“the best choice in town (if you prefer budget travel)”

The Desert Rose Inn
Ranked #9 of 10 Alice Springs B&B and Inns
Reviewed July 22, 2010

I was looking for cheap single room. Desert Rose was, no doubt, best option. Hotel is simple, rooms aren't big. But in my room was: TV, fridge, elctric kettle and shower. Staff is very friendly, they call airport transfer service for me. Bus to the airport forgot about me, so hotel manager pick me up to the airport by his own car.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled solo
There are newer reviews for The Desert Rose Inn

Reviewed January 18, 2010

We had booked in here for three nights but left a few hours after arriving and for $20 more found a MUCH better room at the Aurora.
We had booked a double room with ensuite and were given a room by the pool. the room was small with no privacy as the wall facing the pool was all glass - if you closed the curtains you were in a dingy box. The only chair in the room had cracked and split vinyl and the vanity bench in the ensuite was cracked and peeling. Everything was dingy and dirty - I've stayed in a variety of places over the years bit this is the first one I've walked out on.
The people running the place however were very pleasant and helpful - but it would have ruined my experience in central Australia to have stayed here!

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 8, 2009

I stayed at the Desert Rose for 2 nights in Dec 09 and couldn't figure out why after the 1st night I had so many inflammed large bites all over my whole body. The next day I saw a strange looking bug crawling on top of my toiletries bag. I have never encountered a bed bug before so I looked it up on the internet and sure enough it was a bed bug.

The rooms are not clean and the bedding looked as though it may not have been changed. Oddly enough at this hotel there is a shower in your room but not a toilet. It is possibly the strangest hotel setup I have been to. The staff is very kind and helpful but overall this place is a cheap, budget hotel that has bed bugs. I will not ever go back to this hotel and feel it is something important for fellow travellers to know about while researching hotels.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 29, 2009

This place was just great. They had really great rooms for the price we paid. Huge common area with couches, FREE internet, great kitchen, free luggage storage, and laundry area. The rooms weren't anything too special but were way nicer than most hostel stays. The best thing about the Desert Rose were the people in charge of running it. They were extremely kind and went above and beyond in helping us out with any problem we encountered. I loved the Desert Rose Inn!!

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 7, 2009

It didn't look like our stay would start very well when we came to check in and we were told that there was no room for us. Apparently the people staying in 'our' room decided to join a group from Melbourne Uni going on a trip thereby overstaying their booking. I was very impressed when the owner(?) had instead booked us in at "The Diplomat" at no extra cost to us.

We had however booked 2 other nights there too. We stayed in room #37 (I think) which was the last in the row of rooms outside the carpark/pool. It could possibly be noisy when it's warmer & people use the pool but it was very quiet when we stayed.

The room was basic but perfectly adequate & at $75 a night it was an absolute bargain for the "red centre". We paid more than that in all other places for the same or worse standard - at least here you weren't 'forced' to eat there because it was the only place to eat.

The location is good - it is central, a short walk to shops, restaurants & pubs but with hardly any traffic unlike other places. Keep in mind that double glazing barely exists in Australia so even a little bit of traffic can be very noisy.

There was internet too usually a queue to use it but it was free so I thought it was a great touch.

At that price - I would stay there again.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 27, 2009

The motel is good value for Alice Springs, and a good location, but the rooms are only basic and probably below average even for a budget motel. They have both ensuite rooms (with a bathroom, which I had) but also cheaper rooms that have shared bathrooms. I had a comfortable stay and the room was satisfactory, but the Comfort Inn which I stayed at earlier had nicer rooms/facilities for even cheaper.

The room was clean and there is daily service. There is a shared kitchen and lounge area for more serious cooking, like a hostel. The motel is located about 5 minutes walk from the downtown and major grocery stores (Coles, Woolworths) which is convenient for shopping. The good location was a big factor for me.

Outside my ground level room was the parking lot, and with sliding entry door facing the parking lot there is just about no privacy (close the curtains tight!). The sliding door also doesn't latch and lock very securely. On the other hand, there are nice patio tables located outside the rooms so it is quite pleasant to sit outside your room.

The bathroom was in good order, though rather ugly and old. In May (start of winter) the bathroom got very cold. But it was functional and clean.

The bed, and room overall were comfortable. The room isn't large but has all the basics. Reception closes quite early, 7 pm, so don't be arriving late.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled solo
Reviewed April 2, 2009

We stayed here for two nights. Coming from the dump we had stayed at in Darwin, this place seemed almost luxurious. The furnishings are a bit outdated but the room was clean and we had our own shower and fridge in the room. The toilets are shared and any room key opens the door, which could be a security threat. I am female and never encountered anyone else in the washroom day or middle of the night. The kitchen is large and well stocked with dishes and pans etc and is kept clean. There is a swimming pool, but it was too cold when we were there for us to try it out. This place is a good value and the desk clerk was helpful to us.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled as a couple