“Terrible”

Aurora Alice Springs
Ranked #6 of 13 Hotels in Alice Springs
Reviewed January 8, 2014 via mobile

When arrived took for ever for a room to be organized plus the customer service was terrible. We didn,t even get a choice in the room we wanted. We paid $100 for a crap room in a crap location not happy. U pay less for places with a view and get a free breakfast. Will never recommend or stay again Then in the car park there was grossness I can't even explain how gross. Then the room shower head wouldn't even stay up. All taps leaked. No blankets on the bed. Not happy at all.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank kylie1187
AuroraAliceSprings, General Manager at Aurora Alice Springs, responded to this reviewResponded January 9, 2014

Well, where do I start as I have no record of your complaints and accusations at all?

I normally apologise to constructive criticism but after a lengthy investigation of your toilet review out of left field and not in line with most of our guests experiences I am dumfounded to come up with an explanation.

I may be incorrect in the following explanation so I am only surmising that your partner or husband made a reservation via lastminute.com.au late Tuesday afternoon, not long before arriving at our reception at 4.14pm. On arrival the booking had not been allotted a room so my front office manager asked your partner/husband to take a seat while we printed out the reservation and then organised the check in. This was all completed by 4.18pm (4 minutes) so maybe this is not you as you mentioned it took forever for a room?

We advertise on the web site you booked on many room options but you selected a standard room that does not include breakfast for $99, so I don’t understand what you mean by “we didn’t even get a choice in the room we wanted” as you could have picked any room you wanted when making your reservation on line and if the room allotted to you on checking in was not satisfactory you could have advised one of my team and they would have allotted you another standard room.

Not sure about the grossness in the carpark you refer to as it is only a carpark where cars park and sleep and is cleaned daily, also where we store our bins etc that are also collected daily.

We have checked what we think was the room in question and found no leaking taps or any problem with the shower head, and as per the photos on our web site all our rooms are triple sheeting with no blanket during summer but a blanket is placed on beds in winter.

Like I said this may not be your review but what the heck, I have replied anyway.

Have a great 2014,

Regards

Ron Thynne – General Manager
Alice Springs NT

Write a ReviewReviews (1,055)

Reviewed January 3, 2014

I had the good fortune to stay at the Aurora Hotel in Alice during the 2013 Beaniefest of which the hotel is a sponsor. It was wonderful to stay in for it's great location between the Todd River and the Mall. I could wander under the trees in the dry river in the mornings and get wonderful photos.

The Beaniefest held in late June, out at the Araluen Cultural Centre, is the most fantastic fibrously textile event you have ever seen.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Viridian_Arts
AuroraAliceSprings, General Manager at Aurora Alice Springs, responded to this reviewResponded January 7, 2014

"We are glad we made you SMILE"

Thank you for the 5 star rating and even though it was way back in June you stayed, for still remembering your experience with us.

Hope to see you again next year

Reviewed December 29, 2013

I enjoy this hotel, and have stayed many times when visiting family in Alice. My very comfortable room was at the front of the hotel, with a lovely view over the Todd River. You cannot beat the location for comfort and convenience - close to shops, restaurants and the Todd. Only draw back was the noise from the street due to buses frequently delivering or picking up passengers staying at the hotel (often at first light) as well as garbage trucks (again at first light), and general traffic. But this is the only negative. I will return again, and often.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo

"We are glad we made you SMILE"

Thank you also for your regular patronage, much appreciated.

It is unusual to have sound complaints from our Executive rooms as they are fitted with sound proof glass doors but must be sealed correctly for this to be effective.

Please ask one my team to check you room next time to insure the glass doors are sealing correctly as I know how inconvenient noise can be.

Reviewed December 19, 2013

I have had to travel to Alice Springs for work and this was my fifth stay at this hotel. The location is perfect for me as our office is located just a few minutes away from the hotel and you can walk there either by exiting through the restaurant and walking along the Mall or by walking along Leichardt Terrace.
This time I was booked into a smaller room and the air conditioning had a bit of a struggle cooling the room at first. (It was a very hot day). The bathroom blocks the airflow to the beds but it cooled enough for a good night's sleep. Beds are comfortable but the pillows are a bit flat. There is plenty of tea, coffee, milk and biscuits on hand.
On my last stay I recommended to the receptionist that the bathroom door be cleaned as it was covered with grubby finger marks. Unfortunately, this room also needs the same attention, but I forgot to point it out to the receptionist.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business

"We are glad we made you SMILE"

Thank you for your review and regular patronage.

I have addressed the bathroom problem with my housekeeping team, thank you for bringing this to my attention.

Reviewed December 15, 2013

We arrived late afternoon and left at stupid o'clock the next morning so didn't have much time here but the reception was very friendly, room was clean and spacious, the beds comfy. The hotel is right on the mall so convenient for local shops but AS is not the most welcoming of places after dark so we ventured only as far a Woolworth to get something for breakfast. The local police were busy clearing a group from the mall so we returned to the hotel restaurant for dinner.
We sat indoors for dinner as it was so hot. Dinner was OK but the Lamb Shank pie was mostly vegetables and bone. Decide to sit in the courtyard for an after dinner drink but put off by the things crawling the walls (well we are in the red center I guess).

Room Tip: Would recommend upstairs. Outside our room on the first floor level was a courtyard with free powere...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
AuroraAliceSprings, General Manager at Aurora Alice Springs, responded to this reviewResponded December 18, 2013

"We are glad we made you SMILE"

Thank you for your review of our property and glad you noticed the great job our local police are doing in making your stay in Alice a safe place to visit.

Unfortunately the police have no control over the little critters that entertained you in our outside courtyard at The Red Ochre.

Reviewed December 14, 2013 via mobile

Aurora Alice Springs is conveniently located in Todd Mall within a few minutes walk to restaurants, supermarkets and amenities. The front desk is efficient and attended to our requests promptly. We booked a standard room but did not like it as it just next to the laundry room. The front desk upgraded us to a deluxe room without hesitation. The deluxe room is spacious and the beds comfortable

Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple

"We are glad we made you SMILE"

Thank you for the review, glad you enjoyed your stay with us.

Reviewed December 13, 2013

Very good remembrance of Hotel Aurora where we spent two nights during a three weeks tour of Australia from Perth to Sydney.
Service very efficient and friendly, good room, free internet.
Excellent location in the town.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple

"We are glad we made you SMILE"

Thank you for your review, it's pleasing that you enjoyed both the Red Ochre and Aurora Alice Springs.

Red Ochre Grill Restaurant/Aurora Alice Springs