“Fine and welcoming”

Ranked #8 of 13 Hotels in Alice Springs
Montpellier, France
“Fine and welcoming”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 13, 2013

Very good remembrance of Hotel Aurora where we spent two nights during a three weeks tour of Australia from Perth to Sydney.
Service very efficient and friendly, good room, free internet.
Excellent location in the town.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
AuroraAliceSprings, General Manager at Aurora Alice Springs, responded to this review, December 18, 2013
"We are glad we made you SMILE"

Thank you for your review, it's pleasing that you enjoyed both the Red Ochre and Aurora Alice Springs.

Merry Christmas & Happy New Year

Red Ochre Grill Restaurant/Aurora Alice Springs
Alice Springs NT

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (153)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
East Dean,Chichester United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 5, 2013

This is a funny little hotel! The lay out is quite unusual, and this sets up my review! We checked after driving up from Uluru, so a long drive. The young lady that checked us in was very good at tapping away at the computer , but maybe needs to read the bit again about communicating with customers! "Here's your key, room 207, lift behind you!". Ok! Well could we find the lift? Back we come feeling like amateurs to ask again. "just there! Through the door!". Ah, through the door! Might have forgotten to tell us that bit! So we go through the door! A lift sign on the wall in the courtyard takes us right! Then left! And towards the garage! Really? Yup. There it is folks! Room was very nice if a little crowded. We travel as a couple and from what I could see, most of the rooms on our level were made up for a family of four. Clean and comfortable though and a really good shower which was a relief after Uluru! We wanted to eat in the Red Ochre restaurant attached to the hotel as it had been recommended and remembered seeing a sign for it as we got in the lift. So we went back and then had to walk through the hotel underground car park to access the restaurant! This is quite unusual! I have stayed in many hotels and can't remember that one before! Next day I went back to reception to ask about Internet and thank goodness for James because I think had we got Miss Few Words, we might have just left! Where do we have breakfast? Is there a pool? Any free Internet or do we have to pay, my ongoing gripe with Aussie hotels! James told me everything I should have been told at check in and more. He really couldn't have been more helpful and should have a management position and train some of the others maybe! Red Ochre is great by the way. Very reasonably priced and great staff that really make an effort. Would I stay there again? Only if James was around!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
AuroraAliceSprings, General Manager at Aurora Alice Springs, responded to this review, December 8, 2013
"We are glad we made you SMILE"

Thank you for the review and 4 star rating.

Mine is like yours, a funny little reply but I hope not as condescending as you appear to be towards one of my staff. While I understand you may have been a little disorientated after your long drive from Uluru and having originally placed this review under our restaurant section; I am sure my receptionist would have giving you clear directions on how to get to the lift by following the 5 clear directional Lift signs.

I am a little bemused as to why you came down the stairs passing two restaurant signs and entered the restaurant through our carpark (as this is not the normal entrance) as just to the right of your room 207 is a HUGE sign with directions to the Mall & restaurant. Anyhow you seemed to have made it safely and enjoyed your Red Ochre experience.

The young receptionist you referred to has now left us to care for her ill father and has not been her usual self; I am sure you would be of Few Words in the same circumstances. I am extremely proud of all my staff in the service they provide as indicated by all previous Tripadvisor reviews.

I have passed on your praises to our Trainee James and would hope that even if James was no longer with us you would return again.

Boy, I hope you had as much fun in writing your review as I did in writing my response while watching the test match cricket.

Sandwich, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 27, 2013

Stayed here 2 nights in November. As most people have said, rooms are clean and comfortable but outdated. Location is good. Breakfast was not included in our room rate, so went across the mall where there are a couple of reasonably priced cafés. Staff friendly and helpful, particularly considering that most guests are just passing through Alice. Restaurant serves enormous portions of food which seems rather wasteful to us, but good quality.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
AuroraAliceSprings, General Manager at Aurora Alice Springs, responded to this review, December 1, 2013
"We are glad we made you SMILE.

Yes, a good night’s sleep is the most important part of a holiday so happy we could oblige. Our breakfast is only $19 for an "ALL YOU CAN EAT BUFFET" but as you mentioned you found our dinner meals a little on the large size so maybe breakfast would have been the same.

We do offer smaller serves on our 3 course dinner special.

Ron Thynne - general Manager
Blackburn, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 24, 2013

We arrived early but were accommodated immediately. The room was clean and pleasant and we loved the shaded seating area just outside our room. All staff were pleasant and helpful - both those on reception and housekeeping staff. It was great to be right in the centre of town.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
"We are glad we made you SMILE"

Thank you for not only the review but also the photo.

I have passed your comments onto reception and housekeeping.

Aurora Alice Springs/Red Ochre Grill restaurant
Geelong
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 22, 2013

Staff were friendly from the moment we arrived (accommodating our early arrival) and remained friendly and approachable throughout our entire stay. The hotel is in the hub of the center making it a very attractive location. My only suggestion would be to warm the pool by installing solar heating as the pool was incredibly 'icy' cold which was disappointing because it looks so inviting (this was the view held by everyone I spoke to staying at Aurora) and resulted in us having to go to the local pool in town for a swim instead. The adjoining Red Ochre restaurant with its vast and tasty menu was definitely a highlight! Great food and lovely responsive staff (special mention to the cooks Chris and Toby and the lovely waitress, Jodi)

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
AuroraAliceSprings, General Manager at Aurora Alice Springs, responded to this review, November 23, 2013
"We are glad we made you SMILE"

Thank you for the kind review and positive praises for my team, we love feedback that our guests had an enjoyable stay.
Also I have passed your review onto Chris, Jodi and Toby, they and the rest of the team certainly all try to make everyone SMILE. If you would really like to feed Chris, Jodi & Toby's egos they have suggested that maybe you would like to write a separate review for The Red Ochre Grill Restaurant if you have not already done one?

Aurora Alice Springs/ Red Ochre Grill Restaurant
Sunshine Coast
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 19, 2013

As the accommodation recently booked for me in Alice Springs was unsuitable, I made a last minute booking at reception. Thank goodness Peggy and Iwi were on that day. They could not have been more accommodating and helpful! They were both on shift during my week stay and continued to be helpful throughout my week.
I regularly visit Alice Springs and now know where I will be staying each time I do!
Thanks ladies.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
AuroraAliceSprings, General Manager at Aurora Alice Springs, responded to this review, November 21, 2013
"We are glad we made you SMILE"

Peggy and Iwi are ecstatic that you have mentioned their names; yes they are amazing together with all my team. Peggy is the front office manager and Iwi duty manager so you certainly had the heavy guns look after you.

I thank you for now choosing to use us next time you are in Alice.

Olympia, WA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 18, 2013

Arrived before the check in time, but were allowed to check in early. We were also given a room upgrade which meant that we got complimentary Wifi. Upon entering the room, there was a sulfur smell to the room. However, this seemed to disappear after we turned on the air conditioner. The room had a queen bed and a twin bed, shower, hair dryer, ironing board, refrigerator, TV (with limited channels) and a desk. Lighting in the bathroom was excellent. There is a lift/elevator available. However, you do have to walk outside and around several corners to get to the lift. Entry to the room is through a sliding glass door. Your room key will also allow you to enter the hotel from the Red Ochre Restaurant which is located on Todd Mall, behind the hotel. The people at the check-in desk of the hotel were very helpful in finding tours and booking them for us.

"We are glad we made you SMILE"

Thank you for the review; sorry about the musty smell on arriving into your room but glad it dispersed quickly.