“Make sure you are hungry”

Maggie's Potts Point
Ranked #1,018 of 5,833 Restaurants in Sydney
Cuisines: German, European, Austrian
Good for: Large groups, Families with children, Kids
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Brunch, Lunch, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: City East
Queensland
“Make sure you are hungry”
Reviewed June 22, 2012

We almost always visit Maggie's once on every trip to Sydney and have never been disappointed. The meals are so big I am yet to actually finish a whole dish. We started dining here when it was operating out of Darlinghurst more than 15 years ago and the consistency has remained the same. Excellent quality, hearty and filling Austrian food. I usually order the same dish every time as I just love their Jaeger Schnitzel which comes as two large pieces of golden fried veal or chicken schnitzel with delicious mushroom sauce and the best potato rosti. The atmosphere is great and quirky and the staff are very efficient. We have never waited long for our meals to arrive, even when they are busy. Without fail we are always asked during the meal if everything is ok. I am dying to try their pork knuckle, maybe tonight as we are going again. We have learnt not to order entree as the main meal is sufficient enough and we are big eaters. Make sure you are hungry before you go. Decent wine list with several European selections which is becoming a rarity these days.
Breakfast is also available but dinner is when you really appreciate their specialties.

This is not upmarket, fairly casual but you are looked after well by staff who know their product and are always happy to offer suggestions.

Sydney, Australia
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Schnitzel heaven”
Reviewed May 27, 2012

I was very happy to have chanced upon Maggies during a recent visit to Potts Point. We wandered in to this fabulously kitsch Tyrolean wonderland on a cold night, and the vibe inside was buzzy, fun and cosy.
The service was exactly how I like it - very efficient and friendly without being overly familiar.
The menu (both food and drinks) is vast, and the servings are huge. We were slightly concerned they were too big, but we managed to work through it all, because the food is just great: traditional Austrian / German and middle European dishes. There were 6 of us, and we all really enjoyed our meals.
The Jaeger schnitzel seemed to be the hot favourite, but my personal highlight was the creamed spinach - the only time I have ever tasted better than my Hungarian grandmother's.
The prices were quite reasonable, especially considering the size of the meals.
We would all definitely go back, and I would recommend it for a fun, filling, low-key night out.

• Visited April 2012
1 Thank James A
Melbourne, Australia
“Hearty German Food”
Reviewed May 14, 2012

Maggie's serves huge hearty German fare like sausages and sauerkraut, thick roast pork potatoes, vegetables and crackling and of course beautiful big pieces of Cherry strudel. For 3 meals including a glass of wine each it was $70. The servings were so large, that I had to give some of my meal away to my 2 friends. Well worth it.

• Visited May 2012
2 Thank Jacinta3000
Newcastle, Australia
“Truly awful food”
Reviewed May 12, 2012 via mobile

This was one of the worst meals I have ever had. The food was burnt and what made it worse was it was cold too. When we complained our comments were ignored. My advice walk by and find somewhere else.

Sydney, Australia
“New Look Maggie”
Reviewed March 14, 2012

This Potts Point institution has made some changes recently, but cleverly left the essentials untouched - the Jager sauce, the Pork Knuckle, the Strudel is all the same as it ever was. New is the availability of lighter meal options, better salads, fresher produce, better wines. They has entertainment during Mardi Gras - a drag queen channeling the spirit of the original Maggie, twirling in a dirndl. Lots of fun for the crowd and indicative of the respectful but light hearted approach of the new management.

Visited March 2012