“After 10 years in the Army, ration packs are better”
Review of Astor Inn

Astor Inn
Ranked #27 of 32 Hotels in Wagga Wagga
Reviewed October 2, 2011

How do I start without appearing negative? As I opened the door to take my wife out for a lovely meal on a Sunday night, I was greeted by a lovely young waitress who asked, "Do you have a reservation?" I scanned the room and counted eight people, and not wanting to appear rude, replied, "No. Is that a problem?" After being seated, I ordered the garlic bread, which was lovely and chargrilled, but for some reason had no garlic, but sugar on the bread! When asked if I would like an entree, I looked at my choices of the four available, oysters natural, oysters kilpatrick, oysters (different variation) and soup of the day. I chose oysters natural, thinking that might be the easiest option - sorry, got no oysters, was the reply. On to my choice of mains - I will have the surf and turf, cooked medium, thank you. Fifteen minutes later, out comes my porterhouse steak, not medium, not raw but still MOOING in the middle. I quietly asked the waitress over and asked, in a soft whisper, "What does this look like to you?" to which she replied, "I don't eat steak. I don't know". I asked for it to be cooked medium, ie; for those who don't know what medium is, a thin pink colour in the middle. I get up to go to the salad bar, and for all those in the army, you will recognise the standard of a few bits of lettuce, chopped cucumber and tomato, with some sprouts. Looking carefully around the salad bar for condiments and couldn't find any I once again asked a waitress where I would find the dressings, ie; italian, french etc. She replied, "We don't have any." Three minutes later my steak returns. THAT'S RIGHT, the same steak, which I had put ketchup on as a marking and cut (sliced) in two sections so I knew it was mine, came back hosed off of the previous sauce and re-dressed. The waitress asked if it was now to my satisfaction. I thought to myself, without making a scene, great, it has been microwaved and now tastes like an army boot.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
6  Thank Geoff S

Reviewed July 7, 2011

We had our son's March-out a couple of weeks ago and stayed at the Astor Inn. The train station where the Recruits are dropped off by bus is just at the back of the hotel, this where a lot of the Recruits' parents meet their son/daughter in Wagga and also where a lot of the parents/families say goodbye. I can actually see a few of the Recruits going into the hotel and visiting with their families.
As there were a few of us, we had the interconnecting rooms which I find was very reasonably priced. The rooms were a lot better than I was expecting, bathrooms were a good size, heating was excellent which I was very thankful for as it was very cold in Wagga when we were there.
This hotel is at the start of Bayliss St which is the main shopping street of Wagga and we can just walk everywhere!
Parking might be a bit tight at times especially at night, which we think is because of the Restaurant patrons but there is plenty of parking at the side and back of the hotel or you can always move your car later in the evening when the Restaurant guests leave, which is what we did on a Saturday night.
We did not get a chance to sample the Restaurant food as there were too many other options nearby. We enjoyed breakfast at the Coffee Club on Bayliss St which opens from 7am before going to the March Out Parade. We had an excellent dinner at Tira Thai restaurant, a bit pricey but food was excellent, the best 'pad thai' I've tasted in Australia!
The Astor Inn is definitely value for money, I highly recommend it as a base when in Wagga.

Room Tip: Mention you are visiting for the Army March Out to a get a 10% discount.
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
18  Thank fitchick711
Reviewed April 17, 2011

My husband and I stayed here for our daughters March Out in April and could not have picked a better spot. We booked a double and while we found it very small it was exceptionally clean and lets face it we were only there to sleep, the rest of the time was spent out but if you were going to bring your recruit back I would go for a slightly larger room.

Service was fantastic with the staff being friendly from the time we booked in to the lady who serviced our room. The bed was comfortable with fresh, crisp sheets and good pillows. The shower, hidden behind the toilet door, had instant hot water and great water pressure so you didnt have to run around to get wet which is appreciated after a hard days travel.

The shuttle dropped us off and picked us up for the March Out and airport with everything going like clockwork. Where the hotel is at the end of Baylis St and corner of Edward St we didnt need to hire a car to get about town, Baylis St is where the recruits are restricted to so it worked out well. Yes, the train station is about a stones throw away and there is a train that arrives at midnight, but that stones throw was also where the ARMY drop off and pick up.

There is a Beer, Wine and Spritis (BWS) next door so if you dont fancy using the mini bar then you are set. There is a Taxi ramp over the road (there are advantages to having the trains so close) and if you cant be bothered walking too far for a meal then the Hotel resturant does the best char grilled steak and chips in Wagga and again the staff are fantastic. The cooked breakfast for $14 was too big for me but my husband loved it and all cooked to perfection.

If you are expecting the Ritz then you have the wrong place but if you need somewhere to lay your head that is clean, good value for money, friendly staff and close to the main street of Wagga then you cant go past this place for value. The double was $105 per night and was serviced daily - oh and the coffee in the room was Moccona and the soap was not your usual harsh smelling stuff ...it is the little things:)

Room Tip: Great for ARMY March Out
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
10  Thank Rattyonhols
Reviewed February 6, 2010

We stayed 2 nights at the Astor. Quaint but comfortable room - all the necessary inclusions. WiFi available but not free. Limited Foxtel channels. Well located to the main street and railway station. Excellent restaurant on site called "Thomasinas" - but close to so many other choices. Staff were great - friendly and helpful. Great value at A$89/night. We would stay at the Astor again.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple