“Not bad but could do better.”

Ibis Styles Alice Springs Oasis
Ranked #13 of 13 Hotels in Alice Springs
Reviewed February 19, 2013

Have just returned (Feb 2013) from staying a total of 5 nights at the Ibis Styles Alice Springs Oasis.

On arriving at the hotel - we noticed that numerous locals, were sat around the grounds and large groups of children were playing in the pools. (Only noticed this on one day, however)

Receptionist - cheerful, welcoming and informative, on arrival. Free hot beverages in the reception area.

Room (1) A twin room - Double and single bed. The room was a little dark and facing onto the main road. The lock on the sliding door to our balcony, gave cause for concern, as it was very flimsily constructed and left a half inch gap, even when closed. Room (2) Overlooking one of the pools. Brighter but with a balcony that also ran past other residents rooms. Both rooms had adequate fridges and decent TV programme selection but no in-room safe and each appeared to have weary air-con systems, lacking decent performance. We had closed our curtains on two occasions but returned to find our curtains fully open and the room feeling like a sauna - which then took an age to cool down, due to the under-performing air-con.

The single bed/ s (stayed in two separate rooms) were very 'jelly-like' to sleep on and not firm.

Rooms, seemingly not cleaned/changed on a regular basis but new towels regularly provided.

The swimming pools, both showed lack of maintenance and contained leaves and street debris.

However - despite these 'failings', we still had an enjoyable time. The staff in all areas, esp, the breakfast lounge and bar area, were very pleasant and cheerful on approach and the meals we bought were all excellent and reasonably priced. One downside, was that the bar area, on a Wed evening, was 'taken over' by a group of pool teams. We enjoy the occasional game of pool - so this was a bit of a let down.

The hotel, itself, is very handily located, with the town centre being a 10-15 minute stroll away.

If push came to shove - I would stay here again but I would hope that comments made are noted and acted upon. After a day trudging around in the outback - it would have been nice to return to a debris- free pool, to cool down. Sadly, that experience wasn't as enjoyable as it could have been.

This hotel, has bags of potential - and just needs certain things being tweaked, here and there.

Room Tip: We found the upstairs room, overlooking the pool, to have the best views.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
All_Seasons_GM, General Manager at Ibis Styles Alice Springs Oasis, responded to this reviewResponded February 20, 2013

Thanks very much for taking the time to provide such a detailed review.

I appreciate your comments regarding the areas where we need to keep improving - we are listening and continually working to build our consistency in room preparation.

I'm delighted that you found our team to be pleasant and cheerful, and the food is also getting good reviews from guests.

Regarding the other guests at the hotel, it seems that your visit coincided with a major football event in town (Richmond Football Club vs the AFL Indigenous Allstars) and this event brought in many guests from the surrounding areas - as you mention, it was just for a day. With the pool tables, as part of our Community Engagement Program, we sponsor two pool teams and this was the night that they were playing each other -- not usually the case.

Thanks again for your review, and we do hope to see you back again.

There are newer reviews for Ibis Styles Alice Springs Oasis

Reviewed February 15, 2013

Currently I am staying in this hotel since 6th Feb 2013 and plan to leave the place tomorrow

1) Poor room service - one day my room wasn't even cleaned; used towels/cups not changed, room not vacuumed. I had to ask front reception to clean the Room and the cleaner just brought new towel and left. Also within 10days, I don't think room toilet floor and toilet mirror has been cleaned at all. Stains very clearly visible and smells

Pillow cases/ Bed sheet - don't expect to be changed unless you ask. I had to write a note ask cleaners to change them

2) Continental breakfast - simple but enough as a compliment meal.

3) Location - yes it is close to everything but majority of hotels/motels but all hotels/motels in Alice Springs are close to main part of town (I mean Youth Hostel is right at the centre of Alice Springs)

Overall 2 out 5 stars
Only reason I stayed here (or I should say "staying") was because it was organised/paid by my company.

I recommend if you are paying $100/day, you might as well pay extra get proper service e.g. Crowne Plaza

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Adam C
All_Seasons_GM, General Manager at Ibis Styles Alice Springs Oasis, responded to this reviewResponded February 18, 2013

Dear Dr Cho,

Thank you for your review.

Please accept my apologies for our shortfall in servicing your room during your recent stay. The information you have provided will certainly assist us in the development of our housekeeping team's consistency, which is very important to us.

I am concerned that these issues frustrated you to this point, and hope that in the future you may take the opportunity to speak with me at hotel where I will be able to take immediate action to rectify the situation. I would much rather resolve the concern promptly than have it continue for the rest of your stay.

Thank you, again, for the review, and please feel free to contact me directly if I can be of any further assistance.

Reviewed February 12, 2013

1. Photos make the hotel look heaps nicer than it actually is, the place needs major work to be deemed 'modern looking' as it really is a 'budget looking' hotel.
2.Overall appearance of room was dark and dirty.
3. Carpet was ripped up in one section of the room.
4. Mould/dirt in the bathroom.
5. Marks on pillows/towels.
6. No toilet-brush.
7. Poor shower.
8. In general there seemed to be non-guest 'hanging about' the prorperty so we were worried about security given our room was located far away from the entrance.
9. Restaurant was closed, only bar food was available.
10. Bar was closed at 9pm (after a long day of travelling from Ayers Rock this was especially disappointing). It was a saturday night.
11. People checking us in were very rude, in fact all staff seemed to be 'trainees'.
DO NOT STAY HERE

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Chris W
All_Seasons_GM, General Manager at Ibis Styles Alice Springs Oasis, responded to this reviewResponded February 15, 2013

Thank you for your review.

I am very concerned that your stay was below expectation and would like to speak with you directly to discuss the situation. I offer my unreserved apology for any area which we may have underdelivered.

Given the strong feelings that you have displayed, I hope that you will take the opportunity to contact me so I can address the situation in person and develop a resoution.

My direct details are 08 8958 3311 and dougal.mcconnell@accor.com.

Reviewed January 28, 2013

Rooms are adequate, the beds are on wheels so expect to roll through the room a bit. Two swimming pools on site. Guest laundry facilities proved very handy after a 5 day camping trip through the Red Centre. Front office duty manager is very friendly, great guest interaction and service.
Location is close to town square, can cab it too without any hassles.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
All_Seasons_GM, General Manager at Ibis Styles Alice Springs Oasis, responded to this reviewResponded January 28, 2013

Thanks very much for your review and it's great to read that you enjoyed your visit.

We hope that we may see you again.

Reviewed January 18, 2013

We stayed here on two occasions and our experiences were quite different. The first time, we had just arrived from the airport (9pm). Reception was not open, which was a shock. We went to the bar to get our key, but had no idea where the room was located since nobody told us. It turned out to be up a single flight of stairs, but there was no lift, which gave us a bit of a struggle with the luggage. This was the most basic of any of the rooms we had whilst travelling Australia, but it still had a fridge, iron etc. The sheets looked as though they hadn't been changed since the last occupant – there were crumbs or something in them. When we returned from Uluru for a second visit (it was pre-booked) to a different room, the sheets were much nicer quality, clean, and the room was spacious though much noisier (facing the road). There was a guest laundry, which proved useful at that point in our trip. Alice Springs wasn't too far away, but we drove in and found parking quite easily.

Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
All_Seasons_GM, General Manager at Ibis Styles Alice Springs Oasis, responded to this reviewResponded January 20, 2013

Thanks very much for your review.

Please accept my apologies for your arrival being less smooth than we would have hoped. Indeed, our reception does close at 8pm (generally well after all scheduled flight arrivals and departures). In this instance, the bar staff do continue to provide this service and I apologise if we didn't explain the location of the room -- I will follow up with the team.

Being a two storey hotel, half of our rooms are on ground level and half on the first floor. We are pleased to allocate accommodation based on any guest's preference. We certainly do clean the rooms throughly between each occupant and I apologise the the linen on your first stay was not up to standard. We have commenced a linen replacement program and I'm pleased the your second visit was at a higher standard.

I'm pleased that you found the guest laundry useful - it's well received by our guests, and. yes, the town centre is only a 10 minute walk or a very short drive away.

Thanks again for taking the time to review the team, and please let me know if I can ever be of assistance.

dougal.mcconnell@accor.com
Ph: + 61 8 8958 3311

Reviewed January 3, 2013

We stayed just for one night at this hotel, location was good and in walking ditance to shops etc. The room was ok although very basic as was the breakfast. The bar and restaurant menus we found expensive for what they were and had two pizzas for dinner which seemed to just be frozen, from the box pizzas which werent great. The pool was nice and a good haven out of the heat. Reasonably priced.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank sunshine0710
All_Seasons_GM, General Manager at Ibis Styles Alice Springs Oasis, responded to this reviewResponded January 10, 2013

Thanks very much for your review.

Please accept my apologies as your pizza was not at the expected standard -- I appreciate the feedback so we can ensure our standards are met in the future.

I am pleased that the remainder of your stay was acceptable and, yes, the two pools are certainly a haven from the summer heat.

Reviewed December 19, 2012