“Always great Vietnamese food - best in Sydney”
Review of Chu Bay

Cuisines: Asian, Vietnamese
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: Surry Hills
Reviewed November 5, 2012 via mobile

When you step foot into this restaurant it seemingly takes you back to the 70's with its decor, but don't let this put you off!

The food here is wonderful, the best Vietnamese I have had in Sydney - try the sugar cane prawns, fresh spring rolls, salt & chilli calamari if you want something light & fresh. We come here at least once a month & the service is always the same which is fast & friendly.

Make sure you make a booking though, it is always packed out!

1  Thank punkrockess

Reviewed October 10, 2012

I was taken to Chu Bay by a friend and I must admit the food was out of this world. If you are looking for flash décor this is not the place, if you are looking for authentic Vietnamese cooking this is the place.
The restaurant is small neat and tidy, but you do not feel cramped, the service is family orientated, which means very personal. The food was served very quickly and enjoyed by all of us; the pork dumplings which you construct yourself were fantastic. All our other dishes were very tasty; we had 2 entrees and 2 main courses with rice between 3 people, more than enough for 3 big eaters. The cost per person including tip was $20.00, one the best tasting and best value meals I have ever had.

1  Thank R_rodan
Reviewed October 4, 2012

This is the first restaurant I go to when I return to Sydney, and I eat there at least 3 times in a two week holiday, it is my favourite restaurant in downtown Sydney.

Go early if you want a quiet dinner, as later the small restaurant fills up with people having a great time. Make reservations if you are going after 6.30 any night :)

The food is excellent, the serving sizes perfect and the service is very good.

It is BYO which is a bonus.

1  Thank WendyandLyn
Reviewed June 30, 2012

What a find this restaurant was! My friends and I have been going here for over 10 years and never had a bad meal or experience! It is in a old style terrace house and to look at it from the outside you probably would walk past. Stop, don't go past, GO Inside, you will be so Glad you did!!!!!! The restaurant is small, run by a very nice Vietnamese family but what it lacks in space is made up by the best food ever!!!!!! The dishes are freshly cooked with local produce and the variety is unbelievable! My friends and I love it so much. I can only say, go there try the food as it will express every thing you can say about how good the food is!!!!! One mouthful and you will be converted. If you don't like the food then there is something wrong with your taste buds!! One thing it is a BYO but there is a fantastic bottle shop right across the road which has a fantastic range to choose from to enjoy and the restaurants happy to put you drinks in the fridge until you are ready to drink them!!!! Enjoy this little gem....make it a must visit next time in town.....We love you Chu Bay, Live Long and prosper!!!!!

1  Thank agentc02
Reviewed June 19, 2011

We've been eating at Chu Bay for about eight years, and it never fails to deliver a good standard of food.

The menu is fairly simple, but has a good range of dishes, all of which use lots of fresh vegetables and herbs. The beef stir-fry and the honey chicken are particularly good.

This is a friendly and reliable family owned restaurant that has a loyal following of customers.

1  Thank TheRoamingBrit