WINNER WONDERLAND

Le Pelican
Ranked #330 of 5,623 Restaurants in Sydney
Cuisines: French
Good for: Families with children, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Brunch, Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: Surry Hills
wellington
“Charming, excellent food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 3, 2012

This is a charming place with the most lovely front of house staff; modern French food served in a no-fuss approach. Would be delighted to return - prices reasonable

Visited October 2012

Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
“Your local corner restaurant in Paris”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 30, 2012

I love Le Pelican. I have been there about 20 times now over the past year or so and feel like I'm just in Paris, going to my local (and very good) neighbourhood restaurants where the food has a consistent standard, the wine is excllent and it doesn't blow the budget. It is french brassiere style with good specials. I like the ambience, the staff, the food and the choice of wine. Is it the finest restaurant in Australia no, but I come back here more times than any other restaurants I know. The oysters are always terrific AND freshly shucked, this time i reluctantly bypased the Onglet for the lamb and it was completely delicious. Everyone (six of us) ate everything and some naughty girls stole their unfinished french butter pats (in a container.) In fact I shouldn't tell you about this restaurant at all, in case it gets too hard to get in.

• Visited November 2012
1 Thank Christine F
Bega, NSW, Australia
“Food as pleasure”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 9, 2012

If eating is a pleasure - and of course it can be - this restaurant is pleasure's accomplice.

I ate here with my daughter and husband on a rainy night at short notice almost a year ago and I haven't forgotten it yet. The staff had a light, humorous touch; the atmosphere was cosy and rich; the service thoughtful and intelligent and the food a witty surprise.

Everything we ate (fish pie, stuffed zucchini, something delicious or other) was superb and perfectly presented, without being pretentious.

We left feeling we'd experienced a near-perfect meal in a comforting environment. The rain pelting down on a warm summer's night must've helped us feel we were taking time out from the ordinary but I doubt it accounted for everything...

• Visited December 2011
bermagui
“Le tres bon pelican”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 23, 2012

Most times i come to sydney I find a highlight of the trip is our meal at le pelican in Bourke st. Everything about this intimate wonderfully friendly restaurant invokes memorable experiences. The food from the short menu plus blackboard specials is superb.Always an eagerly accepted amuse bouche starts a gastronomic experience that we talk about for the whole trip home. In my experience there are some chefs that not only can cook but do understand tastes and the correct combinations. The team at le pelican have that trait. A trip out the back passed the excellence award for food handling you can see a devoted team doing what they like doing. The staff are a delight and add to the wonderful ambience. I am particularly impressed by the fact that the staff open the best Sydney Rock Oysters as they are ordered. this ensures these beauties are presented at their best. It took me a while to write a review as i wanted to keep this place as my Sydney secret.

• Visited September 2012
Sydney, Australia
“Fantastic food in romantic atmosphere”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2012

Food was fantastic, we had a vegetable special for entree, and a fish pie for main (subtle, lovely flavours), as well as a side salad (a bit too vinegar-y for my taste). Dessert chocolate fondant was divine, except I found the thyme ice cream way too overpowering. Only con is the pricetag, and this might explain why such a delicious little joint was so quiet. Sydneysiders don't seem to embrace french food at the moment, and they won't be tempted to give it a go for these prices- not unreasonable for us but still on the pricey side. Service great, not too annoying but attentive and pleasant, taking the time to explain the menu. Music was a bit of a non-fit but didn't bother us too much :)

• Visited September 2012