“Very interesting centre to visit.”

Alice Springs Telegraph Station Historical Reserve
Book In Advance
More Info
$11.18*
and up
Alice Springs Telegraph Station Entry and Tour
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Located within the Alice Springs Telegraph Station Historical Reserve, the Telegraph Station is the birthplace of the Alice Springs township. Is is an excellent value and must see destination to add to your itinerary while visiting the Northern Territory, and situated 4km north of the Town Centre, is easily accessible for a visit. The Alice Springs Telegraph Station Historical Reserve marks the original site of the first European settlement in Alice Springs. Established in 1871 to relay messages between Darwin and Adelaide and also linking with an underwater cable network to London. Consequently creating the first real communication between Australia and England. Time your visit with one of our 4 daily guided tours (included in the price of your entry). The guided tours will immerse you in the history of the Telegraph Station and the township. Most noteworthy, you will learn about how this monumental innovation that connected Australia to the rest of the World!
Useful Information: Activities for older children, Food available for purchase, Stroller parking, Bathroom facilities, Activities for young children
Reviewed February 5, 2014

As part of our half day tour we visited this area. Despite the 44c heat it was extremely interesting and informative visit giving one a sense of the history of Alice Springs. A "must-do " when in Alice Springs.

There are newer reviews for Alice Springs Telegraph Station Historical Reserve

Reviewed February 5, 2014

The telegraph station reminded my a little of the remaining Pony Express stations in The U.S.A. It's vital local history but very much yesteryear. It's a way out of city center. My actual visit was April 1995.

Reviewed January 26, 2014

Definitely worth a visit if you're in Alice. It's a very well documented and well preserved museum. You can start here and visit the School of the Air as well as the Royal Flying doctors. It should take you a couple of hours.

Reviewed January 24, 2014

The first thing I did after checking into my hotel was walk down to the Telegraph Station Reserve. Even the walk, with its empty river, was an interesting taste of the outback. The reserve itself is home to lots of wildlife and several walking trails. The staff on hand when I was there were friendly and very knowledgeable about not just the Station and related history, but the town and even local tour companies. When I mentioned the other places I wanted to see that afternoon, he even offered to drive me there to ensure I made it before it closed.

As it was, I spent so much time exploring the museum exhibits and enjoying the walking trails that I wouldn't have made it anyway.

If you see nothing else in town, make sure you spend time here. Bring a picnic lunch and make an afternoon of it!

Reviewed January 21, 2014

Not much else to see. Time and money better spent outside of Alice Springs. Our experience at the Chifley hotel really made us wish we had gone elsewhere.