“One of the favs”

Cuisines: Asian, Japanese, Seafood
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Central Business District
Reviewed December 10, 2013

Masuya is one of those restaurants where delicious, fresh Aussie produce is merged with exquisite Japanese cooking artistry.

I love bringing overseas visitors to this establishment as they come to realise the high standard of Japanese food here in my own home town (rather than complaining how expensive everything is in Australia!).

Always a great place to dine with friends and a great range of beverages to go with their yummy menu!

Reviewed December 7, 2013

We went to Masuya last night and have been about 4 times in the last couple of years for special occasions. The food is always amazing. Had the agadashi tofu, edamame and sushi plate to start followed by the Sapporo hot pot. The service is perfect and the bill was under $120. Love this restaurant and love that it's mostly filled with Japanese families.

Reviewed December 6, 2013

Great lunch/ dinner spot for a catch up with friends. I have been there lots of time and still my favourite is their salmon lover bento during lunch time. Their sashimi are really fresh. Love this place!

Reviewed November 28, 2013

A very good and reliable choice if you fancy some quality Japanese food. Very clean and great service.

Reviewed November 24, 2013

Went to Masuya, it was the first time in almost 10 years. They have seen change of management over the years so I was keen to see what it is like now compared to before.
It was a good experience overall.
1) reservation - made by phone, for 7pm for 2 diners for a Friday night. I was advised that there was specific seating time, which was 6pm-8pm, and then 8pm till late. It meant we would be out by 8pm. I said ok as I knew I wasn't going to sit there for hours for prolonged dinner.
2) welcome - got to the restaurant at 7pm sharp, immediately taken to a reserved table by a friendly staff member who spoke good English.
3) Order was taken within 10 minutes (it took us 10 minutes to decide), the dishes were, Tofu & Seaweed salad, Agedashi Tofu, Miso Eggplant, Veggie Tempuras, plate of sashimi, & a plate of sushi, plus 2 drinks (mojito & beer).
4) Service - extremely fast. Our dishes were served separately but all up it only took them literally 5 minutes for all to be served, even the Tempuras & Miso eggplant. And the restaurant was almost full by then.
5) Taste - I took care of the salad, tempuras, eggplant & agedashi tofu, they were of good quality. The salad looked a little too basic and with not much of presentation but it was only tofu & seaweed (with avocado) salad with no seafood in it so the rather plain look of it was understandable.
Sushi and sashimi received a thumbs up from my partner who loves seafood & sushi (Being a vegetarian I didn't eat these).
6) Value for money - with all these dishes and drinks, the bill was only $85. The price is a little higher than some smaller Japanese restaurants/cafes in North Shore but Masuya is in the Sydney CBD and as said, the food is really of good quality so I find the bill reasonable.
7) Overall - the restaurant was busy and I witnessed all sorts of diners, from couples to friends to families. They all seemed to be enjoying themselves and the staff members being efficient (as far as I could see), there was nothing really I would rate negatively.

I have to say I am pleased to know that this place remains, if not better, as good a place as it was before, and I will definitely return to Masuya in future, whether it is for dinner for 2, or for dinner with a group of friends.