WINNER WONDERLAND

Maggie's Potts Point
Ranked #985 of 5,644 Restaurants in Sydney
Cuisines: German, European, Austrian
Good for: Large groups, Families with children, Kids
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Brunch, Breakfast, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: City East
Brisbane, Australia
“you get what you pay for”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2013

Good Wiener schnitzel and cabbage. The rosti was a little soggy and needed more salt but was a big portion and for $19 is great value. The desserts are not the best but they are cheap and good value. We would certainly go again for a cheap, fun night out.

Visited February 2013
1 Thank aneil4227

Sydney, Australia
“An oldie but a goodie”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 9, 2013

Though not nearly up to the standards of the now long gone, and much missed, Stutgarter Hoff of Darlinghurst fame, but still a good eatery, that is if you don't need to pay by credit card. Don't expect the authentic food of Germany with the corresponding regional delights; you will nevertheless get a good and hearty 'sought of German' meal served in a 'sought of German' way. Have the pork knuckle when available if your hungry. Forger about the desserts. The European beers are not bad value and go splendidly with the food on offer.

• Visited February 2013
2 Thank Michael S
Sydney, Australia
“Good winter meal”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2012

Maggies is an institution in Potts Point. Reasonably priced wholesome food. I've been here several times the food is good not fantastic. A very easy night out.
They Only take cash. In this age of credit cards I find this amazing for a restaurant.
If you want a basic meal Maggie's is for you. If you want more interesting food maybe not.

1 Thank MeeshellB
MELBOURNE
“Yum!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2012

We decided to go Maggie's after Una's on Darlighurst was packed in, I have eaten at both in the past and both places are pretty much the same except Maggie's Venue is larger.
Great place if your hungry, large meals in a traditional Europe style.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank SHANMAN82
Padua, Italy
“HOSTILE STAFF...THREATENED ME WITH POLICE”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 3, 2012

Eight friends booked a table at MAGGIES restaurant in Kings Cross last night Tuesday 3 July. I arrived early and was greeted by a very nice , friendly and helpful Indonesian waitress. She impressed me with her professionalism as she offered me a drink while I waited for my friends as I was Half an hour early. She also offered a small sample of wine i was interested in ordering before I did, I was very impressed by this .
MAGGES is a restaurant serving simple, tasty home style German meals…so sauerkraut , rosti, kassler, pork hock, white sausage and schnitzels. The meals are huge and very reasonably priced for the size of the portions. I enjoyed my meal very much as did all my friends.
It is a cosy restaurant and was quite well patronised for a tuesday night. We all felt comfortable there .
The restaurant had emptied out considerably by the time we asked for our bill. When the bill came I took on the task of collecting the money from my friends… Seven people paid in cash collectively , i needed to pay my share by credit card. We had already added an extra $25 in cash tips for the waitress to the pile of money. The young lady , who was previously very friendly and accommodating as I described, immediately turned around to me and declared in a very unfriendly manner that they do not take split bills. …. UMMM wait a minute , this is not a split bill … the bill was ONE BILL of $257.00 , here is $200 cash plus your $25 in a cash tip, and may i pay the $57 on a master card . NO was the reply…we cannot do that .....it says on the menu , she said ……pointing to very small print , no normal sighted person can see , let alone an old granny like me , we do not split bills. SORRY IT IS THE RESTAURANT POLICY ....., THIS IS NOT SPLITTING BILLS, THIS IS SPLITTING A PAYMENT , NOT 8 FOLD , BUT 2 FOLD. …AND WHERE IS THE PROBLEM ? ? ? ? There were further mutterings by the previously helpful now turned aggressive waitress , with whom I became irritated in the extreme , wondering what inhospitable, unaccommodating and ungrateful restaurateur decided to establish this unfriendly and self destructive policy into his establishment.
Obvious to me it seemed that it was far more important for them to enforce the ""rules"""than to be hospitable, ACCOMMODATING and act with some kind of good will and gratitude to customers. I was dealing with extreme pettiness now.
The waiter/cashier , then came to the table with the card machine, with a sour look on his face AND with a superior attitude , as if we had committed some evil crime against humanity. I appealed to him , that it was a very poor , unfriendly and attitude they were showing us right now ,considering we had enjoyed our meal, had been previously impressed by the waitress….and had included a $25 cash tip for her. To which he replied we could keep our tip , they did not want it.
The piece to take the cake was when the cashier threatened to CALL THE POLICE if I did not leave the premises. This he did when I stated to him how unreasonable the policy was , especially as it was not a busy night, and especially since we had left quite a substantial tip for the SERVICE..

I was in the company of seven people all in business in various fields of retail, myself being a veteran restaurateur of 4 establishments and small hotel owner . We were all shocked to the core by this unnatural and bad behaviour, by these employees over something as simple as putting a card through a machine. It was just going to be too much trouble for them .The cashier even went on to accuse me of being a trouble maker , in spite of this I insisted they keep the tip.
Obviously neither of these two owned this business , and the absence of the owner was sorely missed on this occasion.. I am sure the owner will be horrified to read this report. It was definitely a turnoff to ever going to this place again for any of us.
OH AND DID THE WAITRESS SAY THANKYOU FOR HER TIP ? … NO SHE DID NOT ….

This ending to our otherwise pleasant evening spoiled the whole experience . none of us will be returning to Maggies in Kings Cross.

• Visited July 2012