“View of life past”

Aboriginal Australia Culture Centre
More attraction details
Owner description: Learn to play a didjeridu, throw a spear or boomerang and get a real feel for the Aboriginal culture and music at this fascinating gallery.
Surrey, Canada
63 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 78 helpful votes
“View of life past”
Reviewed April 2, 2012

It was interesting but had the inevitable gift shop and cafe, worth a stop off but not much more.

Visited March 2012

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
Alice Springs, Northern Territory, Australia
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“dream time culture.”
Reviewed March 22, 2012

have your knowledge of this old country enlightened.by a race of people deep in traditional ways and beliefs.food gathering,bringing up babies,traditional wars.marriage,ownership,hunting,walkabouts.stories of the stars,rivers,hills trees nature.

Leicestershire
49 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 63 helpful votes
“A 'must do'.”
Reviewed March 14, 2012

Wide choice of gifts, art, etc. and lots of information available about the beliefs, history, etc. of the Aboriginal peoples. Everything is very well displayed and the artists do benefit from having their authentic work on sale here. Well worth a visit.

Visited February 2012
Melbourne, Australia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Evasive and inadequate answers to legitimate questions.”
Reviewed January 30, 2012

I would like to relate my experiences, which were not good. I browsed the shop, and then asked what percentage of the art price goes to the artist. I was told that it depended on the artist. Fair enough. I then selected some pieces which I liked, which were clearly marked with the artist's name and a barcode. I then asked again, what percentage of price goes to the artist. The staff member acted offended that I had even asked, and then stated that he had already answered the question. When I pointed out that he had not, he said that they get that question all the time. I then asked why he didn't have an adequate answer if this was the case. Then I asked if he could even provide a ballpark figure. He said that he didn't know the commission percentage, and again acted offended that I had asked the question. I stated that I thought it was a legitimate question, given documented, widespread rorting of aboriginal artists. Not once did I even get close to an adequate answer to a legitimate question. Instead I was treated rudely for asking the question. If a hardware store can have an inventory system that tracks every single bolt in the store, an art store can have a system where we can be assured that the artist is not being cheated. The pieces were already barcoded; all that's required is a barcode reader (standard on all smartphones) and an excel spreadsheet. Further research has revealed that this shop is not a signatory to the Aboriginal Art code of conduct. Until this store can provide adequate answers to legitimate questions, I would suggest avoiding it and instead patronising stores where you can be assured that everybody in the supply chain gets a reasonable deal. I am happy to remove this negative review if the store can provide some reasonable answers.

Visited January 2012
9 Thank Dan647
suburban Boston, MA
111 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 170 helpful votes
“Excellent set of small museums - really worth the time”
Reviewed December 19, 2011

This center includes the Royal Flying Doctors Service, an art museum and gift store and a natural history museum. All are excellent and I really recommend spending an hour or two here. It is also on your way to the West MacDonnell Range.

Visited November 2011