“Cool, comfortable”

Ranked #6 of 13 Hotels in Alice Springs
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
“Cool, comfortable”
Reviewed January 13, 2013

I had booked Alice Lodge Backpackers but the air con there had broken down there so I was sent ("upgraded") to here instead and I think I landed very lucky. The room had air con and a ceiling fan which made the 44 degree heat outside bearable at night, although I DID occasionally share the room with a couple of geckos ;( Cereals and bread were provided for breakfast in the kitchen and there was free (but unreliable) wifi. The pool was small but clean.

Gee the owner/manager is friendly, full of advice (and opinions) and helpful. Beware the promise of free transport from the airport: that IS the case, but you have to pay $15 for the return trip!

The owners of this hotel and Alice Lodge Backpackers also run Emu Tours so expect to have this operator recommended.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank DuthieDuck
AliceMotorInn, General Manager at Alice Motor Inn, responded to this review, January 13, 2013
Dear DuthieDuck

Thanks for your review of Alice Motor Inn. I am glad you enjoyed your stay at Alice Motor Inn and am sure you would have enjoyed the upgrade from Alice Lodge backpackers which is our sister concern and is the best back packer accommodation in the region.

I am also glad that you found my advise helpful as I do try to ensure our guests have the most pleasant stay at our motel. I am not too sure about your comment about my opinions? Sorry about any geckos that you have mentioned and at times the little fellas sneak into the rooms when the door is left open. We try to ensure that rooms are cleaned and kept free of these little harmless fellas.
We also deal with all tour companies in the region and Emu Run is one of the best that operates here. We have never forced our guests to travel with a particular company but provide advise as per guest feedback. Please let me know if you did not enjoy your tour with Emu Run and I can forward any feedback to them though we regullarly get very good feedback from our guests and allso on this very site.
I am quite astonished at your rating of value for the motel inspite of being charged such a low rate for accommodation.

I think our pool is quite a decent sized pool for our motel size and is appreciated by all our guests. Our wi-fi works fine in rooms and I am not too sure about the unreliable bit. We have never had any issues with our wi-fi and our guests are quite appreciative of both our free wi-fi and a good breakfast which consists of cereals, breads, 5 spreads, tea, coffee and eggs from our chickens (depending on availablity).

Thanks once again for your review and we wish you safe travels for the future.

info@alicemotorinn.com.au

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Bothell, Washington
Reviewed December 17, 2012

We were staying the for our first and last night in Alice Springs. We were on tour in between. The service was really great. They let us keep our big bag there while we went on our Outback tour. Our room was clean and comfortable. They also have a pool with an outdoor BBQ and a kitchen. There were some people that arrived late and made a lot of noise but the proprietor wouldn't tolerate it and let them know.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank ElaineLisa
AliceMotorInn, General Manager at Alice Motor Inn, responded to this review, December 20, 2012
Dear ElaineLisa

Thanks for your review of Alice Motor Inn. We are glad you enjoyed your stay and look forwad to having you visit us again sometime in the future. We do offer free luggage storage facilities to all our guests as it is very difficult to enjoy tours carrying all the luggage, so just makes it a bit easier.
Yes I am a bit upfront if I feel someone is being too loud, especially at night as I am well aware of my guests who are very tired especially after touring. We want everyone to have a nice time while staying at Alice Motor Inn.
Thanks once again for such a lovely review of our place and services and we wish you and your family a very Merry Christmas and a safe and prosperous New year.

Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed December 16, 2012

We stayed here Nov 22 to 28. There were 4 couples, 2 couples had their own room, $80, and 2 couples shared a room, $105. Thr rooms were great, each having a small fridge, plenty of hot water and a quiet AC.The bigger room also had a ktichen area. A simple breakfast is included in the room rate and is served from 4am to 10am, nice and early for those that are heading to Uluru. The pool area is very inviting and the INN manager keeps it very clean. The manager is a very cheerful and approachable person. At check in you feel very welcome as the manager is very inviting and is full of good advise.

The BBQ area is very pleasant and we spent most of our time in that area.

Location is excellent as there is a good grocery/liquor store less then a 10 minute walk away and a bus stop right out front. The Alice springs downtown area is about a 20 minute walk away.

I would stay here again.

Room Tip: We stayed in a ground floor and a upper floor room, both were great. i don't think there is a b...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank ERDFirefighter
Dear ERDFirefighter

Thank you so much for your excellent review and appreciation of Alice Motor Inn. I hope all of you enjoyed (or are still enjoying) Australia. It was an absolute pleasure having you stay with us and we are very grateful and happy that you enjoyed your stay. We look forward to having you visit us again in the future. Please wish a a very Merry Christmas and a healthy and prosperous New year to all your friends from the Alice Motor Inn Team.
Thanks once again for staying with us and the review.

Guernsey, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 9, 2012 via mobile

We were impressed by our friendly welcome here and the fact that we were upgraded to a deluxe room, which was very spacious. The location could be better, as it's a hefty walk to the more backpacker-friendly area and taxis are expensive. But if you have a car that would be no problem, and it is a motel after all. We stayed in a hostel elsewhere in Alice and preferred the Alice Motor Inn - clean, free breakfast and free wifi, so pretty good value.

• Stayed December 2012
1 Thank HB274
Dear HB274

Thanks for your review and your appreciation of our service. We are pleased you enjoyed your stay at Alice Motor Inn and look forward to having you back in the future.
I would also like to wish you and your family a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year. Be Safe. Thanks once again for your review and appreciation.

Dublin Ireland
Reviewed December 3, 2012

We stayed in the Alice Motor Inn for three nights in November. The motel which is fairly basic is located on the outskirts of Alice Springs - there's a couple of restaurants within walking distance but you would need a car to get to the centre of town.

The luxury room that we stayed in was a fine size and very clean. The bed was very comfortable.

The couple running the motel are very friendly and are making great efforts to provide a good service.

The breakfast is a simple self service affair. It's a question of helping yourself from the cereals etc that are available in the small kitchen/eating area. The fresh eggs from their own hens is a nice touch and taste delicious.

The motel provides a grate base to visit Uluru and is very reasonably priced.

Room Tip: Its worth paying a little extra for the luxury rooms
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Swords_Surfer
AliceMotorInn, Manager at Alice Motor Inn, responded to this review, December 6, 2012
Dear Swords_Surfer

Thanks for your review for our property and we are delighted that you enjoyed your stay at Alice Motor Inn. I am also grateful for your appreciation of our cleanliness and we do try to ensure all guest needs and expectations are met.
We would like to wish you and your family a very prosperous festive season and new year.
Safe Travelss
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 25, 2012 via mobile

Booked under old management as a place to stay night before, and night after, a 3 day Outback tour. Main booking point was that we could store our large bags here while on tour. Accommodation can be expensive in Alice but, as I'm a little over hostels, thought this would be ok.
Again, under old management, requested a quiter room and was given room 13, the "disabled" room (I don't have a disability) but all rooms would be quite here. Room 13 is a "deluxe" room...it had a table and chairs in it and, in fairness, was spacious but "deluxe", no.
The motel is very dated and rooms,furnishing and linen in need of a serious makeover and a deep clean. Carpet and fixtures where badly stained. Dust build up on light fittings and sticky mugs in room made me shudder. Door chain missing and door handle broken (pics provided). We jammed two chairs against door before going to bed. Property is secured by an electronic gate.
I was woken up and kept awake with every flush of every loo in our block.
As we were only going to be there for a very brief two separate nights, we wernt too bothered - just kept my flip flops on, lights low and tongue in my cheek. If had booked for longer, would have requested to change rooms or left and gone elsewhere.
It is a good 10 minute walk to town centre and no, I didn't feel safe walking it. This is saying something as neither my travelling companion or I scare easily. Fine if in car or maybe in a group. It's such a shame but my spider senses where tingling the whole evening and we got a good shift on walking back!
On the positive side, kitchen and laundry facilities are good and there's free internet. Breakfast is available from 4am and is cereal, toast and eggs if you want.
Note: if you are going to store your main bags here while on tour, you have to do so before 19:30 the night before. Most Outback tours pick up around 05:45.
I wish the pleasent couple who have taken over the management of this place well and am sure they will bring up to standard.

• Stayed November 2012
2 Thank missyedwardsuk
AliceMotorInn, Manager at Alice Motor Inn, responded to this review, November 26, 2012
G'Day missyedwardsuk
Thanks for your review of our property. There are a couple of things you have not pointed out to the readers which I would like to enlighten them about. Firstly, you had paid for a standard double room and we gave you the quietest room we have which is the corner room in the deluxe rooms. We are a budget accommodation and we take immense pride in our cleanliness and service standards. I am sorry if you found the room not too your liking and certain areas pointed out by you have been addressed with housekeeping staff. The chains in the room were taken out some time ago as we have replaced the locks and the panel for the chain. I do not understand the point of a broken handle and needing to block the door with chairs?? You sound as if your room was unable to be locked which is not true for any rooms in our motel.
I have pointed in some earlier responses that there are various levels of accommodation available in Alice Springs and luxury does come with a hefty price tag. Our Deluxe Rooms are well appreciated by our budget conscious travellers and in fact just around the same time as your review a senior reviewer on this very site (staying near your room) has rated us quite different from what you have reviewed us at). I am also very sure that you did not once raise any of the noise issues with me even though I interacted with you regularly and in fact this is the first time I have even heard of this issue as our little motel is quite busy and no guest has ever mentioned this. Again the safety aspect mentioned by you is not substantiated and I am sure that a lot of information has been read on the internet and there is a fear even before travellers arrive in Alice Springs.(perhaps too much of Spiderman movies as well in your case)
Thank you for appreciating the laundry and Wi-Fi service and all I can say to conclude is if you are not satisfied with something in a motel, speak to the manager about it and all issues are very easily solved.
I wish you and your partner safe travels.
Gaurav(Gee) Rekhy
England
Reviewed November 25, 2012 via mobile

Having read some of the reviews about this motel I was a little worried as to whether I had booked well. I was looking for a cheap hotel and this was what I got. The owner was really nice and very helpful. I walked in to town in 11 minutes but I do walk quickly. The room was clean. The bed was very comfortable. The breakfast was fine Do you really need any more than a choice of cereal and bread for making toast? There was also plenty of choice of jams etc. the air conditioning was little noisy but I have known worse. There was a laundry and free wi fi. Thanks for the stay and for securing my luggage whilst I was on the Emu tour. I had a very nice meal at the casino, no more than5 minutes walk from the motel.

• Stayed November 2012
2 Thank YorkshireM
G’day YorkshireM

Some reviews from our esteemed guests make our day and inspire us to continue to put in the hard work to ensure our guests have a wonderful stay and your review is definitely one of them.
Thank you for your review about our services and standards and we appreciate your time in taking to put in a review, and also your appreciation for breakfast. We are very glad you enjoyed your stay at Alice Motor Inn and look forward to another visit in the future from you.
We are delighted to get a positive review from a senior reviewer and an experienced traveller like you.
We wish you Safe travels and Best wishes for the festive season fast approaching.