“Nice Lunch”

Neighborhood: Central Business District
Chicago, Illinois
“Nice Lunch”
Reviewed May 27, 2013

I wouldn't rank this as a hugely authentic Japanese restaurant, but I nevertheless enjoyed my lunch here. The menu was wide-ranging and the space (in the QVB) very pleasant, with seating either in the restaurant or in the building's beautiful atrium. I ordered a teriyaki bento box. Everything was delicious and the portion was very generous--it came with a moist and flavorful chicken teriyaki over rice, some nice pieces of sushi, a carrot salad, and a few other things. I'd happily return for a simple, delicious lunch.

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank brmusicman

“Disappointed”
Reviewed April 18, 2013

I have eaten here before and the food and service is generally quite good, but recently I ordered a Katsu meal and the chicken was small, about 1mm think and with several more mm of coating on each side. I can get a larger, better version in Chinatown for 1/3 the price !!

Won't be going back

• Visited February 2013
kismetkate
“fusion tea room”
Reviewed October 7, 2012

This elegeant tea room is a lovely place for lunch high up in the gracious Queen Vic building in the city. The sushi and sashimi is always a safe bet, fresh and beautifully presented. There are also lovely salads and more substantial hot dishes including a great tempura and some very generous bentos.The service is impeccable. There is a wide selection of teas but they are licensed if you fancy wine. Desserts are rather dull but for ladies that luch that is something of a plus...

• Visited July 2012
1 Thank kismetkate
Newcastle, Australia
“Wonderful Japanese food”
Reviewed August 5, 2012

This is my favourite Japanese restaurant in Sydney and the food here is about as far away from food from a sushi franchise as Tokyo is from Sydney.

Visited July 2012
1 Thank Journeywoman55
Wellington, NZ
“Some 'Fawlty Towers' moments”
Reviewed April 25, 2010

I would reiterate YoungPhoenix's comments about the strange mix of European and Japanese food. I can understand the owner wanting to attract as broad a clientele as possible, but the mix doesn't work and I wonder if the Japanese food suffers from the distraction of the other food on offer.
We wanted a quick breakfast one weekend morning and this was the only place in QVB with a few empty seats (we should have known better).
The staff do not have a good grasp of English and did not understand anything we asked for. My fruit toast arrived from the kitchen with no spread of any kind and I had to resort to charades to make my request for butter understood. But the time it arrived (on the second attempt), my toast was well & truly cold.
On top of this, the coffee machine was out of action the morning we were there, however they do offer a good range of quality teas.
The staff were all very sweet, but inefficient and ineffective, and only one could operate the till. The owner seemed to be hanging around but not doing much.
A number of people were complained while we were there including one man who had sent his food back twice as it was not what he had ordered.