“WOW. Fantastic Trucks & History of Trucking in Aus.”

Road Transport Hall of Fame
Reviewed July 25, 2013

We stayed in The Alice for 6 weeks in June-July of 2010, and visited the Road Transport Hall of Fame twice, once with Trucking friends of our whom we met up with in Alice, and once on our own. WE LOVED IT; and NO we are not truckers. The history of trucking in Australia and being able to see one of the early Road Trains was a fantastic experience. The visit to the museum with our Trucker friend Ian, was even better. Ian was able to tell us about some of the people he'd had met who drove a few of the Rigs in the yard, especially the Big Blue Truck which was driven by a woman! My partner, Paul and myself were like two kids in a lolly shop when we arrived at the Kenworth exhibition, up into the trucks we hopped and pretend to drive them, must dig out our photos to upload to this site. Even if you are not into trucks, DO NOT MISS going to the Transport Hall of Fame, you will love it. PS. I have said it takes 2-3 hours, but, it could be in a shorter timeframe of longer, dependant on your interest.

1  Thank SallyMcBucko

Reviewed July 12, 2013

Well documented museum with interesting displays and many historic trucks.

The 1934 AEC and Rotinoff Viscounts are especially significant in the history of road train development.

1  Thank GeorgeEdmonds
Reviewed July 8, 2013

So many trucks and machinery items to see, easily spend a morning here. The boys were excited with lots of older models and shiny new models of trucks and cars.

1  Thank family_of_four_qld
Reviewed June 27, 2013

This place is filled with history, of course being a hall of fame, but there is something for everyone here and you could spend all day here. Behind every wall and around every corner is something from our past and they have done an awesome job in collecting and storing such. I loved the Kenworth Hall, with models of trucks parked in there to stay for all time. The history is interesting and I found myself trying to capture it in an image as best I could. The old road trains and truck outside, which are a little rusty, but full of character are being looked after and housed for everyone to enjoy. Is great to see such history and a real credit to the volunteers. Next door is the Old Ghan, which has a cafe in it as well as other items. We did not go through there but if you had all day, would be worth the look.

1  Thank Shizane
Reviewed June 24, 2013

I was a bit sceptical about going here as it seemed like men would enjoy it better than females but I actually found it interesting. It's amazing seeing all the trucks & also all the displays covering all the history.