“Food as pleasure”

Neighborhood: Surry Hills
Bega, NSW, Australia
“Food as pleasure”
Reviewed November 9, 2012

If eating is a pleasure - and of course it can be - this restaurant is pleasure's accomplice.

I ate here with my daughter and husband on a rainy night at short notice almost a year ago and I haven't forgotten it yet. The staff had a light, humorous touch; the atmosphere was cosy and rich; the service thoughtful and intelligent and the food a witty surprise.

Everything we ate (fish pie, stuffed zucchini, something delicious or other) was superb and perfectly presented, without being pretentious.

We left feeling we'd experienced a near-perfect meal in a comforting environment. The rain pelting down on a warm summer's night must've helped us feel we were taking time out from the ordinary but I doubt it accounted for everything...

• Visited December 2011

bermagui
“Le tres bon pelican”
Reviewed October 23, 2012

Most times i come to sydney I find a highlight of the trip is our meal at le pelican in Bourke st. Everything about this intimate wonderfully friendly restaurant invokes memorable experiences. The food from the short menu plus blackboard specials is superb.Always an eagerly accepted amuse bouche starts a gastronomic experience that we talk about for the whole trip home. In my experience there are some chefs that not only can cook but do understand tastes and the correct combinations. The team at le pelican have that trait. A trip out the back passed the excellence award for food handling you can see a devoted team doing what they like doing. The staff are a delight and add to the wonderful ambience. I am particularly impressed by the fact that the staff open the best Sydney Rock Oysters as they are ordered. this ensures these beauties are presented at their best. It took me a while to write a review as i wanted to keep this place as my Sydney secret.

• Visited September 2012
Sydney, Australia
“Fantastic food in romantic atmosphere”
Reviewed September 23, 2012

Food was fantastic, we had a vegetable special for entree, and a fish pie for main (subtle, lovely flavours), as well as a side salad (a bit too vinegar-y for my taste). Dessert chocolate fondant was divine, except I found the thyme ice cream way too overpowering. Only con is the pricetag, and this might explain why such a delicious little joint was so quiet. Sydneysiders don't seem to embrace french food at the moment, and they won't be tempted to give it a go for these prices- not unreasonable for us but still on the pricey side. Service great, not too annoying but attentive and pleasant, taking the time to explain the menu. Music was a bit of a non-fit but didn't bother us too much :)

• Visited September 2012
1 Thank eMzdee
“Wonderful Birthday Dinner”
Reviewed July 14, 2012

Visited this restaurant in May for my husband's birthday as a friend had recommended it. What a little jewel! We had scallops and a fish stew for entree, followed by the onglet and pork cutlet, all delicious! For dessert I had the delectable cheese plate while my husband had the yummy souffle. Beautiful fresh bread and French red wine made this a truly memorable meal.

Visited May 2012
1 Thank 29plymouth
Brisbane, Australia
“Just say duck”
Reviewed July 3, 2012 via mobile

Our family enjoyed a yummy dinner here last night. The ambiance is perfect. Out of 4 of us, we had 3 different mains. My 14 year old son stated, after tasting the other dishes, "my dish is amazing, but I think it is the worst one on the table". We all agreed that my duck was the winner of the evening. It was perfectly cooked, had a bit of sweetness from the dates and a little crunch from the hazelnuts. Yum!! My only complaint was that our door was only lukewarm. Thankfully, the flavours were so good that we were able to overlook that slight imperfection to a great evening