change the booking dates althoug it was fully booked. I enjoyed the garden, the free breakfast, and the quiet surrounding. I found it a perfect place to start and end the 3 days Uluru trip. It is a Backpackers not a five star accomodation, the caravan was clean (ok, they could repair the the drawer of the commode), had a fridge, was lockable and quiet. The showers could be a bit cleaner, as it looks after the cleaning the same as before (the use of a brush would solve that). All together, thumb up!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank eksnek
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 1, 2012

Basic room – Bed, fridge, heater, and chest of drawers

Friendly atmosphere

Free airport pick up

Free wifi usage (one ticket per person)

Free breakfast between 5am and 9am – Cereal and Toast

$5 per person for a lift to the Ghan train station

Free luggage storage available if you are going on a 3day tour to Uluru. Have to be dropped off by 6.30pm the previous night

Free day luggage store available

$1 to hire a towel

4 showers and 3 toilets

Gated premises with an access code to gain entry

Walking distance to the town centre. Advisable to get a taxi once dark. Roughly $8 one way.

Room Tip: One overlooking the road at the front of the property
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank LKPAA25
Alicelodge, Owner at Alice Lodge Backpackers, responded to this review, May 15, 2012
G'day LKPAA25,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a reply on Tripadvisor.

Your review is a pretty candid reflection of Alice Lodge backpackers as a whole.

Wishing you safe travels