“Poor service”

Ranked #9 of 13 Hotels in Alice Springs
Sydney, Canada
“Poor service”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 17, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here for three nights, and found the hotel to be lacking in comfort and service for the price they charge. Very poor service from the restaurant staff. The bed was so wobbly I had to place a folded up newspaper beneath the legs to keep it from moving all night. Once that was set the bed was comfortable, and I was able to sleep. The room was very clean, as was the bathroom. When I booked I was told there was wi-fi Internet, but there was not. The staff blamed the local phone company. When I was given a $2 coin to use the net kiosk, I was able to get online for twenty minutes, however the connection was so slow I was only able to send 2 emails, read a couple more, and then my time was up. The system was so old it would not even load sites such as Facebook, and would lock up and close whatever window you might have opened, and you would lose anything you may have typed. I also asked for a late checkout on my final day, as I was flying out late afternoon, but this could not be accommodated at all. Finally after checking out, I had to use the restroom, and went to the public restroom on the second floor, upstairs from the main desk. It was disgustingly dirty and smelly, and this was at 10:30 in the morning. Had I seen this earlier in my trip I would never have risked eating in the restaurant, because a bathroom is a lot easier to clean than a kitchen.

Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank ChefFredMurphy
AuroraAliceSprings, General Manager at Aurora Alice Springs, responded to this review, April 22, 2013
Thank you bringing this to my attention and my sincere apologies, I am both embarrassed and disappointed that you had to endure this bad experience both in accommodation and the restaurant.

I am a stickler when it comes to my accommodation and dining out and expect both quality service and food for the money I pay. I know it's no excuse but I have just arrived back from leave to find some customers have not enjoyed the experience what The Red Ochre has previously been noted for and be rest assured immediate action will be put in place to rectify this.

Please contact me personally if you have specific details that may help my investigation into the unexpected downturn in both service and quality of food.

Yours sincerely

Red Ochre Grill Restaurant/Aurora Alice Springs
Alice Springs NT

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (153)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Brisbane
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 11, 2013

Lovely hotel centrally located backing onto Todd Mall. It has a lovely foyer, and also those nice little extras in the room like a hair dryer, body cream, and an iron and ironing board. All the ladies at reception were all very helpful and friendly. The rooms were clean and I stayed 3 nights around touring, and I never had a problem with any room. You get complimentary 1 hour wifi also. My only complaint, is I think the rooms were a little pricey.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
"We are glad we made you SMILE"

Thank you for your review re your three night stay. I will pass on your comments to my staff.

I am not sure what you may have paid but we do have special accommodation rates via the Tripadvisor site, worth a look.

Canberra, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2013

This hotel is superbly located right in the middle of Todd Street Mall in Alice Springs. All the main town facilities are on the doorstep, including banks,post office, restaurants,pubs, tourist outlets, and shops. Even the major Woolworth supermarket is a two minute walk. I have stayed at this hotel a number of times in the last two years. The reception staff are always friendly and efficient. The rooms are spacious for the price, and well serviced. The restaurant serves a good breakfast, and the scones served with the devonshire tea are excellent when they are available. Dinner tends to be a little bit pricey, but the menu is imaginative with some excellent local dishes. Early bird bookings for dinner can provide great value for money.
If you are travelling by car particularly in the high-season, it is very important to keep in mind that on-site parking is quite limited. Alternative parking is along the Todd River, where security at night can be a problem. Apart from this small drawback, a great place to stay.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank w0rld_traveller888
"We are glad we made you SMILE"

Thank you for your very comprehensive review, I am sure this will be very helpful to the readers.

Yes, we do have limited undercover parking but do endeavour to accommodate most vehicles, we suggest that higher than normal vehicles see our reception staff re parking in our driveway.

Beijing, China
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 5, 2013

We used the Auroa as the start and end point for our Outback tour. The hotel is practical, rooms are clean and serve its purpose. However I would not recommend it for a longer stay, as the flair of the rooms is cold and not really cozy. Also the bathroom is rather functional (however clean).
There is a restaurant in the hotel on the ground floor and they serve breakfast for the hotel guests. The quality of the breakfast is OK, but not outstanding (e.g. fruits are out of cans, coffee out of large thermos bottles).

We stayed there 2 times for one night and it was a good starting point for our tour.

Staff at the reception was nice and friendly.

Room Tip: Good starting point for a outback tour
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
"We are glad we made you SMILE"

Thank you for your review and yes as you mentioned we are perfect spot for guests that are visiting Uluru before and after their visit. I am not sure what standard of room you selected but we have various standards of which some of these would be more suitable for longer stays.

Crafers, South Australia, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 3, 2013

Staff are pleasant but the phone didn't work in the room so mobile needed to contact reception, no iron in the room and the replacement didn't work either so a long wait to get an iron that worked. Qantas has them listed as providing points on spend but this is not correct, they do not. The pool needs some work/freshening up. Food at the Red Ochre restaurant for breakfast and evening meals was excellent, security issues are covered by a back door entrance/exit that links straight through to the hotel so don't be worried about MuccaPooleDorsets offsite security remarks - it's covered!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
"We are glad we made you SMILE"

Thank you for your review and I will raise the little issues you experienced with the staff concerned and also pass on your praises.

Hong Kong
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 1, 2013

We changed our plan and did last minutes booking at Aurora.

Out of my expectation, the room was spacious, clean and with everything you need. The mini bar service different type of tea plus some cookie. The restaurant downstairs was perfect. We had dinner and breakfast there and it never let us down. The mall just downstairs and you can easy get what you want.

There was a little noisy out there from the birds but not affect our sleep.

I will recommend this hotel if you plan to visit Alice Spring.

Room Tip: Delux room with breakfast and only spent a little bit more.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
AuroraAliceSprings, General Manager at Aurora Alice Springs, responded to this review, April 2, 2013
"We are glad we made you SMILE"

Thank you for your kind recommendation together with the room tip of Deluxe room with breakfast, much appreciated.

Wollongong, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 29, 2013

This motel is right in the centre of Alice Springs. It was comfortable and not too expensive. The staff were welcoming and friendly. I took advantage of the fact that it is associated with the Red Ochre restaurant, and had dinner and the buffet breakfast there. (See reviews.) The dinner was OK (not enough dessert for the price), but I was very favourably impressed by the buffet breakfast.

I took the airport shuttle from and to the airport: eficient, and good value.

I would happily go back to the Aurora, and would take my wife with me.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
"We are glad we made you SMILE"

Thank you for your review, very kind.

We have investigated your comment re dessert and it appears that you received a 3 course set menu size, not a full big portion that you should have received; my apologies’.